Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

Best away game!

I heard that and then thought I must have misheard or missed something else he said.

But apparently we deserved to win and it’s really hard to take...

westcoastcanary wrote the following post at 2017-11-22 10:17 PM:

Has it crossed anyone''s mind that Farke might actually be correct about last night being our best away performance?

I’d argue that Sheffield United away was the best performance of the season so far!

In all honesty the first half was our best away performance of the season based on last night being my 7th away trip so far but we fell away in the last 20 minutes  and became a bit sloppy. Once Murphy the Scummer scored there never was really a sustained period where we looked likely to draw level.Maybe scoring less than a goal a game in 18 league matches had me thinking that way ? I sincerely hope the teams below us do not pick up some points because if this run continues we could be sleepwalking into trouble by the New Year.

[quote user="City 2nd"]westcoastcanary wrote the following post at 2017-11-22 10:17 PM:

Has it crossed anyone''s mind that Farke might actually be correct about last night being our best away performance?

I’d argue that Sheffield United away was the best performance of the season so far![/quote]Farke has explained why he rates last night a better performance than Sheffield Utd. I''m simply reiterating a point made over and over again by Parma, that the perspectives of coach and fan are chalk and cheese. Farke is focussed on the fundamentals that underlie sustained success, not ephemeral conjunctions of events on a given day that mean a game is won or lost. 

[quote user="TIL 1010"]In all honesty the first half was our best away performance of the season based on last night being my 7th away trip so far but we fell away in the last 20 minutes  and became a bit sloppy. Once Murphy the Scummer scored there never was really a sustained period where we looked likely to draw level.Maybe scoring less than a goal a game in 18 league matches had me thinking that way ? I sincerely hope the teams below us do not pick up some points because if this run continues we could be sleepwalking into trouble by the New Year. [/quote]This has reminded me of some classic threads from days gone by for example -  "We''re sleepwalking to relegation",  "beating West Ham will relegate us".Will beating Preston relegate us? I wonder if there''ll be athread on it?[:^)]

He must have been on drugs...we won away at Middlesborough...on a tuesday night with a great goal! Farke should stop taking pills

I suspect what Farke was alluding to was his recognition that tippity tap was not working, though it brought us our best spell, so a more expnasive game was allowed.The previous tippity tap was ok if we got a goal up, or even held out for a draw, but had no real means of scoring if that wasn''t the caseAgainst Forest we looked far more adventurous. The ball was hit forward more frequently. Hanley was nor adverse to hoofing it when need needed, nor to placing a decent long ball either.One of the hardest jobs as a defender is when the ball is moving quick. Against Parma''s rather bizarre ramblings you do not have a whole day to write up a thesis on what is the best move next, taking all considerations into account, you react on the split second. A ball that was well outside of the box and is now in the six yard box can mean any misjudgement and you concede. Elsewhere on the pitch you simply lose possession.What we have been guilty of is long winded, slow build ups that allow defenders to ''re group'', you find who you are supposed to be marking, cover runners and block runs where possible. The more you funnel back to your own box the less space you afford the attackers - that is why too many shots are either easily saved or end up in row z. I would like to think that the earlier narrow victories were a result of us focusing on blocking the opposition from scoring at the cost of attacking - and what we are now seeing is us breaking out and trying to score whilst keep the defence tight. As I cannot believe anyone connected to the playing side could imagine that tippity tap is the way forward.

"I suspect what Farke was alluding to was his recognition that tippity tap was not working, though it brought us our best spell, so a more expnasive game was allowed."
There''s no need for you to "suspect" anything, and particularly not to attribute your own speculative imaginings to DF. He explained his meaning and why he rated the performance as he did; it''s there in the public domain for anyone sufficiently interested in listening rather than projecting their own views on him.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]"I suspect what Farke was alluding to was his recognition that tippity tap was not working, though it brought us our best spell, so a more expnasive game was allowed."
There''s no need for you to "suspect" anything, and particularly not to attribute your own speculative imaginings to DF. He explained his meaning and why he rated the performance as he did; it''s there in the public domain for anyone sufficiently interested in listening rather than projecting their own views on him.
[/quote]Selecting one sentence rather ''projecting your own views.Perhaps if you had heard or read Farke sayOur defending in Middlesbrough, Sheffield and Reading was brilliant but

it was more we scored and then had to shut everything down.get us a win
Which rather affirms my point. Once we are a goal down tippity tap stops us replying.. That we have now moved away from that should have been obvious to anyone watching the game. Did that happen by deed or accidentMy thought is that it was the former. You appear to differ. Perhaps another accident on Saturday may see us take another positive attitude to the game.... who knowsYou appear not to.

It is not really any different to the standard ''we''ll play worse than that and win'' line trotted out by most managers.

I wasn''t at the game but from what I''ve heard from those who were it was a decent performance just lacking end product. So it isn''t a hugely controversial statement, especially as he''s trying to boost the confidence of players in a poor run of form.

[quote user="City 2nd"]Mr Farke thinks it was our best away performance!

Really![/quote]Which would you rather have, a manager who simply trots out the same old meaningless cliches the majority of managers come up with, or one who tells you pretty honestly what he thinks?If you actually listen to why he thought that, rather than post a kneejerk reaction to a headline, then you may or may not agree with him but much of what he says seems to make sense to me.The only concern his comments raised with me was that on a number of occasions this season he talks as though creating a couple of good chances should be enough to win games if only we could take them. But in English football that is rarely true and certainly not for us at the moment - no disrepect to Cam or Nelson but hardly anyone has strikers that clinical or that strong a defence. 

I''d suggest the statement was more to boost the confidence of the supporters - but it''s difficult for most to accept it after a defeat!

A win on Saturday, with any sort of performance, will alleviate some of the concerns.

@Rhubarb
"Our defending in Middlesbrough, Sheffield and Reading was brilliant but it was more we scored and then had to shut everything down.get us a win

Which rather affirms my point. "
No, what it affirms is that you have missed, or deliberately choose to ignore, Farkes''s point. It might help if, instead of constantly rubbishing Parma''s excellent, exegetical threads, you actually opened your mind to his analyses.

[quote user="king canary"]It is not really any different to the standard ''we''ll play worse than that and win'' line trotted out by most managers.

I wasn''t at the game but from what I''ve heard from those who were it was a decent performance just lacking end product. So it isn''t a hugely controversial statement, especially as he''s trying to boost the confidence of players in a poor run of form.[/quote]A fair few were watching it online - it''s fairly easy.What I think has grated is Farke''s comments when we lost.But we did look more threatening and open that previous games. Players need to take ''risks'' especially when in their third and be willing to lose the ball. All too often we eventually get forward then seem more concerned with keeping possesion that trying to score.That only favours the defenders. If we brak then it has to be hell for leather for goal. No pausing, go with who is up and head for goal. Three against three is far easier than eight against eight.I appreciate that Farke''s job was as much about getting the right winning mentality as anything, but that is not going to be helped by negative tippity tap. It might look good just as fencing in an Olympic match might, but these games are hands on battles. And the fast bludgeon is often the best method of winning.

[quote user="Capt. Pants"]We lost and barely threatened their goal. There''s nothing best about it and no positives to take from it.[/quote]Results are the main thing - of course they are - but there will have been aspects of the performance against Forest that will have been better, otherwise the manager would not have said what he did.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]@Rhubarb

"Our defending in Middlesbrough, Sheffield and Reading was brilliant but it was more we scored and then had to shut everything down.get us a win

Which rather affirms my point. "
No, what it affirms is that you have missed, or deliberately choose to ignore, Farkes''s point. It might help if, instead of constantly rubbishing Parma''s excellent, exegetical threads, you actually opened your mind to his analyses.
[/quote]Parma''s sub Babelfish ramblings more like.It is not a game of chess where you have an hour or so to stroke your chin and analysis every variable then come up with something idiotic"Our

defending in Middlesbrough, Sheffield and Reading was brilliant but it

was more we scored and then had to shut everything down.get us a win

FARKEThe previous tippity tap was ok if we got a goal up, or even held out

for a draw, but had no real means of scoring if that wasn''t the case. MESeems fairly clear to me. Perhaps I should run it through Babelfish a couple of times, add some incomprehensible phases and suggest the game is played over five days with an hour thinking time between each pass."Klose moves out of Station to track an attacking breaker"The Coach - and to a lesser degree the Sporting Director - will suffer

the electric shocks as the front-of-house lightning rod, though it is

lack of foresight and wasteful short-termism at a higher level that has

created the painful actualité.

Passing players need to put better messages on the ballWhilst (correctly) adhering rigidly to structural Station is asking too much.

Of course it is shyte. Meaningless drivel for the most. Dressing up the blindingly obvious in long winded ''chinese manual instructions'' does not make them any the less obvious. Maybe the poor fellow might begin to understand the game when he factors in that there are also eleven others on the pitch who may have a different idea about, and influence on, what is happeningUntil then I shall leave it to [quote user="SwindonCanary"]Or simply get the guys to play faster and show a bit more energy !!    [/quote]

Poor Rhubarb doesn''t like flowery language.   Personally, I like the way Parma writes - someone who has learned the english language in such a way that it is so creative, is a joy to behold.  Yes, it''s difficult to read through sometimes, but the subtleties of his writing are there to enjoy - if you want to see them.  

I like Parma. Sometimes brevity is king though and he can spend 3 paragraphs saying what could be said in one. Each to their own though.

Another 15 or so away performances like that all ending in defeats and you will be happy will you when it means we go down?

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Another 15 or so away performances like that all ending in defeats and you will be happy will you when it means we go down?[/quote]Don''t know if this was meant for me Baldy but no I won''t be happy but the anaesthetic will have dulled the pain [;)]