Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

OT - Chris Froome

What a mess!

Reputation could well be in tatters before this is done and dusted. Fellow riders starting to stick the knife in now too.

UCI clearly trying to keep this hush hush, but now will be pressured to act. Good chance of a ban and having his Veulta re-voked.

Harsh in reality.

2 weeks ago Jose Mourinho openly spoke to the media about Phil Jones having 4 injections to relive pain whilst on England Duty. No one batters an eye lid to the moral aspect of this, yet if that had happened to a cyclist, immediate bans and reputations destroyed.

Is it fair?

Other riders will stick the knife in, they know he’s better than they are. I don’t think he did anything wrong. He’ll get a huge amount of stick at next years tour though.

If he''s not serving a ban that is.

There''s two sides to this. Firstly, the substance in question, Sabutamol offers no performance enhancing benefits. It''s the stuff in a blue inhaler and perfectly legal. Except the UCI cap the dosage at a certain limit, to which a TUE is then required. Which Froome would have had no problem getting.

The second side is the shear incompetence of the team. How can they have let this happen! Especially with the Jiffy bag saga.

But Froome must have known upping the dosage was risky. I would expect he normally takes close to the maximum daily allowance, so any increase was surely going to be too much?

But having said that, I think the scrutiny on cycling with regard to doping is unfair when compared to sports such as football.

What seems acceptable in one sport, makes you a drug cheat in another.

I''m not a big cycling fan so can someone explain why he isn''t popular. The amount he has done and won should make him a massive British hero but he isn''t, and I get the feeling there''s a bit of schadenfreude at his current predicament.

[quote user="Herman"]I''m not a big cycling fan so can someone explain why he isn''t popular. The amount he has done and won should make him a massive British hero but he isn''t, and I get the feeling there''s a bit of schadenfreude at his current predicament.[/quote]You would have thought that given the substance he was taking he would have ensured that it was declared and double checkedBut I suspect it is more a case of those in charge wanting to look clean than any serious objection to drug usage

Herman- team sky as a whole aren’t particularly liked on the continent as they tend to churn out results rather than than ride with some flair. Think of them a bit like the Arsenal team that won the league by winning 1-0 every week.

Froome is the natural target as team leader, what doesn’t help either is that some English riding fans aren’t that keen on him either as he grew up in Kenya which doesn’t make him typically English, unlike Wiggins who is a bit of a lad if you know what I mean.

Our French friends ( Le Coq and his mates ) will be throwing P1$$ on him next time he’s on the Tour, if there is a next time.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Herman- team sky as a whole aren’t particularly liked on the continent as they tend to churn out results rather than than ride with some flair. Think of them a bit like the Arsenal team that won the league by winning 1-0 every week.

Froome is the natural target as team leader, what doesn’t help either is that some English riding fans aren’t that keen on him either as he grew up in Kenya which doesn’t make him typically English, unlike Wiggins who is a bit of a lad if you know what I mean.[/quote]Thanks[Y]

[quote user="Herman"][quote user="FenwayFrank"]Herman- team sky as a whole aren’t particularly liked on the continent as they tend to churn out results rather than than ride with some flair. Think of them a bit like the Arsenal team that won the league by winning 1-0 every week.

Froome is the natural target as team leader, what doesn’t help either is that some English riding fans aren’t that keen on him either as he grew up in Kenya which doesn’t make him typically English, unlike Wiggins who is a bit of a lad if you know what I mean.[/quote]Thanks[Y][/quote]

Furthermore, Froome and Wiggins don’t really get on. Froome went against team orders and attacked whilst wiggins was struggling during a stage race. Wiggo being the darling of the British public, it wasn’t the most endearing of actions.

As Fenway points out, he’s actually from Kenya (English parent) and lives in Monaco. So the whole being British thing is a bit subjective.

[quote user="Rhubarb"][quote user="Herman"]I''m not a big cycling fan so can someone explain why he isn''t popular. The amount he has done and won should make him a massive British hero but he isn''t, and I get the feeling there''s a bit of schadenfreude at his current predicament.[/quote]You would have thought that given the substance he was taking he would have ensured that it was declared and double checkedBut I suspect it is more a case of those in charge wanting to look clean than any serious objection to drug usage[/quote]

He did declare the drug. He declares it before every doping test which happens daily whilst you wear the leaders jersey. The issue is the amount in detected in his urine sample.

But there are many physiological variants at play, so it’s impossible to accurately say how much he actually took (or puffed).

But if a footballer puffed away on an inhaler at halftime during a match, thats acceptable regardless of intake.

I think if UKAD properly integrated football, a massive can of worms would be opened. There’s no way the FA want this hence the relatively relaxed stance on testing.

This is not doping, although some would like to make it so,mainly out of jealousy.He has done nothing wrong. He won''t lose the Vuelta and he won''t be banned.media storm in a tea cup.

[quote user="ricardo"]This is not doping, although some would like to make it so,mainly out of jealousy.He has done nothing wrong. He won''t lose the Vuelta and he won''t be banned.media storm in a tea cup.[/quote]

Not so sure Ricardo. The UCI have set a precedent for this. Two riders have previously been banned for the same offence.

Given Froomes statue in cycling, I’m sure the UCI were working with team sky on resolving this behind closed doors, hence it’s taken 3 months to come out. It only can out as the media got hold of it, and now the UCI will be backed into a corner unless Froome can prove that his body can excretes the drug in an abnormal way, which will be nearly impossible. I expect Froome to be banned and lose the veulta, i really do.

It is a shame, because as you say, it really is a storm in a tea cup. It isn’t doping, but because of where cycling is with testing and it’s history he’ll be punished.

He is a typical cyclist-a law unto themselves. They jump red lights, ride in the middle of the road and go between the road and pavement when it suits them. They always whinge when they get caught or are challenged as well.

Good article on asthma and cycling (if someone can do the clicky thing).http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/the-truth-about-cycling-and-asthma-317941#r3z-addoorApples

Chris Froome''s biggest issue is that he is not Bradley Wiggins.

Wiggins was a figurehead, especially going into the Olympics, he was immensely popular & Froome has never had the same love from people

Although it makes me laugh when the Froome/Kenya link gets brought up as a reason - lets not forget Wiggins was born in Belgium and has an Australian father...

I bet Bradley Wiggins can''t believe his luck. With all the hassle he''s had with '' Jiffygate '' and with Froome offering no support to now find his team mate in the dock must make even him smile just a little bit.Though it probably didn''t help Wiggins cause that his OH called Froome a " slithering reptile " on her Facebook page [:D] 

Just to add a little context....

On the day in question, when Froome''s asthma was allegedly so bad that he had to up his inhaler dosage, he managed to distance his then closest competitor Vincenzo Nibali (no slouch and who has won the Tour de France, Vuelta a Espana and Giro D''Italia (twice) in his career) on the final climb by 19 seconds.

His salbutamol levels were DOUBLE what is permitted. We''re not talking a touch over the allowed limits here. It was double.

For precedent, Alessandro Pettachi received a 12 month ban and was stripped of 5 Giro stage wins and Diego Ulissi received a 9 month ban and in both of these cases they have lower levels of salbutamol than Chris Froome.

If anyone is interested in just how "good" Chris Froome''s physiology is, stick "Chris Froome Ventoux Data" and you can witness a man who has already been in the saddle for hours, having already ascended thousands of feet, attack one of the best climbers in the world whilst his heart rate barely increased. Believable?

[quote user="canarydan23"]Just to add a little context....

On the day in question, when Froome''s asthma was allegedly so bad that he had to up his inhaler dosage, he managed to distance his then closest competitor Vincenzo Nibali (no slouch and who has won the Tour de France, Vuelta a Espana and Giro D''Italia (twice) in his career) on the final climb by 19 seconds.

His salbutamol levels were DOUBLE what is permitted. We''re not talking a touch over the allowed limits here. It was double.

For precedent, Alessandro Pettachi received a 12 month ban and was stripped of 5 Giro stage wins and Diego Ulissi received a 9 month ban and in both of these cases they have lower levels of salbutamol than Chris Froome.

If anyone is interested in just how "good" Chris Froome''s physiology is, stick "Chris Froome Ventoux Data" and you can witness a man who has already been in the saddle for hours, having already ascended thousands of feet, attack one of the best climbers in the world whilst his heart rate barely increased. Believable?[/quote]

I detect cynicism there, Dan. Are you suggesting Froome is a doper?

With regard to Salbutamol, it has been tested many times to show no performance enhancing effects, and in a very few cases the very smallest evidence of masking other substances.

So the fact that there is a limit on its dosage in the first place seems unnecessary.

I don''t think it is fair to suggest Froome has ''doped.'' Every other day of the Veulta no adverse results were found.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Read the article canarydan.And treacletown - you made me lol, ignore the Reading supporter.[/quote]

His comment was stupid. And you laughed at his response? Simple things eh?

PS, I know you must enjoy playing make believe, but disappointingly for you, I am not a Reading fan. Carry on calling me one though if you wish. I don''t mind, but do find it weird that you get a kick from it.

I''m sceptical as to whether anyone has won the Tour de France truly clean in my entire lifetime and certainly not since the EPO days.

Froome''s story is just too incredible to swallow. His transformation from back of the peloton struggler at Barloworld to among the elite in the sport''s entire history cannot be explained purely by his bilharzia claims.

[quote user="canarydan23"]I''m sceptical as to whether anyone has won the Tour de France truly clean in my entire lifetime and certainly not since the EPO days.

Froome''s story is just too incredible to swallow. His transformation from back of the peloton struggler at Barloworld to among the elite in the sport''s entire history cannot be explained purely by his bilharzia claims.[/quote]

I think it’s impossible to define ‘truely clean’.

Would an athlete be clean for they won an event immediately after drinking a double espresso?

In general, are footballers ‘truely clean’ in your opinion?

Truly clean means, as far as I''m concerned, to have won without PEDs or by abusing the TUE system.

And it''s that definition I use when I say no one has won it truly clean in my lifetime.

Wiggins may have not broken any rules but he almost certainly operated outside of the spirit of them. Froome has also and now looks like he''s gone one better and actually broken the rules.

Still, the Tour should be a better spectacle with Froome banned.