Sign in to follow this  
Woodman

New contract for Zimmermann

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2017/december/christoph-zimmermann-contract/

Signed up until 2021. No doubt he''s done well to step up to Championship level, but has made a few mistakes too. For me, he''s behind Klose and Hanley, but certainly a capable centre half.

Suddenly we have a flush of centre halves - Klose, Hanley, Zimmermann, Franke, Raggett and at a push, Martin and Godfrey. Wonder how many of them will be here at the start of next season?

I would imagine Klose will be sold in the new year/July and we see Hanley and Zimmermann as our regular center half pairing with Raggett on the bench/cup games.

I''m assuming that when we signed Hanley, we fitted him into the new wage structure, so we didn''t need to sell him if we didn''t go up.

I think as of next season, It''ll be Hanley, Zimmerman and Raggett. Klose and Franke will be gone (maybe even in January) and probably Russell Martin providing backup as the fourth.

Was probably signed on a lesser contract as originally back-up and now being rewarded for his good performances. Not unhappy with this, I think he''s been our best signing from the new contingent.

Average centre half at this level, with a mistake in him. Rewarded for fairly average performances. A little surprised at this to be honest.

if he can cut the mistakes out he can be a good defender, but he''ll probably remain limited in his capability and certainly doesn''t look to posses the ability to make him a premier league defender. Which won''t be a problem here.

Much more excited about Raggett, and IMO he should be given the chance ahead of Zimmerman in January.

2 queries re above comments.

Klose leaving ? who likely to buy ? Certainly not English Clubs has not impressed whilst in UK. Abroad perhaps maybe lower Swiss club but will not pay fee that would be acceptable.

Hanley accepts City current wage structure. Get real may accept less than got from Newcastle but not a lot less. Sign on fee also to take into account.

On Hanley, I get the impression he just wants to play football. Wasn''t going to get a regular place at Newcastle this season (and potentially not good enough to be first choice), so is a good fit for us - regardless of whether he fits the wage structure.

Now that he''s got into the team, I feel he''s probably going to stay there as first choice with the others fitting around him rather than the other way around.

Sign of the times. We will have to have players with less ability to match the wages on offer.

Even we need to lessen the wage bill so much then we might as well sell Klose on the cheap.

He''s had a few errors but overall he''s done well. Suspect he was probably being paid peanuts and they''ve rewarded him accordingly for stepping up to this level.

Also, you can tell he plays like he means it. A sometimes undervalued quality.

[quote user="lincoln"]Average centre half at this level, with a mistake in him. Rewarded for fairly average performances. A little surprised at this to be honest.

if he can cut the mistakes out he can be a good defender, but he''ll probably remain limited in his capability and certainly doesn''t look to posses the ability to make him a premier league defender. [/quote]Well he was signed from German fourth tier on a 2 year deal, so he''ll have gone from peanuts to a half-decent backup player wage. Playing FM style guess the wage, I''d say it was lower than 10k a week.

Icecream,

I would think his signing on wage was much, much less than £10,000, probably with the caveat that if he proved himself he would be renewed on more, but gonna guess still less than £10,000. There may be another clause for further increase based on certain criteria??

also he has proved he is a championship CB so getting a long contract means more money if we sell him

also 10 k ( guess ) does not buy you much a week and he is well worth that wage