Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

was the answer in plain site all along?

Alan Irvine...

His record as Norwich manager

P10 w5 d2 lost 3 f23 a 12.

17 points out of a possible 30 only 3 times did we fail to score more than once in a game. And only twice did we fail to score completely.

Why was he not given more consideration for the role?

Don''t know but on his departure he didn''t seem too happy with those above so that might explain a bit. 

I always thought he would have been a safe pair of hands. I was really impressed with performances under him, genuinely think if we would have got ride of Neil earlier and had him for longer I think we would have been in with more of a shout for play offs

Likely that he didn''t fit the mould of ''young up and coming manager'' that we seem so hell bent on rolling out.In other words... Wasn''t going to be as cheap an option. Still, no point in looking back.

I''d say he wasn''t comfortable with the scenario sketched out to him during discussions with Webber and Stone. He said himself he was going to listen to what was involved subsequent to our failing to get promotion and then make a decision. He listened and decided. Prior to that the club had expressed a hope that he might be prepared to stay, but in what capacity I''ve no idea.

Correct me if I''m wrong, but didn''t the say something along the lines of that if he was manager he wanted to be in charge so had no interest in working under Webber?

I know he did say that he never wanted the job permanently, but I am sure that was all just talk - as when he left he said his time in charge as caretaker whetted his appetite to get back into management, so I think had we offered him the role, he''d have taken it. Well, perhaps - as said above, I don''t think he was keen on the structure we were setting in place.

I thought he said he wouldn''t apply for the job but not that he wouldn''t want the job.

Pretty sure he said he has made his money so it''d be about if the club came to him and if he fancied it.

[quote user="Syteanric"]Alan Irvine...

His record as Norwich manager

P10 w5 d2 lost 3 f23 a 12.

17 points out of a possible 30 only 3 times did we fail to score more than once in a game. And only twice did we fail to score completely.

Why was he not given more consideration for the role?[/quote]
Just realised you''re Jas the Barclay King, nice to see you back [:)] but to answer your question Irvine did say initially he didn''t want the job. He was from memory then offered a role under Farke but said he was looking for a managers job, then last month took the joint assistant job at West Ham

Lets not forget he had a team full of high earners that are no longer with us...Dijks, Howson, Dorrans, Ruddy etc...and most importantly, a fit Pritchard. By that stage we also had absolutely nothing to play and the pressure was off. Difficult to say whether he''d have had much more success than Farke with all the summer cost-cutting imo.

As said by King canary "Didn''t he say from the off he didn''t want the job permanently?"He said the week Alex Neil went that he didnt want the job, and the impression i got was he wanted out, but stayed as the club hadnt acxtually terminated his contract at the point, so if he had left there would have been no compensation.

Irvine''s a reluctant manager who''s experienced pretty mixed results when in the role. He''s better suited to being a coach.

His influence was evident in West Ham''s performance against City. While Moyes is pushing the players hard to increase their fitness, it''s Irvine who''s training them and going through the drills. They looked so much more organised yesterday than at most points this season and were unfortunate not to get a point.