Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Alex Neil's Words...

The 36-year-old admits he will forever be indebted to his former employer, who took a punt on the unheralded ex-Hamilton chief.

“I’ve got great feelings towards the club, I’ve got no ill feeling towards the club at all,” he said.

“They gave me the opportunity to come down and manage in England, I managed to get in to the Premier League and manage there for somebody so young.

“I think it showed a lot of courage from them and David McNally, who was the chief executive, in particular, to give me the job and I will be forever grateful for that.

“The fact is, football moves on. You don’t stay anywhere forever, and the nature of football, particularly at Championship level with what is at stake, is if you don’t win enough games then your position becomes under threat and that’s ultimately what happened.

“I think I handled myself gracefully, I don’t think there was any bitterness from me.

“Naturally you are always a bit disappointed and frustrated because you think that you can get it going and turn it around but the decision was made and I respect that.

“As far as I’m concerned, that’s all in the past now, I’ve got great memories of being there and the success that we did have.

“I’m just looking forward to going back, seeing a few people but hopefully trying to win the game.”

Some good words about our club. Yeah it ended sour, as most managerial appointments do, but at the same time he left us with some great memories.

Glad to see another team took a punt on him and its working out for him - its incredible to think he is still only 36...

2 days with Alex Neil really spring to mind, his first (well wasn''t supposed to be) game in charge at Bournemouth away, Howson sent off and we were losing and he came down from the stand and took over, and the win at Old Trafford against Man Ure, made my xmas, Wembley shouldnt need mentioning! so he wont get any boo''s from me, as much as agree he had to go as he had lost the dressing room and his way.

Oh and the terms of his pay off probably means he is not allowed to criticise the club. Standard fare when you are sacked / asked to leave without any formal disciplinary procedures before hand

Good luck to the bloke, always liked Alex Neil. He was let down by some absolute wasters last season. Still think he''ll go on to be an excellent manager. Can''t deny the job he''s doing at Preston, tomorrow I can see being a very tough game.

The win against Bristol was their first win in 8 games so they aren''t exactly coming to us in form.

They started the season excellently but have fallen off in recent weeks- interesting to see if he has learnt how to get a team out of a slump.

Classy from Alex. What I would expect from the man - always fronted up.

I hope Webber reads it and learns something, after his pathetic comments about Alex. Especially as they are above us in the league.

Loved the chap, worked wonders here in his first year and we had some good times together. I just wish he had stuck to his guns and ethos and not thrown that aggression away once we got hammered by Newcastle. Sadly it was downhill from there.

Glad to see a club like Preston give him another chance, I''ve no doubt he can do well there too, just not against us please!

A Decent man even when things were against him here.no fan would wish him ill, only the second Norwich manager to have won at Wembley.Glad he''s got a chance at Preston and hope they do well under him.. not this weekend however!

Good man and good manager as long as you can keep him away from the clubs transfer dealings. If he could compromise a bit and work under a good DoF he could have a big future in the game.

He likes to work as an old school style manager when his strengths really suit being a head coach. I''d be really intrigued to see how he got on in a set up like ours. When he''s not the one building the team/scouting players/telling players to move on I think he could be pretty brilliant tbh

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]He worked a miracle when he arrived [/quote]

Any half decent manager should have got that squad promoted.

Having wasted over £30m+ of NCFC''s money I cant say I was that impressed by him.

Blimey there''s ben some bo11ox spouted on this thread !!

Cant buy into the ''angry Scot'' love in

Just remember we are in the shite we are today because of his falures !

Should never have got relegated, after the home win against Newcastle it was all set up for staying up BUT AN bottled it

Then not getting the squad we had last season galvanized and promoted was nothing short of incompetence !

I hate the guy with passion !

Baywing, the injuries to Klose and Tettey were IMHO the main reason we were relegated that season. before that we were steadily picking up points. _ I know all teams have injuries but at the time those were crucial players for us.