Sign in to follow this  
Molly Windley

What do we do with Josh?

I have been a fan of young  Jamal Lewis for some time and now he is fit again he opens up a lot of options for Farke. We now have Stiepermann, Husband and Lewis that can play anywhere on the left side with the ability to attack and defend. I can see Farke playing any two from these three on the left ahead of Murphy.That being the situation, what do we do with Josh as he does not tackle, track or defend very well and looks more lost on the right than he does on the left so is switching him really an option?I`m not knocking Josh as all players have slumps in form, but he is offering little to the side at the moment and looks a little "out of it" during games.

Should be rested for a bit. Maybe a few under 23 games etc will do him good. Also, I''d rather Watkins or Wildshut play that position at the moment. Lewis could go straight into LB whilst Husband is out and Stiepermann struggling a bit (not his natural position to be fair).

Use him as an impact sub up front late In the match if we’re trailing. His pace should get in behind tiring defences.

[quote user="JF"]Use him as an impact sub up front late In the match if we’re trailing. His pace should get in behind tiring defences.[/quote]Agree with this. He doesn''t appear to have the all round game to warrant a starting place, but for a specific job, like late in a match where pace might be what is needed, he could be key.  But whenever he is on the pitch, either from the start or as a sub - he has to show a bit more gumption.

He''s still our leading scorer and we don''t score over many so I wouldn''t look to discard him too soon. He clearly needs a rest but it''s far too quick to write him off.

Provide him with a role that suits his abilities and minimises his weaknesses. Any of the forward three positions in a 343 might well be ideal for example.

He can score goals. He is fast and can beat a man. Such a skillset is not so easy to find.

Parma

Can he beat a man though Parma? I rarely see him do it. He always seems to cut inside and shoot.

Like his brother, he has a wicked shot on him and plenty of pace. But I feel he lacks the guile to beat defenders.

Impact sub for me. Doesn''t integrate well into team play and as a result we look disjointed when he plays.

Rest and use away from home where hiy on break makes the most of his assets

He can beat a man and did so regularly at Cardiff but had little support when he did.

Still needs to improve defensive work but bench and use as a sub is t2ge way for him to regain his confidence

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Can he beat a man though Parma?[/quote]
Yes, he done it plenty of times just over a week ago against Cardiff.

He was also excellent in the game against Arsenal, just frustratingly inconsistent at times.

I could see him working in a 3-4-3 as it would free him up from much tracking back.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="lincoln canary"]Can he beat a man though Parma?[/quote]
[/quote]I might be wrong, but Cardiff played Manga ( a centre back) at right back where Josh`s push and run style outpaced him. He struggles against quicker full backs and has no tricks or ball skills to beat a man from a standing start.

[quote user="Molly Windley"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="lincoln canary"]Can he beat a man though Parma?[/quote]
[/quote]I might be wrong, but Cardiff played Manga ( a centre back) at right back where Josh`s push and run style outpaced him. He struggles against quicker full backs and has no tricks or ball skills to beat a man from a standing start.[/quote]

Thanks Molly, exactly my point. Shame Piggy decided against acknowledging my full post.

He has no guile.

[quote user="Molly Windley"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="lincoln canary"]Can he beat a man though Parma?[/quote]
[/quote]I might be wrong, but Cardiff played Manga ( a centre back) at right back where Josh`s push and run style outpaced him. He struggles against quicker full backs and has no tricks or ball skills to beat a man from a standing start.[/quote]

Thanks Molly, exactly my point. Shame Piggy decided against acknowledging my full post.

He has no guile.

A spell on the bench would work. The home game v Birmingham earlier this year was prime example how good he can be.

He is a young winger going through a predictably bad patch, we have to show a bit of patience and he’ll no doubt come out the other side. It’ll probably help him to have the likes of tettey and trybull back to do the donkey work.

When are people gonna stop treating him like he''s a youth team player? He''s coming on 23 ffs

His whole career he''s been a bit infront of his brother till last season, jacob improved the parts of his game he was lacking and it paid off, Josh has so much talent but when the lad won''t jump for a header, gets brushed off the ball like he isn''t there, fails constantly to track a runner and pulls out of every 50/50 tackle hes going to get criticised by fans and hooked at half time by the manager, we cant afford to have a player in our team like that in this league.

I thought his brother getting a big move would spur him on to improve but all it seems to me to have done is give him a sense of entitlement, he''s always been better so why should he have to play in a league bellow his brother now, he thinks he''s far better than he currently is and holding his ear to the crowd when scoring shows he thinks it and how dare anyone criticise him, if he doesn''t buck up his work rate and effort it''s time to move him on to sit on the bench of a lower prem team.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]When are people gonna stop treating him like he''s a youth team player? He''s coming on 23 ffs

His whole career he''s been a bit infront of his brother till last season, jacob improved the parts of his game he was lacking and it paid off, Josh has so much talent but when the lad won''t jump for a header, gets brushed off the ball like he isn''t there, fails constantly to track a runner and pulls out of every 50/50 tackle hes going to get criticised by fans and hooked at half time by the manager, we cant afford to have a player in our team like that in this league.

I thought his brother getting a big move would spur him on to improve but all it seems to me to have done is give him a sense of entitlement, he''s always been better so why should he have to play in a league bellow his brother now, he thinks he''s far better than he currently is and holding his ear to the crowd when scoring shows he thinks it and how dare anyone criticise him, if he doesn''t buck up his work rate and effort it''s time to move him on to sit on the bench of a lower prem team.[/quote]

Very well put.

"holding his ear to the crowd"

Perhaps he reads the Pinkun?!

Having said that he wouldn''t be in my starting XI. Now with Pritchard back we have some players that actually have a football brain as well as the ability to run.

Always supported him but to be honest if we could get a decent fee he might benefit from getting away and we need the money to help fund another striker.

ATM he''s out of form so needs to be dropped. Can be very effective, but blows hot and cold, and that''s a worry for someone 22. Got time on his side.

Give him a rest, play in U-23''s and let him re-earn his place in the team. That will show what fight he''s got

I have little doubt that come January Josh will be back plying his trade with his brother. Poor form or not, and that was always likely to happen after separation from his twin, Benitez is a huge fan!

And as an aside, who won Newcastle’s player of the month this week with 61.1% if the vote, being presented with this Saturday, Jacob Murphy!

Fans were questioning Benitez over the 12m gamble he took, but not now! And they want brother too.

Isn''t he one of our top scorers??

People are crazy saying drop him and sell him. Flair players, especially wingers, always blow a bit hot and cold. That is the nature of the beast.

He is a classic case in point. Can do next to nothing for 88 minutes and then BOOM! Ball in the net.

I would start him every match. He is one of only a couple of players we have who can bring some magic out of nothing at all.

Fantastic tactic. Carry a player for 88 minutes and risk the game being lost, just for a magic Josh Murphy consolation.

Josh Murphy is not special enough, and the rest of the team are not good enough, to be able to carry him. He''s all round play is just not good enough.

He has fantastic attributes, namely pace and a great technique when striking a ball. But he''s erratic and lacks football brains.

Still time to improve. If he wants it.

Dean Coney''s boots wrote the following post at 2017-12-13 11:50 AM:

Isn''t he one of our top scorers??

People are crazy saying drop him and sell him. Flair players, especially wingers, always blow a bit hot and cold. That is the nature of the beast.

So would you rather it was Pritchard.......ie Maddison that was sold?

And don’t be surprised. Benitez has the latter in his sights too, maybe a double strike!!

I’m not sure we can afford the luxury of players like Josh, especially in this league with the squad that we have. If we need to sell to buy then ( sadly ) he would be the one I would let go. Another striker must surely be our top priority.