Sign in to follow this  
Big O

The Evils of Money

[quote user="Big O"].....

I was lucky enough to have been born in 78 and watch Division1 football when, yes there were still big clubs, but every team had a chance of a decent season and finishing up the table. [/quote]Not lucky enough.You missed the John Bond years

Tru dat Sam, though salary caps, no relegation and movable franchises don’t strike me as deeply Friedmanite principles....

Whether restricting Alan Sugar’s ‘prune juice effect’ is good business is another issue entirely. The rich owners living differently and operating a cabal at the expense of the workers (players) sounds a lot more like Karl Marx than the free movement of capital though....

Parma

[quote]user="Parma Ham''s gone mouldy"]Tru dat Sam, though salary caps, no relegation and movable franchises don’t strike me as deeply Friedmanite principles....

Whether restricting Alan Sugar’s ‘prune juice effect’ is good business is another issue entirely. The rich owners living differently and operating a cabal at the expense of the workers (players) sounds a lot more like Karl Marx than the free movement of capital though....

Parma[/quote]

If you are wanting to assign deeper philosophical reasoning to this one could argue that the salary cap is an analogue for Friedman''s monetarist ideals and that the lack of relegation is merely an attempt to guarantee the owners/franchises permanent income.

I would actually disagree (as opposed to be facetious) with the point about Karl Marx, true it is not the free movement of capital, but it is certainly the exploitation of the producers (proletariat /players) by those that own the means of production (bourgeoisie/owners) and that should lead to unrest dissent from the producers...as the take the knee movement in the NFL could be compared to.

In a way the UK model is more in keeping with Marxist theory in that the wealth is distributed amongst the collective as opposed to being pooled by the ruling (owning) classes (sorry, being facetious again)

alex_ncfc wrote the following post at 2017-12-19 1:47 AM:

When they decide to make the top league a closed league with no relegation, then it''ll be game over.

We will get a European super league before that happens, (and that is not far off if Sky TV and other TV parties get their way.)!

[quote user="City 2nd"]alex_ncfc wrote the following post at 2017-12-19 1:47 AM:

When they decide to make the top league a closed league with no relegation, then it''ll be game over.

We will get a European super league before that happens, (and that is not far off if Sky TV and other TV parties get their way.)![/quote]

That''s when I will stop following football! That will be the end of it for me!