Sign in to follow this  
JF

OT Mark Clattenburg interview

I can’t find a link for an audio of the interview but have heard it on sky sports news, listen to it if you can. Quite astonishing admission that he went into a game of that magnitude with a ‘gameplan’ and didn’t referee the match as he should have by the laws of the game. Makes you wonder how much of this goes on? Some of the decisions against us at PL level were questionable to say the least.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/42219327

I don''t doubt the ability of the top ref''s in this country for a second. I couldn''t do what they do, but as is usually the case, most at the top of their profession are arrogant, self important d1(kholes and that impacts on their performance.

We can all accept a poor ref that gets decisions wrong for both teams, we''ve occasionally seen them at CR and it evokes more humorous criticism than vociferous abuse, it IS a really hard job. But among the refs who feel like they''ve attained celebrity status you will get biased and at times farcically one sided performances and that''s what winds people up so much.

The FA now needs to work on curbing some of Ref''s personality instead of encouraging it. If we could somehow have robotic referee''s it would be much better, we don''t need them imposing their ''style'' on a game, fans have absolutely 0 interest in seeing it yet oddly if you look at the ref profiles they almost seem to champion those who impose their own style on a game.

How they go about changing this behaviour I don''t know, but for the sake of all our sanity something has to be done. It may just be part of the game now, but it really shouldn''t and doesn''t have to be.

The arrogance or self importance that you speak off only really comes through in the audio of the interview. Find it astonishing that he admits he should have sent Tottenham players off at 2-0 up but didn’t want the blame to be layed on him. The way the game was, because of his refusal to play by the laws and send players off, their was real danger of players being seriously injured

Always came across as an egotistical poser on the tv, this interview has just confirmed that. Good riddance to a poor referee.