Sign in to follow this  
ec-p

Canos

Bound to have the game of his life on Friday. Still a bit of a mystery as to what went on there. At least we got our money back, I suppose.

Never claimed I was.

But Neil''s handling of talented attacking players last season was beyond baffling. £8m spent on Pritchard but refused to give him a run in the team. Canos bought in and never even given a chance. Maddison loaned out and then not used when he returned.

I would have done a bit of rotation probably.

It isn''t like Canos was getting chances off the bench or anything. He got one start, two chances off the bench and then frozen out until we sold him.

During that period we went something like 12 games without a win and on occasions Jacob looked jaded so giving a young talent we''d paid £2.5m for (reportedly) a shot doesn''t seem such a mad suggestion.

So?

He''s getting regular games at a team above is in the table and I believe was injured earlier in the season.

I''m entirely confused as to why people feel the need to defend Neil on this one- he bought a player, never played and them sold him while spending more on another winger who now doesn''t play very much for us, while the one he sold is showing himself to be a solid Championship performer.

joined us because he wanted to play week in week out. Jacobs form prevented that and Canos didn t get what he signed up for and didnt like it.

Still wanted to play regularly and so asked for and was granted a move.

One of those moves that fate conspired against.

[quote user="king canary"]So?

He''s getting regular games at a team above is in the table and I believe was injured earlier in the season.

I''m entirely confused as to why people feel the need to defend Neil on this one- he bought a player, never played and them sold him while spending more on another winger who now doesn''t play very much for us, while the one he sold is showing himself to be a solid Championship performer.[/quote]

Careful, it seems as though you are expecting a serious or adult debate on here.... you will be MASSIVELY disappointed.

PS Re Canos - totally agree

@Zimmer

I''d sympathise with that point of view if he''d been getting some game time off the bench. However to freeze a player out after working hard to sign him in the summer smacks of bad management to me.

As mentioned above it also fits into a pattern of Neil not really knowing how to use talented attacking footballers. He spent a bundle on Pritchard but essentially refused to use him in any meaningful way, refused to use Maddison after he returned from Aberdeen, all the while giving game time to the hard working but much less talented Naismith.

Is this the same Alex Neil who''s Preston team are well above us in the league having scored more goals than us even with our wealth of attacking talented players?

Just out of interest how many goals had we scored this time last season with a manager that didn''t know about attacking football?

Alex Neil is a great manager motivating players when he has no money hamilton when he first came here and preston

its when we gave him money it all went wrong he stopped doing the high press Attacking football and was a Rabbit in headlights on who to sign with transfers

if he came here now he would get the team playing better i have no doubt without signing anyone

Canos couldnt get in the team ahead of Murphy who obviously had a particularly good goalscoring and assist figure considering it was his first season at that level. Canos had a few league cup appearances if i remember and bar a single goal didnt offer much if memory serves me right.

I seem to remember someone we can’t name on here saying he watched Canos in an under 23 game and he didn’t look any better than any of the others.

Saw Canos in every under 23 game he played, constantly berated by manager and fellow players for never tracking back, when Nelson was one of those players it says a lot, yes Nelson moaning at someone else for not putting the effort in

Hahaah DDD, good to hear from someone who actually saw him play rather than making random judgement calls!

Look, I''m not claiming he''s some sort of world beater.

But if you spend a couple of million on a young player it is pretty fucking weird to then refuse to play him.

Made even more weird by the fact he''s gone to another championship team and proved he''s actually not a bad player at this level.

Well Brentford fans seem to think he has...

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sergi-canos-brentford-match-made-13992592.amp?__twitter_impression=true

C''mon folks, engage with the point I''m making, not some made up strawman.

I''m not claiming Canos was ''the answer'' to anything, I don''t think if we''d have played him more we''d have got promoted.

I''m saying that there is some staggeringly poor management going on when you sign a player, freeze him out, never give him a sniff of a chance (despite a 12 game run without a win) and then sell him. Now at the time we could maybe say ''he just isn''t good enough for this level, poor scouting.'' Except he''s now gone on to show he can cut it at this level.

This failure is compounded further by signing another winger for more money who now warms our bench.

It also sits in a pattern of Neil having ''issues'' managing some of our more exciting attacking talents (Pritchard, Maddison, Canos, Josh, even Redmond).

If a player gets opportunities in the U23''s to impress but doesn''t, all whilst someone who plays in his position in the first team is scoring and assisting goals, then it''s hardly surprising he doesn''t get a massive look in to the first team. During our 12 game run he could have given him a couple of opportunities but it''s hardly a glaring error. The fact he''s performing averagely for Brentford doesn''t really prove or disprove anything.

I''m not talking about his ''attacking problems'' I''m talking about his issues using certain types of players correctly.

Do you think he got the most he could out of our £8m summer signing? Or out of Maddison? Or even out of Wildschut?

We scored a shed load of goals because we basically threw 8 players forward with every attack and spent our entire transfer budget on attacking midfielders while completely ignoring the defence, not because Neil is some genius attacking manager.