Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Reasons to be cheerful

Gunn is proving an excellent goalkeeper for any level.We have good options at CB  in Hanley, Klose,Zimmermann, with Ragget and Francke maybe to step up.We have an inspirational, lead by example captain in PintoWe have Lewis and Husband as good left backs and Stiepermann who is a useful player anywhere on the pitch.We have good options in defensive midfield. Any combination of Trybull, Tettey or Reed does it for me.In attacking midfield Maddison, Pritchard if they can stay fit look as if they might rip up this league - and with Vrancic playing behind them we have a dynamo of a midfiled trio - Wes as an alternative too.We have a striker, who if his mentality is right will score plenty of goals.We also have young players who if Farke is to be believed (and why shouldn''t we believe him) that are knocking on the door of the first team. Yes there are one or two who haven''t found their form yet, but then that is always going to be the case - but overall, some good reasons to be optimistic at this stage. Long way to go of course....[:)]

Great, rest of the season looks ok. So what happens after that?

Of the individual players you have listed, at least 6 have huge question marks over if they are here next year, 3 definitely are not.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Great, rest of the season looks ok. So what happens after that?

Of the individual players you have listed, at least 6 have huge question marks over if they are here next year, 3 definitely are not.[/quote]

Rather depends, doesn''t it.  Can''t see us selling in January unless really silly offers come in for any of the players - in which case we should take the money, whoever it is - but it would have to be very silly money to make it happen.  As for next season, well that is next season and no doubt some players will move on and we will get replacements, as always happens.  That could be very positive as we identify players who fit the ethos and wage structure.   

I had plenty of reasons to be cheerful last season but it seems others didn''t. I can find plenty of reasons this season but others can''t. I can usually find reasons to be cheerful others never can. My conclusion to this is the I''m a happy clapper and enjoy what I am. Others are miserable moaners and must enjoy that too☺😥

More realistically the left back area isn''t great. Clearly not a natural position for Stiepermann. Husband has looked average at best. Lewis may be the answer but is totally unproven and untested.

I''d say all those things point towards a midtable finish. Players like Reed, Zimmerman, Vrancic, Husband etc are decent at this level but nothing more.

I''ll be more positive about midtable finishes if we start to bring through more youngsters. The talk around Lewis is very encouraging in that respect.

I can handle mid table finishes, mixed with the odd cup run.

I think we are where we belong at the moment.

I just like to see us play good entertaining football.

Do we really want to see the better teams hammer us each week? Is that what being in the Prem is about?

I am not convinced we have the right coaching staff at the moment but to be fair we have to give them at least this season.

GJP wrote: More realistically the left back area isn''t great. Clearly not a natural position for Stiepermann. Husband has looked average at best. Lewis may be the answer but is totally unproven and untested.

I say: give Jamal a chance as soon as he''s fully match fit

There''s an awful lot of people assuming Lewis is the answer to our left back issues. I think I''m right in saying he hasn''t made the first team squad yet?

A reason to be cheerful is that old adage "Like Father.....Like Son"....hasn''t disappeared and is still alive ''n kickin'' and evident on this forum.....

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]How is it Gunn is proving himself excellent at every level? He hasn''t made an appearance in the premier league yet, or are you confusing another of our keepers with De Gea again?[/quote]I didn''t say "at" every level - I said "for" every level meaning he has the attributes to do well at every level.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]A reason to be cheerful is that old adage "Like Father.....Like Son"....hasn''t disappeared and is still alive ''n kickin'' and evident on this forum.....[/quote]
The real reason to be cheerful is good old fashioned nepotism. Having passed the majority of my shares down to my children and not making them available to anyone else we can enjoy the little bit of the club we own together. Like Father....Like Son...Like Daughter. That makes me cheerful. I wonder if any others pass misery down through their families so they can have reasons not to be cheerful together. Must make for great christmases....

I''ve sold two of my shares to a friend who wanted to own part of our club and wanted to go to agms, so he''s cheerful and so am I as will be putting the cash towards my season ticket for next year

Merry Xmas Lakey, I like that you''re finding reasons to be cheerful, hope to see you at an away game soon

A reason to be cheerful is that old adage "Like Father.....Like Son"....hasn''t disappeared and is still alive ''n kickin'' and evident on this forum.....

The real reason to be cheerful is good old fashioned nepotism. Having passed the majority of my shares down to my children and not making them available to anyone else we can enjoy the little bit of the club we own together. Like Father....Like Son...Like Daughter. That makes me cheerful. I wonder if any others pass misery down through their families so they can have reasons not to be cheerful together. Must make for great christmases....

You can continually wonder all you like......

[quote user="Herman"]The U18s are through to the next round of the cup. Adam Idah hat-trick.[/quote]Will be the winners of Derby v Man Utd tonightat Carrow Road on Sat 20th January 7pmthough as we have Sheff Utd at home that afternoon I would think that the date given is more ... week commencingotherwise I am always cheerfulgreat club, ran properly with a decent bunch of loyal fans (albeit a few bin folk on here pretending to be)

[quote user="Diane"]I''ve sold two of my shares to a friend who wanted to own part of our club and wanted to go to agms, so he''s cheerful and so am I as will be putting the cash towards my season ticket for next year

Merry Xmas Lakey, I like that you''re finding reasons to be cheerful, hope to see you at an away game soon[/quote]Same to you Diane [:)], not going to be able to get to many away games until the last three of the season which are all up my way, Sunderland, Preston and Sheffield Wednesday....still it means I will get to see plenty of the promotion run in! [;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mello Yello"]A reason to be cheerful is that old adage "Like Father.....Like Son"....hasn''t disappeared and is still alive ''n kickin'' and evident on this forum.....[/quote]
[/quote]I believe that Victor Hugo passed the rights of his book Les Miserables down to him family, but there doesn''t appear to be any record of the affect that had on any of themA little known fact is that he wrote a sequal, Less Miserable, which seems to have been all but forgotten now.