Sign in to follow this  
Shannock Bob

Atmosphere and current state of football

Having read and taken part in Archant''s survey it is painfully obvious that the vast majority are not at all happy with the matchday experience at Carrow Road. I am no longer a season ticket holder due to work commitments and a lengthy house renovation but I hope to return when my boy is old enough to join me.

I have had season tickets however from the age of 8 for the next 28 plus years so I am coming from experience. In the handful of games I have been able to get to over the past few years I have been thoroughly unimpressed with the lack of atmosphere within the stadium and I feel it has a lot to do with the state of football in this country at the moment. The prices we have to pay to support our teams are an absolute scandal considering the amount the clubs receive from television rights and other mediums. Rather than going to players, agents et al these increases to the coffers should be filtered down as savings to the fans.

I recently had the fortune of attending a Bundesliga game at the tail end of last season and it is a footballing experience like I have never witnessed before. The atmosphere both inside the ground and outside was absolutely electric. Fans setting up gazebos selling beer for less than £2 and bratwurst for even less than that. Music playing and fans just meeting up and mingling hours before the game. There were no signs of trouble and the Police presence seemingly low.

Live music was playing inside the ground prior to kickoff and the stands full of flags were constantly waving and in full voice. It was the best football day out I have ever had and that includes our recent trip to Wembley!

With us introducing a German flavour to our line up and backroom team, I would love nothing more for us to embrace their culture and attitude towards fans and not continually look for ways to exploit and milk for our hard earned cash.

The former Bayern President said that the difference between £200 and £500 to their fan is a lot of money over a season ticket however across the stadium it is a few million pounds which is nothing to a club like them. What a positive PR exercise it would be for our club to come out with something similar.... you never know it could catch on and completely revitalise the game in this country and boy could we do with it.

Give the fans something back, I am positive the atmosphere would crank up with it.

I though fans went to games to watch footballBe careful the tail does not wag the dog

Rhubarb wrote the following post at 2017-11-23 8:34 PM:

I though fans went to games to watch football

Be careful the tail does not wag the dog

They do! But there’s not much of it on show at Carrow Road!

The lack of atmosphere is not a Carrow Road problem in my opinion - what grounds are actually renowned for their atmosphere?

In the Premier League atmospheres are normally pretty flat (of course there are exceptions in certain games), England games are now devoid of any atmosphere and Championship grounds are normally at least 1/3 empty

As a side note I’m currently watching the NFL, which has next to no atmosphere inside the grounds but is considered one of the best fan experiences because of all the other stuff that goes on (tailgating, cheerleaders, live music etc)

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]The lack of atmosphere is not a Carrow Road problem in my opinion - what grounds are actually renowned for their atmosphere?

In the Premier League atmospheres are normally pretty flat (of course there are exceptions in certain games), England games are now devoid of any atmosphere and Championship grounds are normally at least 1/3 empty

As a side note I’m currently watching the NFL, which has next to no atmosphere inside the grounds but is considered one of the best fan experiences because of all the other stuff that goes on (tailgating, cheerleaders, live music etc)[/quote]Because basically it is not a sport as we would nowIf folk enjoy themselves then good luck, but the fear would always be that football might slide towards this choreographed costume drama - whereby a few seconds of staged action are at the whim of sponsors and the TV.