Sign in to follow this  
Herman

Cedric Anselin.

A sad, bittersweet article about Cedric. The life of a footballer is not the glitz and glamour we sometimes think it is.[url]https://www.theguardian.com/football/behind-the-lines/2017/dec/04/cedric-anselin-football-depression-zinedine-zidane-clarke-carlisle[/url]

Thanks for sharing that. A very sad story that highlights how far reaching mental health problems are.

The unwillingness of sufferers, particularly men, to seek help is such a problem and can have shocking consequences.

Wow, that admission takes some bottle. He is my favourite ex-Norwich player on the Radio Norfolk commentary, can''t believe he was having those thoughts while I was listening to him. Much respect Cedric, and hope those dark days are well behind you.

Just find it odd to be honest how anyone in that position can get so down. I''ve suffered pretty severely for about 8 years, ended up on a drip having my stomach pumped on my 21''st birthday after guzzling around 50 pills and I have quite literally nothing going for me and a very bleak future on the horizon.

i know how it can affect you even on supposedly good days and when you''re surrounded by good people but I don''t get how they start to feel that way in the first place when they''re just so unbelievably blessed and fortunate. Those moments when you literally, feel like you''re in hell, your vision plays tricks on you and the feeling is so nauseating and scary that there only seems to be one option out is fu(k1ng awful, when it actually terrifies you how sick, torn apart and miserable you feel, you wonder how you can go from being a normal adolescent to being in pain literally every second but I honestly believe I''d be able to pull myself out of it if i had just one single positive to cling onto. Nevermind being a footballer, a young person who''s not trapped in poverty, having someone else to call, having just something to cling onto.

It''s odd, you''d think having the same illness I''d be sympathetic but I just end up wondering how the fu(k he got to that point in the first place. Also being a high profile figure he''s had a multitude of options open to him, in my position there''s nothing. Just people telling you to man up or kill yourself, girls calling you a weird loser for not being the typical happy, confident guy, employers taking advantage of your state to trap you into insidious and draining working patterns because you''ll be called a workshy waste of skin if you don''t comply. Or you''ll be sacked and one of the other 2000 applicants for a part time minimum wage job will get my place and you''ll be forced to live on £45 a week at the government''s pleasure.

I get annoyed everytime I see one of these articles. There''s having severe depression and having support and an escape route and there''s having severe depression and having nothing, no one and only voices both in your head and in real life telling you what a pile of sh1t you are and how you should just kill yourself (like a vast swathe of young men already have and will continue to that never gets reported on because it doesn''t chime in with current popular agendas) and having no hope of recovery.

This may be unpopular but I have very little sympathy for him or others in such privileged positions suffering from this because of the millions across the globe suffering similarly or worse and have nothing coming but a sad ending in the future. I mean he has a wife! A lot of guys I know have never even had a partner of any kind. Most of them including myself get spat on and laughed at by women and nothing else. It''s funny to most people, because they never have that issue, but that kind of isolation and rejection will play havok with ones head I assure you

I''m sure i''ll get lambasted and called an attention seeking loser but my rants never will never get in the paper so whatever.

Cedric Anselin and the rest should count their fu(king blessings tbh. I''m not talking about anyone who from the outside in would appear to have a decent life. But professional sportsmen and women have it beyond good, they''re unbelievably lucky and privileged and I''ll never be able to get my head around one sinking to the same state I''m in.

Perspective becomes fractured and desperation and depression can also come from the what-might-have-beens Horse. It’s not to do with money, relative success or the perception of others. It’s chemical and neurological imbalance, there’s no league table of suffering, it can strike anyone.

If you can take a visit and call in to see Doeke at his farm, he’ll be glad to see you and glad of your help if you can spare some time www.clinkscarefarm.org.uk

Good luck, let me know how you get on.

Parma

Parma has pretty much said all that needs to be said. It’s an illness that can and will affect most people to varying degrees, irrespective of their lifestyle.

Parma is correct HR. Depression, Anxiety, and other mental health issues do not distinguish between the poor and the rich, whether that be materialistically or emotionally.

HR I’m surprised you feel the way you do. The huge stigma attached to depression etc, needs tackling. High profile cases will surely help? Elevated media attention gets people talking.

The biggest problem and the reason there will always be stigma is that someone to never have suffered with depression, will never understand what it is. Some think they do, but they don’t.

Anyway, things can change. It feels a life sentence, but it doesn’t have to be. The mind is a powerful thing... whilst a cure may not always be possible, coping mechanisms help many suffers live a happy and fulfilling life. Good luck.

Depression is an illness that just like any other illness can afflict anyone. Unfortunately the understanding of this illness by the general public is still very poor. Most people only truly understand it if they have been through it themselves or seen someone they care about go through it.

You dont need a justifiable reason to be depressed. The public better understand reactive psycho-social depression - it makes sense. People can say, he/she is depressed because x,y or z. Biological depression however comes with no validating reason, which is why it is more poorly recognised by both sufferers and those around them. ''What right have I/have they got to be depressed?'' might be the thought. And this comes from the faulty construct that all depression has to be a product of something.

Depression and anxiety can be as much a physical illness in terms of aetiology as it can be a psycho-social condition. It spares noone, not even those we might consider privileged.

Unfortunately the term depression is thrown about all too often and inappropriately, as to dilute and distract from the true illness. Many people imagine that people suffering from true depression are ''just a bit down''. Awareness and education needs to be improved because the statistics are that 1 in 4 people will have a depressive episode at some point in their life, and suicide remains the biggest killer of men under 50.

Depression CAN literally be caused by deficiencies of chemicals in your brain. Why would one person then be less "entitled" to have these feelings?

I feel for anyone who has been through depression.

I get that from the outside looking in you can easily think of what someone has going for them, but nobody thinks like that do they? We don''t wake up every morning and think "I have food in my belly and a roof over my head, how could I ever feel down?" but for some people this would be every dream come true.

Horse Renoir - it still takes a lot of guts to vocalise that stuff, whether it''s on a message board, in a newspaper or just to a close friend or family member. No matter how bleak your outlook or situation, you''re always better off sharing than bottling it up. I''ve battled depression and anxiety for years, and there have been times when I simply couldn''t envisage a way through it. But while you''re still breathing, you''re winning the battle. Good luck buddy [Y]