Sign in to follow this  
Hoola Han Solo

Pulis

Play golf with a Baggie and he has been saying since August that Pulis knew he had to change his methods or face the sack.

Pulis knew it as well but did not have a chance of turning them into a free flowing entertaining side.

And he knew that if they slipped into trouble he would be gone.

Not even a third of the season gone and 5 Prem managers gone already.

Football as an industry is shyte nowadays.

he would not play great entertaining football but i am pretty sure he would gel us as a team and make the players put in more effort attacking wise

i am sure we would have more success with a direct approach and a tougher playing style

i think then if we got up we could worry about playing a better style of football

style or success is the question ??

Style and success aren''t either/or options. You can have both as plenty of sides at this level have shown in recent years.

Results are ultimately what matter but style gives you a longer rope to play with. With West Brom it seems fans are realising that actually the promised land of the Premier League is maybe not all it is supposed to be and that if all you''re doing is battling to reach 40 points each season you might as well make it reasonably decent to watch.

Probably true for most, yes.

For me, I''ve never been closer to giving up my season ticket than under Hughton. If we''d have stayed up and kept him I would probably have stopped going it got so dull.

The nature of football nowadays says success before style. The loyalty side of the game is diminishing so much.

To read and hear that Conte was under pressure is, if true, absolutely bewildering.

I cannot ever see there being any more dynsatys in football in this country. No more Liverpool and ManU collecting so many titles on the bounce.

And is it just supporters who put managers under pressure? I think the blame goes across the whole industry particuarly the media.

@CanaryKing

I''m not renewing for next season but it is down to a change in personal circumstance rather than the football. I''m willing to give this some time as I can see some potential in Farke and I like the model we have in place- I just think it will always be a huge struggle with the budgetary restrictions we have in place.

55 goals scored and 22 conceded at Carrow Road last season. And yet there were probably as many if not more boos then under Hughton. There''s the evidence that being entertained is not a priority for a lot of fans.

I''m being patient but finding it difficult to buy into what we are doing because it''s a poor reflection of what we had. Hopefully my patience will be rewarded in the fullness of time.

@Nutty

Because expectations change. In the Premier League the expectation was to fight against relegation, in the Championship our expectation last season was to be challenging for the top 2. Lots of goals is fine but if the team as a whole fall short of wider goals and expectations fans won''t be happy.

We''ve had this discussion before- ultimately, yes, results rule. Style helps but you usually need a mixture of the two to keep fans onboard.

Thing is, Pulis is unlikely to be out of work for long.

I''m with Nutty on this one, and I said in another thread, AN didn''t actually do that bad last season really. The expectations were high and we failed, and as a result so did he.

Pulis is not a progressional manager, and would probably command high wages. Plus the club has done and spent a lot to change to the new system, that won''t be changing now.

Hard to say why people boo as it''s not something I''ve ever felt to do but my guess is that last year''s unhappiness was down to a feeling that we were desperately under achieving. The squad we had was in many opinions one of the top two or three in the division and yet we failed to even make the playoffs. That and the fact that it felt like almost our last good chance of promotion for some time was drifting away.

So, agreed that entertainment comes second to results for many, if not most, myself included, up to a point.

This year I''m more prepared to cut some slack because of the belt tightening we''ve gone through and understand that that might take some working through (further austerity next year still to come). Like others have said though, you buy yourself a little more time to get things right if the football is entertaining.

Alex Neil did really badly last season.

According to our accounts we had the second biggest wage bill ever in the Championship, held onto most of our better players until January and yet from October onwards never looked like going up. Combined with the fact that he yet again failed to address our obvious defensive issues and his failure to use some of our most talented attackers and it all adds up to a sizable failure.

[quote user="king canary"]Alex Neil did really badly last season.

According to our accounts we had the second biggest wage bill ever in the Championship, held onto most of our better players until January and yet from October onwards never looked like going up. Combined with the fact that he yet again failed to address our obvious defensive issues and his failure to use some of our most talented attackers and it all adds up to a sizable failure.[/quote]
Alex Neil did really badly last season compared to reasonable expectations judged by the supposed value of players he had to work with. However that doesn''t take away from the entertainment of matches at CR where we scored 55 and conceded 22. This post serves to underline that league position is more important than entertainment.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]55 goals scored and 22 conceded at Carrow Road last season. And yet there were probably as many if not more boos then under Hughton. There''s the evidence that being entertained is not a priority for a lot of fans.

I''m being patient but finding it difficult to buy into what we are doing because it''s a poor reflection of what we had. Hopefully my patience will be rewarded in the fullness of time.
[/quote]Things must be bad if even you''re finding it all a bit grim Nutty. [:D] I''m sure your patience will be rewarded eventually but the question is how long can you wait ? You''re right that all this '' we want entertainment '' stuff is hogwash. If we were grinding out 1-0 wins every week and sitting ten points ahead at the top of the table I doubt we''d hear many complaints.Whatever the outcome at the City Ground tomorrow if try to get away with putting on last Saturday''s display next weekend when our ex-manager rolls into town I think we''ll all get a good idea about patience...

What with Pulis being Welsh if only Coleman had waited a few days they could have just swapped jobs and he would have got a Premiership job and not ended up at the bottom of the Championship. [:D]

He''s got more of a free hit with Sunderland though. Can blame errors of the past/state of the finances if he doesn''t do anything with them and if takes them up the league he''s done well.

WBA he''s got to keep them in the league and improve the style.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]The nature of football nowadays says success before style. [/quote]It would be nice to have just one of those but currently we have neither

Pipe dream

Farke will be here next season even if we finish in the bottom 6

Should be an interesting evening next week

No thanks.
It''s bad enough having to watch what we do now, let alone watch Pulis'' archaic hoofball shyte. He''s essentially Mick McCarthy 2.0 (or vice versa if you like).

No thanks.

It''s bad enough having to watch what we do now, let alone watch Pulis'' archaic hoofball shyte. He''s essentially Mick McCarthy 2.0 (or vice versa if you like).

i would rather watch pulis team with success than Farkes without it

Pulis everyones know will get results not pretty not free flowing football but he might just might get us the the PL then we can worry about style of play

success of getting in the PL is No1 target how we get there is another thing but one thing is sure Pulis has a system that works in british football up to a higher level than we are now