Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Sheff Wed

Even the Brass Monkeys were shivering here in Norwich today and with Ricardo suffering from a bit of Sciatica, it wasn''t the most pleasant of strolls up to the ground. I even toyed with the idea of staying in the warm and watching on TV but as my son rightly remarked, "where''s the fun in that."It was good to see Pritchard making a start, his absence has been a major factor in our declining fortunes and he was soon pinging the ball about nicely as City made all the early running. There was little goalmouth action until the seventh minute when the little man was fouled on the edge of the box and Vrancic''s free kick dipped just too late to trouble Westwood. When Wednesday eventually came forward the City defence was well marshaled by Tim Klose and Rhodes and Hooper were kept well in check. On a couple of occasions Murphy looked to have a chance of a run but was

caught on his heels with Pritchards quick ball and didn''t really look

like he was at the races.On seventeen minutes a period of keep ball on the edge of the Owls box almost brought an opener but as Madders wriggled through his rising shot cleared the bar by a yard. At this point my son said that although we were looking o.k. this was where things usually start to fall apart. Well, call him Nostrodamus, because Murphy dallied too long, lost the ball and although defenders scurried back to cover, they couldn''t clear the danger and when an angled cross came in there was Jordan Rhodes diving in to divert the ball past Gunn. Its a bit like watching Ground Hog day, we do the same thing and get the same result.After this it understandably got rather quiet. There were lots of empty seats and although the gate was later called at 25.6k I very much doubt if more than 23k were in the ground at most. The game drifted for a while but City were offered a glorious opportunity to draw level as we approached the half hour. After picking up a loose clearance, Maddison and Pritchard combined well to leave Olly with a simple chance from about ten yards. Somehow the big man got his angles wrong and although he slipped the ball under Westwood it rolled wide of the far post.City continued to attack but the movement was slow and chances few but Oliviera did pull a fine save out of Westwood when almost heading in Pinto''s cross at the near post. At the other end City had to struggle to prevent the Owls going further ahead when almost on half time Gunn blocked Hoopers close range effort with his body. There were a few boo''s at the whistle but I think most people were too depressed or too cold to bother.Thankfully Murphy, who had had a stinker was replaced by Watkins when they ran out and immediately there seemed to be more urgency. Westwood made another fine stop in the first minute when Oliviera''s header from Pritchard''s cut back was expertly turned over. Then in another break, Vrancic, who was having a much better game, rippled the net with a twenty yarder only it was the wrong side of the post. It was certainly looking a lot better and the Wednesday defence was getting pulled about at last. In the fifty fifth minute Pritchard sprang forward on a surging run and dummied a couple of defenders before rifling in a low shot that Westwood could only parry out wide. Maddison had only a narrow angle to aim for but sized it up perfectly to slot home the equalizer.The crowd finally came to life and it seemed to spur the players and when Pinto won a corner in the sixty eighth  minute, Maddisons cross was spot on for the impressive Tim Klose to power an unstoppable header into the roof of the net from twelve yards. Unbelievably we had scored twice in one half and although the visitors started to push forward more I never really felt that we were in danger of letting it go. Pritchard went off with ten to go and was replace by Trybull and in the final minutes Zimmerman replace Maddison as City shut up shop.In injury time City struggled to clear a free kick given for God knows what by ref Linnington; who by my reckoning had been very lenient on a string of professional fouls by the visitors, yet had booked Vrancic for disputing a patently incorrect decision over a throw in. Thankfully the ball was cleared and as Oliviera raced forward he was joined by Reed who was felled in the box as he latched onto the big mans pass. Mr Linnington redeemed himself by pointing to the spot and Oliviera did the honours by smacking in the third goal to Westwoods right to round of a long overdue win and send us home with some pre Xmas cheer.Pritchard made the difference but my MOM goes to Tim Klose who was a rock throughout and scored a goal that hopefully will prove to be the turning point. Also high marks for Reed who was a dynamo tonight and Marco Vrancic who has been much maligned recently. Lets hope we can move forward from here and put this dreadful run behind us.

Summed up my view from the telly box Ricardo, at the end of the first half we were just so slow going forwards it was almost as if we wanted to advertise every single pass...

I’m hoping today is finally the end of the obsession with possession and building slowly from the back. In the first half it was frankly embarrassing to see us take 5-8 passes from a goal kick to get anywhere close to the halfway line yet watch Wednesday come forward continually with quick balls

2nd half was the exact opposite. When we picked balls up on the edge of our box we were picking our heads up, looking forward and playing the passes. We looked so much more dangerous playing that way, I hope Farke allows us to play like that in the upcoming home games from the start

As for what the change was at half time, surely it wasn’t all down to Murphy coming off? It’s never nice to hear somebody get cheered off, but there was a noticeable cheer when Murphys name was read out. It really was like playing with 10men at times in that half, it’s been clear for a few weeks that he has needed taken out of the firing line, I guess it will be a few weeks until we see him start again - I can’t really recall anything special from Watkins but he certainly made us better going forward

Cheers for that Mr R, if other parts are not as reliable as they were then at least the old memory seems to be as good as ever  We didn''t look that bad in the first half - not as some would have it. the second just seemed as much a follow up as anything. Gone was the tippity tap I have long argued against. Most of out good chances were when Weds had few players back. When it was fast moving attackers against back pedaling defenders.Keeping possession whilst allowing defenders to funnel back and mark up is always going to deliver less in the way of goals than the former. Looking at the goal again and watching how Maddison chases from behind the ball to give an option on the right then to be there to follow up with a goal emphasises that.The abiity to pass quickly should not be used to ping the ball round like a pin ball but to get possession back and retain it for a purpose... attack. Not simply for its own merit ie we have the ball so you can not score.If there was once noticable difference today it was in the attitude and belief of both the fans and the players. I didn''t really sense any great expectation in the crowd before the game, and when Weds went one up it almost seemed as if it was  that moment after the lottery numbers have been announced ....no great surprise or disappointment. But that wasn''t what was coming from the players. It was as if they already knew the number..... 2-1 to City with the bonus ball of a penalty in the last minutes.If that was Farke''s doing then more of it please. Concentrate on getting the players confident. Get the coaching staff to work on player''s strengths not try to enforce mechanical football unto themToday a fair number of players showed what they can be. Klose was a collosus. That ball hit the back of the net with all the joy of Bruce''s semi final header against the binners. Oliveira stutted freely up front . Pritchard and Maddison we know. Vrancic gave up the role of scapegoat and Pinto was like a man possessed.We''ve an abundance of good players to come back so as far as I am concerned it''s full steam ahead.

The one player I think is turning into a real problem is Stieppermann; it''s a shame because he has terrific enthusiasm, but unfortunately it far transcends his ability & he keeps on running into trouble & losing the ball.

He really isn''t a left back, & that''s becoming more apparent with every game.

[quote user="ron obvious"]The one player I think is turning into a real problem is Stieppermann; it''s a shame because he has terrific enthusiasm, but unfortunately it far transcends his ability & he keeps on running into trouble & losing the ball.

He really isn''t a left back, & that''s becoming more apparent with every game.[/quote]That position does seem to be one of ''whoever is available can fill in'' attitude.Agree re Steep. Husband can also be a bit hit and miss. Toffolo should be stepping up by now but has probably found his level elsewhereMaybe it''s time for Lewis to return

For most of his career, Stiepermann played in central midfield, or on the right of midfield as an inverted wide player (cf. his goal v Cardiff). Bochum used him last season in more withdrawn roles, including left back, but he clearly isn''t experienced in that role and, for us this season, has simply been "doing a job" for the team, in particular when playing in a back four rather than ahead of a back three.

Thanks Ricardo, it really is good to be able to get a first hand report when you''ve had to miss seeing the match. Positives all round, despite the more difficult first half - we''ve won a match from one goal down, scoring more than one goal to do it, Pritchard is back and even Oliveira was given a goal on a plate to get his confidence going again. 

Good opinions expressed on this thread.

Just to add that in the second half in particular vrancic was producing some lovely long passes which turned possession into attack.

Also Pritchard and Madison together are a joy to watch.

Thanks Ricardo............ second half soooooo much better although still think we lack a bit of width when we go forward.

MOM for me was definitely Maddison, think his finish was very underrated, very high level of skill required to bang that back in first time from that angle.

I thought Maddison was very good 2nd half but I thought the goal was a fairly easy chance, it wasn''t a real tight angle. Think the ''keeper will be disappointed to let that in, it was a nice height.

Thanks Ricardo - spot on as ever. I don''t know if he does it for all penalties but Klose turned his back when Oliveira took the penalty as if he couldn''t bear to watch. Hopefully the win will be a boost for confidence that the players need.

There were a few odd things that I noticed.

Klose grabbing the ball after we equalised, deliberately slowing everything down.

Oliveira grabbing the ball for the penalty, Vrancic not looking too happy about it and being pushed away

Oliveria once again hell bent on making a point after scoring instead of enjoying the moment. So much baggage with him that even scoring has to turn into a gesture of some sorts towards somebody

Good read as ever Ricardo, thanks! I thought the return of Pritchard had a remarkable influence. MOM 4 me too, was Klose...

I thought your first half was going to read...

Sheffield Wed scored...

and that was it! Dire first half but a great turnaround. I must also say I thought Vrancic had an excellent game and it was a shocker that he got booked for complaining about the decision by the Ref - which was clearly the wrong decision.

Due to an arrangement made before the TV people changed the fixture, I was unable to see the game but watched the recorded Ch5 highlights.

Ricardo. Do you think the changes that were made were a wake up by the coach? Or was it a desperate call that paid off?

I am in no way trying to criticise what was a welcome result and by the sounds of it, good second half. Or dampen the euphoria of the hope we have turned the corner.

And if Vrancic did have a decent game in a different position than that is a bonus.

In other words, do you think we can sustain this form and go onto better things from now on? I doubt we will trouble the top teams but we need to be competing from now on.