Sign in to follow this  
Feel The Force

Oliveira Sell or Keep in Jan?

Problem is Nelson is on unsustainable wages at this level so unless he was firing us to promotion, we can’t afford to reject good money for him. The stark reality is that we are not going up and the likes of Maddison are on lower wages.

If decent money (£10m or more, no less) comes in, we need to consider it. Perhaps there is a decent striker abroad to add to the mix for fairly cheap that could do it. It’s a shame we missed out on haller who looks like he’d have been a great fit. There’s plenty of decent strikers out there, we just have to dig a bit.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]So how many of the Nelson haters on this thread were wanting him to miss the penalty last night?

Maybe the haters will take on board Nelson’s finger to the lips and shut the fuck up now![/quote]

Perhaps you could do the same sometimes.  After Oliveira''s performance against Cardiff, he rightly took a battering from the critics - he was useless. And he missed one he should have scored yesterday, so he is not totally redeemed yet.  Great to see him score and maybe get his mojo back, but just let him show some form and consistency for the rest of the season and then people will be able to say, well done Oli, you proved us wrong.

You ought to take heed of your own words too!

So maybe Murphy should get lambasted this week then as he’s been worse than Olivera? Should we sell him too?

Oliveira could have scored alot more this season so before he starts shhhh us i would like to see a few more goals

he is no Dean Ashton so should just get on with his job scoring one goal does not win me over yet

I''m hoping the more direct running style of Pritch and Maddison where they get in and around the box will have a positive effect on Oliveira. I''m confident there''s more to come from him and he actually played well yesterday despite that first half miss.

He''s a quality striker low on confidence and even then is the only striker we have who knows where the goal is.

He played a role in both the 1st and 3rd goals today and at least got himself in positions to score, which is more than Jerome managed in his recent run.

[quote user="Capt. Pants"]I''m hoping the more direct running style of Pritch and Maddison where they get in and around the box will have a positive effect on Oliveira. I''m confident there''s more to come from him and he actually played well yesterday despite that first half miss.[/quote]That has been my thought, he looked back to his old form yesterday, but the post above is correct. One goal doesn''t make a summer (in Moscow).So maybe if he stopped making such a fuss when he does score, and knock afew more in then we shall see what he can do.But selling is dependent upon who is buying and his antics will not have helped - perhaps someone should tell him to score without having to make a statement after.

Oliviera is a good striker but previous to yesterday when we happened to be on sky the effort wasnt there.

The irony isnt lost on me that King compliments Oliviera on getting into scoring positions. How many were complimenting Jerome of that on his misses earlier in the season?

Oliveria consistently gets into better scoring positions than Jerome. Yes, his misses were frustrating but my main problem wiith Jerome earlier this season was that he offered such little goal threat. If you miss almost every chance you have (as Jerome has done this season) you''ll get more stick than someone who takes a decent percentage of theirs.

Nelson, despite an injury and some questionable form, is far and away our best striker. He''s actually spent less minutes on the pitch than Jerome yet has 5 more goals. You can even argue that his goals have been responsible for 8 of our points this season.

Oliviera isnt far better than Jerome. He might offer a little more overall but there isnt a big gap between the two.

Oliveira, since coming back into the team, didnt even bother vaguely competing for balls in the air or pressurising the defence until the cameras were on him yesterday. He then missed two chances which were easier to score before scoring a penalty.

Had Jerome battled for every ball as he does for the past two games and then missed the same golden chance Oliviera did youd be on here criticising him, whereas Oliviera gets praise.

Its bizarre but I understand its not unusual. Ive seen over the last day how hard fans have struggled to compliment Vrancic yesterday.

Absolute rubbish to say there''s not much between them. Jerome may run around, hold up the ball, give 100% every game but he carries zero goal threat. Oliveira is selfish, petulant and even lazy on occasion, but he sticks the round leather thing in the big white net and that''s what we''ve been sorely lacking.

He does, but tends to require a very similar strike rate to jerome. In that he normally requires 5 or 6 sights of goal to score.

[quote user="hogesar"]I didnt want him to miss. I wanted him to take his first two clear chances too. Imagine the posts on here had Jerome missed those?

He was better last night but I wont hold my breath just yet. Lets wait till we arent live on sky...[/quote]Exactly my thoughts.Hopefully notching a goal, even from the spot, may help his confidence and performances because although he improved a bit in the second half he was still one of the weakest links in yesterday''s performance.But unless things improve considerably in the next couple of games its time to give Jerome another chance - with some supply from Pritchard maybe he''ll get a few.

That just clearly isn''t true though Hoegsar.

Last season maybe- Nelson was scoring a goal every 5.1 shots, Jerome every 5.25.

This season however...

Jerome has one goal from 26 shots.

Nelson has 6 from 51.

Neither has great conversion rates but it isn''t remotely close.

It is also pretty concerning that Jerome has spent more minutes on the pitch but has half the number of shots, which again points to what you can see on the pitch- Nelson is just a much bigger goal threat.

This is all without considering Nelson having a much better touch along with being a much better passer. As of right now there is no contest in who is the better striker.

[quote user="king canary"]That just clearly isn''t true though Hoegsar.

Last season maybe- Nelson was scoring a goal every 5.1 shots, Jerome every 5.25.

This season however...

Jerome has one goal from 26 shots.

Nelson has 6 from 51.

Neither has great conversion rates but it isn''t remotely close.

It is also pretty concerning that Jerome has spent more minutes on the pitch but has half the number of shots, which again points to what you can see on the pitch- Nelson is just a much bigger goal threat.

This is all without considering Nelson having a much better touch along with being a much better passer. As of right now there is no contest in who is the better striker.[/quote]Am I the only one who wonders how we would do with both Jerome and Oliveira on the pitch?

@nuff

Maybe.

But I don''t see how you fit both of them, Maddison and Pritchard into the team without leaving ourselves totally exposed in midfield.

So you play Maddison and Pritchard out wide? I don''t see it.

I''d stick with what we had in the second half today and go from there.

Perhaps we could have a more fluid attack? Maddison seems to stay central more than the others - Nelson, Cam, Pritchard all quite happily drift out to the wings if required - & the full backs can overlap occasionally.

It would need practice to instinctively know what the others positioning will be, but I think they have the ability. Anyhow, it''s just a suggestion for one type of formation.

CDMullins wrote the following post at 2017-12-16 9:55 PM:

Another performance full of heart, desire, passion and hard work....

Can’t argue with that, but he is there to score goals, hence being called a striker! Which he isn’t at this time!

Heart, desire, passion and hard work is what is expected of all team members, he needs goals, as does Jerome, to his philosophy.

He has not proved himself at all wherever he has been, and that tells us all, time for him to move on!

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]Absolute rubbish to say there''s not much between them. Jerome may run around, hold up the ball, give 100% every game but he carries zero goal threat. Oliveira is selfish, petulant and even lazy on occasion, but he sticks the round leather thing in the big white net and that''s what we''ve been sorely lacking.[/quote].................and we still are.  There doesn''t seem to be much between them at the moment.

Sky cameras werent at Elland Road so Oliveira reverted to his pre Wednesday performance levels.