Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

OT - Chris Froome

He could have puffed on his inhaler every couple of miles and it would have made no difference to his performance. It is not a performance enhancing stimulant.The authorities are going well over the top on this matter thanks to the past abuses of Armstrong and many before and after him. They are in danger of making a mockery of the whole thing. The next thing will be a ban on asthmatics in any kind of sport.

Regardless of whether the substance is performance enhancing, everyone involved in the game knows the limit and unless Froome and/or his team can satisfactorily explain why his reading was double the permitted level, precedents for a ban have already been set.

As for the Froome/Wiggins debate, unfortunately Froome is just duller than Sir Bradley so he hasn''t got as much recognition from the general public.

I think cycling has become more dull anyway, with better tactics it is no longer the best rider who wins necessarily, but the rider who has the best team. I much preferred watching the likes of Cipollini, Pantani and Virenque-and yes I know, 2 of those weere dopers-racing in the 90s and early 00s. I will never forget standing by the roadside in Les Gets warching Virenque whizz by on his way to the stage win at Morzine in 2003. 🚲🚲🚲

Personally think Froome is a fantastic athlete

100 odd miles a day without a break

Footballers cannot play 2 games a week without whinging

Plus could not stand those Wiggins sideburns

I feel a bit sorry for Froome as this is very damaging but quite odd in many ways.

As Ricardo has pointed out if you were looking to gain an advantage this seems a strange way to go about it and I’m struggling to see really why Froome would put his career on the line, given all that he’s achieved, to win the Vuelta.

I suspect that this isnt some form of organised doping. It seems far more likely that his medical team made a mistake and gave the wrong dose (which would effectively be Froome’s fault as it’s his responsibility ultimately what goes into his body) or that dehydration or other factors led to the adverse result, which means the result is unreliable in determining whether he had taken more than the permitted amount.

So whether or not this will lead to a ban is not clear. Some riders with similar results have served bans and some not so clearly the UCI have in the past looked at the evidence before making their decision and it looks as if they will do the same here.

For what it is worth I never saw anything suspicious in Froome’s rise to the top. For me he was always a very classy rider who could destroy the best in the high mountains and he served a good apprenticeship before taking on the lead role at Sky, so I don’t really see Froome as some sort of miracle man. Quite the opposite really, I think his real talent is his management of his resources (in terms of his team and his own) and his management of the opposition who often seem to ride for second place.

Bearing in mind their ''marginal gains'' philosophy, Sky don''t half make some big howlers. I hope the UCI give them (Sky) every opportunity to explain the high dosage for Froome''s sake, but a ban could well be on the cards. Regardless if Salbutamol is a PED or not, rules are rules and Sky have overstepped the mark. There''s no point in having a limit if anyone can just exceed it. My guess is CF will be stripped of his Vuelta title and a 9 month ban backdated to September.I hope I''m wrong as I actually find CF an honourable chap and far from a cheater. His dominance is down to an overall team effort, strangling the life out of the opposition, with CF delivering the killer punch on key stages.

Think of all those carbon emissions from the manufacture of the so called 3.5 million cycles per year ? No wonder we are suffocating ourselves to death.

If cyclists don''t want to use a car then they should be made to walk or run everywhere.

Salbutamol is an anabolic and it is by no means universally agreed that it does not enhance performance. A study has been done that concluded it''s effects were negligible but athletes were only given 20% of the amounts that were found in Froome''s sample.

He''s got form too, he took a corticosteroid in 2014 in the Tour of Romandie to alleviate a chest infection that was so bad he was tearing up a field of the best cyclists on the planet. Not against the rules but let''s remember that many teams voluntarily refuse to use the TUE system. Yet Sky claim to be trailblazing "winning clean". Do me a favour.

I doubt this''ll be the last controversy to come out about Team Sky and Froome in particular. God knows it''s far from the first.

I think the basic idea is that a TUE allows you to medicate when you are unwell to return you to your fitness baseline. Whereas doping takes you above that baseline, enhancing your performance.

I love cycling and have had to accept that, over the years, many of my heroes have crossed that line. I agree Canarydan that Sky seem to be pushing at the limits of this, which is disappointing but not surprising given the sports past.

Treacletown - lol, well done that made me smile!

[quote user="treacletown07"]Think of all those carbon emissions from the manufacture of the so called 3.5 million cycles per year ? No wonder we are suffocating ourselves to death.

If cyclists don''t want to use a car then they should be made to walk or run everywhere.[/quote]

Calm down, fat lad.

At least we don’t use McDonald’s drive throughs. That would really wind you up.

Owned? Haven''t seen that in a long time-welcome back Rip Van Treacletown 🙄🙄🙄

The whole message board is laughing at you.

When I say jump, you say how high sir?

Hope you are not lonesome this Christmas?

My soup kitchen is always open for you.....

[quote user="treacletown07"]The whole message board is laughing at you.

When I say jump, you say how high sir?

Hope you are not lonesome this Christmas?

My soup kitchen is always open for you.....[/quote]

Haha, you were owned mate. Twice.

Keep going, your really trying hard to look funny. A little bit more desire and you might just be there.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Looks like you cannot come up with anything original.

If you look at the previous few posts, you are regurgitating my posts.

Anyway I am going out with the IT company that I own so you will have to play with yourself tonight which shouldn’t be too difficult for you and you are probably used to it.

Take care. Nighty night buttercup

[quote user="treacletown07"]Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Looks like you cannot come up with anything original.

If you look at the previous few posts, you are regurgitating my posts.

Anyway I am going out with the IT company that I own so you will have to play with yourself tonight which shouldn’t be too difficult for you and you are probably used to it.

Take care. Nighty night buttercup[/quote]

Ah, works in IT. That explains it.

You don’t own your own car, let alone your own company you bum.