Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Nigel's post-match comments...

Just heard Nigel Worthington''s post-match comments.

The gaffer is pretty angry, never heard him like that before. He said some of the players tonight wouldn''t even make the reserve team , let alone the first team.

Was pleased with the second half but was upset that we put ourselves in that position in the first place...having to try and come back from 2-0 down.

He described the first half as ''diabolical''. Some players are in for the chop me thinks!

I wonder if he is angry at his own decisions?

Well if he is unhappy with the 1st half then its clear who he blames - shacks and Brennan.

Part of his job is to motivate the players.   By dropping zipper after his MOTM performance on sat what message did that send to shacks?  He must have known his time was up - despite it being flem that was skinned (the suns words this morning) and losing the ball and mann (chris goerhams words last night) for the first goal.   How many times has flem done that this season, let alone last?

And why another game where city only perform for 1 half?  Its a game of 90 mins but when was the last game city gave a 90 min performance?   Again that comes down to the manager.

Worthys failure to see those faults demonstrate that he is not the man toget this squad to perform to its best. 

OTBC

I agree with worthy the first half was diobolical, a few players seem to be in a comfort zone and aren''t prepared to fight for the team anymore, I would drop Green who was definately at fault for the second goal.  I can understand that he is annoyed at the shoddy defending infront of him but if he wants to play for England he has got to regain the performance levels of 2 years ago.  Davenport looked composed throughout the second half , I would like to see him play alongside Shackle, who did make a mistake when watford hit the post but we was winning EVERYTHING before this and he has trying to marshall the back four without any assistance from Fleming.  Well done to docherty who crunched a couple of players when he came on for the last 10 minutes, at least they knew he was there and wouldn''t go near him unlike the other Norwich  defenders - maybe we are being too nice for this league at the moment?  I think over the past two games Mcveigh has proven that he still has a lot to offer and linked the play up really well in the second half.  Marney was the one player (apart from Shackle in the first half) who played with desire and strong will to win, maybe if some of the other players had this attitude we wouldn''t be where we are now

I heard his post match comments and it would appear his team is letting him down badly. That first half performance was so poor you''d have been forgiven you were watching a sunday league outfit. That isn''t Worthy''s fault. The players should play as he tells them too. I think some of our players are living off reputations and aren''t producing. This league is all about effort and commitment. We need to remember that and fast. S*d the quality and fancy football. Let''s have some bone crunching challenges and clashed heads and broken noses. Let''s get back in where it hurts. If our players aren''t up for the challenge, they should be shipped off to the Darlington''s of this world where all they''re good for.  

[quote]I heard his post match comments and it would appear his team is letting him down badly. That first half performance was so poor you''d have been forgiven you were watching a sunday league outfit. That ...[/quote]

You are right - the players do have to take the blame too but most of the blame must now fall at the door of the manager.   He is the one who selects the structure, organistation, players and tactics yet changes the wrong players when it is not working and cant change what is painfully obviously wrong.

Flem and Hughes try hard but are not delivering the goods...  but neither will be dropped because of their work ethic and that is the managers choice.  

OTBC

[quote]You are right - the players do have to take the blame too but most of the blame must now fall at the door of the manager. He is the one who selects the structure, organistation, players and tactics ...[/quote]

Ok, I''d like to say this is the last time I''ll say this, but I''m sure ot won''t be...

People should not be using Hughes as a scape goat, take him out of the side and we wouldn''t have got a point against Palace and we wouldn''t have got three against plymouth - simple as that. So you do the math, City - Hughes = 2 points only on the board. He''s obviously not delivering the goods.

[quote]You are right - the players do have to take the blame too but most of the blame must now fall at the door of the manager. He is the one who selects the structure, organistation, players and tactics ...[/quote]

i agree with you on Fleming Zipper but imo you couldn''t be more wrong about Hughes. They guy is the aggressive, attacking, forceful player we need in midfield. Take hime out and theres nothing linking attack to defence. I know you advocate Marney but he''s too lightweight for a central role.

My problem with last nights comments is the bit about how its the first time this has happened and it will be the last.

I''m sorry Worthy, but thats total c**p. We went through a whole season of half performances last season and to say its never happened before is ridiculous.

I will not advocate replacing the manager at this point but a manager who cannot motivate the team to perform for 90 minutes should not be a manager.

This is my first post for quite a while now, due to an extended perod of holiday/work in Australia this summer (great place to be while we were winning the Cricket that''s for sure).

I thought I''d wait until I''d seen a couple of games on my return before commenting as until last saturday we''d had to miss all so far (and not a lot missed it seemed as the pinkun website continued to depress me down under).

The Plymouth game I felt was scrappy, but in the end an easy enough win - but if we get many poorer sides than that at Carrow road this season I''ll be surprised. Some of the passing looked ok, but there remained an edginess and uncertainty to our play.

Last night was a real tester for me as to how deep-rooted the problems were/weren''t - away to a confident and in-form side: and at half time I haven''t been so angry and fed up for at least 3 or 4 seasons. The defending was abysmal, the communication consisted of only swearing and shouting at each other (Shacks as guilty of that as Flemmo this time), the midfield were pitiful in their lack of hunger and harrying, and a pacey lively Watford side got no more than they deserved - it should have been more and we would have been gone.

Second half was much better, Davenport looked assured, WLY did what he can do well at this level in linking up play, the midfield put their dentures in and found some teeth again and we could have pinched a point.

The lessons - well the players have got to get their energy and commitment levels right from the off. The defence has got to stop the blame culture that is becoming too evident on the pitch: I really hope Davenport can provide some leadership that gets some structure/discipline in place during his 3 months here. If we are going to play Marney wide right he needs to give his full-back/central midfielder the wide pass option rather than choosing the inside option most of the time. The 4-3-1-2 formation we ended up with looked very effective indeed (providing the 3 have high energy levels) and maybe a good formation for eithe WLY or Hucks in the hole going forward.

Bottom line - let''s remember how we got promoted last time: our strength was (and still is) in the attacking options rather than defensive ones. Lets play to that strength and put other defences under consistent pressure - it means less pressure on us at the back too.

Thank God in being away I was unable to apply for tickets for the Portaloo trip - I fear the worst, but then again have always lived in hope