Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

So uhh...about that 'improving the atmosphere' stuff..

They do this periodically, presumably to show some sort of due diligence.

The hard and fast of it is that we that stand are in breach of the regulations. A number of years ago a lovely copper used to carry a copy of the regulations around with him. He’d then ask you to read a highlighted section regarding persistent standing, he’d take back the book and go away. He’d then return a few minutes later and if the “reader” was still standing then he would eject them.

Of course, we got wise to that and would claim we couldn’t read, he’d offer to read it out to you to which the standard respond was “pardon?” but it did continue for quite a while.

I’m assuming this will be a case of more forceful stewarding, probably involving the “security” contractors that have been stomping about more noticeably at the last few games.

It’ll be a pain and will be met with anger (more so if we’re still playing gash) but it will pass...like our midfield at times, not quickly enough...

Improve the atmosphere by installing a hooge amp an'' speakers in the hotel corner beltin'' out motivational vibes and on occasion Delia''s shlurring shtirring shpeesh........"Where are you!?".....

Big Bob''s idea originally (not the shpeesh) but the big shpeakersh......

A great way of turning the supporter away from the ground and thus reducing the amount of money that person spends in the and around the ground. If you have a loss of 2,000 people in the affected area (I''m assuming now that there are no ready replacements given our current form and the empty seats that are prevalent in the ground), each spending £100 per visit (tickets, parking / transport, ale and grub), that''s the best part of £5 million a year lost to the local economy. If that doesn''t get the authorities to think again then by all means the games up!

My understanding from other social media posts on this topic is that this flows from persistent complaints from one guy.

Bit of a shame if so.

Just reading this and some of the comments on Facebook. Honestly, what are the club meant to do? Like it or not, the law says it''s an all seater stadium and the club have to been seen to enforce that. If someone has complained and put the focus on that area there''s not much they can do other than enforce it.

I tend to go with my kids and father who don''t like to stand so sit in the South Stand (ironically my Dad wouldn''t entertain sitting when I was kid) partly because I know people don''t tend to stand there. Hopefully safe standing can become a things and we can have the best of both worlds again!

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Probably Beast we don’t mention his name.[/quote]He retired a couple of years ago and is spending some of his time at a gentlemen''s club in the city that he joined. In fact i will be seeing him there next week.

The person who started all this off was asked if he wanted to move seats and refused.....apparently. FFS if you want to sit all game go in another part of the ground. Sheff Wed fans will stand all game. Went to meeting with Doomcaster about this issue bitd and he clearly stated that we should sit for a continuous 5 mins each half to satisfy the Regs, and allow for photographs to be taken as proof, then stand for the rest of the time providing there were no complaints to stewards.

As much as the complainant might seem to be a stick in the mud or a whinging old duffer; it is important to remember that, technically, he isn’t the one in the wrong here.

Whether they should bring back standing areas is a different debate and one well worth having but, at the moment, unless they change the law then those of us that stand in a seated area are always going to be “wrong”. As such, we''re going To have to play the game for a while or get slung out.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Probably Beast we don’t mention his name.[/quote]He retired a couple of years ago and is spending some of his time at a gentlemen''s club in the city that he joined. In fact i will be seeing him there next week.[/quote]

Is it an ex-plod social club?

[quote user="Jim Smith"]My understanding from other social media posts on this topic is that this flows from persistent complaints from one guy.

Bit of a shame if so.[/quote]I bet he never sneaks through that gap in Europa Way.Not Mello by any chance ? [;)]

Health & Safety, you couldn''t make it up.For years, millions of fans went to thousands of games and standing up was the norm.Like so many other things these days that fall into the H&S category, how the hell did we all manage to survive.Sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Making Plans wrote the following post at 06/12/2017 7:13 PM:

Health & Safety, you couldn''t make it up.

For years, millions of fans went to thousands of games and standing up was the norm.

Like so many other things these days that fall into the H&S category, how the hell did we all manage to survive.

Sledgehammer to crack a nut.

That''s the point MP, they didn''t all survive, ask the families of the 95 at Hillsborough, and that''s why all seating stadia was enforced.

Safe seating is a different debate.

[quote user="Greavsy"]That''s the point MP, they didn''t all survive, ask the families of the 95 at Hillsborough, and that''s why all seating stadia was enforced.

Safe seating is a different debate.[/quote]So when a plane crashes they stop you flying, when there''s a pile up on the motorway they stop you driving, when somebody drowns they stop you swimmimg?Yes it was a terrible disaster but it was a completely over the top knee jerk PC reaction that was totally unecessary.

Club has a licence and they have to comply with the conditions.

Would be interested to see what the conditions actually say and are they the same for each stand.

There is clearly some room for flexibility as requirements to sit are not vigorously enforced in the away area.

The law is the law, and as VW states the club has to comply, and be seen to be at least attempting to do do.

Not agreeing with the law/ safe standing etc is a totally different argument

This is the exact wording:

Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress. Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the Ground.