Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Maddison and Pritchard

When Maddison was replaced last night for Pritchard, I tried to compare the contribution of both in the position they played. Both did well imo, but it was interesting to see Pritchard get in much more forward positions than Maddison did - not afraid to get into the penalty area and to the by-line on more than one occasion.  This is something we have lacked from midfield - Hoolahan doesn''t often get stuck in in the penalty area, doing most of his work in around it, neither does Maddison or Vrancic. That left most of the forward work up to Murphy and on the right mre often than not,  Pinto.  It appears to me that Pritchard will offer us much more in attack once fully fit and that may help players like Murphy - there will be more movement and spaces created by dangerous runners.  We have lacked that - and before anyone mentions Wildschut, once on a run, he lacks any apparent ability to bring others into the game.  Hoolahan made a fantastic run last night - and was ignored by Oliveira......It''s a work in progress alright - but there are reasons to be positive.  The big plus will be if Maddison and Pritchard can be fitted into the same team and develop a good rapport on the pitch.  That may be the spark that get''s things going for us.....that and a striker that lives up to the name of being called a striker......

I think they could both fit in the team in a 3-4-2-1 formation. Similar to how spurs play.

Come January I’d get Raggett and Godfrey back in the team as well.

Gunn,

Zimmerman, Raggett, Hanley

Steiperman, Godfrey, trybull, Pinto

Pritchard, Maddison

Nelson

Both wonderful players but for me Pritchard offers more of a goal threat. The loss of Pritchard in the first half of the season has been a terrible blow but allowed maddison an opportunity to blossom. I fear this time next year neither will be here

Yeah I think it''s pretty obvious Pritchard is more dangerous in the final third.

The little I’ve seen LDC, Maddison can drop into a deeper position and still be very effective.

I’d be leaning towards playing them both with Pritchard in the 10 slot and Maddison deeper, feeding the forward line.

What do we have to lose at the moment?

One of the most encouraging things about last night was the report that Wes & Nelson hugged as they went off at half time. If so, this demonstrates that

a) team spirit is still strong

b) Nelson is capable of realising when he has made a poor decision. I was beginning to wonder if he was so arrogant he thought he could never be wrong.

[quote user="lake district canary"]When Maddison was replaced last night for Pritchard, I tried to compare the contribution of both in the position they played. Both did well imo, but it was interesting to see Pritchard get in much more forward positions than Maddison did - not afraid to get into the penalty area and to the by-line on more than one occasion.  This is something we have lacked from midfield - Hoolahan doesn''t often get stuck in in the penalty area, doing most of his work in around it, neither does Maddison or Vrancic. That left most of the forward work up to Murphy and on the right mre often than not,  Pinto.  It appears to me that Pritchard will offer us much more in attack once fully fit and that may help players like Murphy - there will be more movement and spaces created by dangerous runners.  We have lacked that - and before anyone mentions Wildschut, once on a run, he lacks any apparent ability to bring others into the game.  Hoolahan made a fantastic run last night - and was ignored by Oliveira......It''s a work in progress alright - but there are reasons to be positive.  The big plus will be if Maddison and Pritchard can be fitted into the same team and develop a good rapport on the pitch.  That may be the spark that get''s things going for us.....that and a striker that lives up to the name of being called a striker......

[/quote]

The only reason to be positive about them is the fact they will hopefully generate decent transfer fees as they won’t be here much longer the way things are going!

I think playing both is worth a shot. Wes has been a mixed bag this season but I don''t think Farke''s style of play is helping him.

For me, with a fit squad our best 11 looks to be;

Gunn

Pinto Zimm Klose Steipermann

Tettey Trybull

Pritchard Maddison Murphy

Nelson

We''ve then got some good options off the bench in Jerome, Wes, Yanic, Reed and Naismith

I think they can both play in the same 11, Madders has a derby good head for his age and pretty sure he’d cope ok sitting a tad deaper.

I would agree with that best 11AJ although that bench looks pretty short on quality. Jerome good pro but past his best and could probably do with a move. Not been a big fan of wilchut and Naismith I am sure we would give him away for free if anyone would take his contract maybe moyes at west ham in January ?