Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Tide has turned

The team played well yesterday getting a well deserved win.Everyone can see that the last two matches have seen the team play well,so on that basis we should push on to top eight form.Play offs are still possible, but we need to show more against the top teams.But it is looking like the tide had turned and we can head off on the good ship norwich.

As well as making exceedingly good cakes I think Kipling was a NCFC fan.
If you can keep your head when all about you   

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,   

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;   

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,

Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,

And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;   

If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;   

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same;  

If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,   

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,   

Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,   

Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,   

And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

We win ONE match after 8 without a win and we are world beaters all of a sudden, and going to make the play offs again!

You couldn’t make it up.

It''s nice to have a positive thread on here for once, but there''s no point getting ahead of ourselves. Enjoy yesterdays result and hope it leads to better times.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]We win ONE match after 8 without a win and we are world beaters all of a sudden, and going to make the play offs again!

You couldn’t make it up.[/quote]

Who''s said we''re world beaters? We''ve won one game. Let''s push onto the next.

We''ve gone on a long unbeaten run. Nothing to say they can''t do it again. But onto the next one and hopefully another win

[quote user="Baldyboy"]We win ONE match after 8 without a win and we are world beaters all of a sudden, and going to make the play offs again!

You couldn’t make it up.[/quote]

You just did make it up. All the op said was that the play offs are possible. 

Not referring to just this thread! It’s the people like you who think that nothing was wrong!

One win in 9 it is, whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the second half yesterday it’s too early to think everything is rosy again, let’s see what the Christmas period brings before we cream our pants again, shall we?

And that’s called realism, not pessimism as some will no doubt say!

I''m not holding my breath are getting anything at Elland Rd but after that there are 4 winnable games over Christmas. ...I''ll reserve judgement until after those .10 pts out of 12 from those 4 and I might be prepared to think we can kick on.

Need tettey back in that midfield too to anchor Pritchard and maddison

Bit early to be talking about a turning tide but the second half yesterday was our best performance of the season- more of that and all will be forgiven.

"If you can keep your head when all about you   

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you, " 
are you sure that was Kipling ?I thought it was much earlieraround 1792

The play offs are possible as much as me winning the lottery - we were not good first half yesterday and suddenly have a good performance in the second half and all of a sudden we are play off contenders - let’s see after the next game where we stand to possibly realise that yesterday was not just another false dawn

Not sure if this is Kipling but remember this:

"One Swallow doesn''t make a Summer".

Need a huge number of swallows to make a summer. The summer looks remote and even more so if the stars move in the winter.

lake district canary wrote the following post at 2017-12-10 2:29 PM:

Baldyboy wrote:

We win ONE match after 8 without a win and we are world beaters all of a sudden, and going to make the play offs again! You couldn’t make it up.

You just did make it up. All the op said was that the play offs are possible.

Of course the play offs are possible. A top two finish is possible. Relegation is possible. Mid table mediocrity is possible. Anything is possible. That’s the nature of the game!

[quote user="pete"]Not sure if this is Kipling but remember this:

"One Swallow doesn''t make a Summer".

Need a huge number of swallows to make a summer. The summer looks remote and even more so if the stars move in the winter.[/quote]If it is quotes, then to paraphrase PG Wodehouse ''It has never been hard to tell the difference between pete with a grievance and a ray of sunshine.''

The tide goes in and out at regular intervals.This is known as high tides and low tides.However, sometimes a high tide is a high high tide and sometimes a high tide is a low high tide.Likewise, sometimes a low tide is a high low tide and sometimes a low tide is a low low tide.For the last 8 and a half games we''ve only had low low tides.For the 2nd half yesterday we had a high low tide.Still a long way to go before we get anywhere near a high high tide.

"Why do you wash you clothes in Tide ?Because it''s too bruddy cold out tide"Benny Hill 1972

[quote user="king canary"]Bit early to be talking about a turning tide but the second half yesterday was our best performance of the season- more of that and all will be forgiven.[/quote]So what exactly needs to be forgiven kc? Isn''t what we''ve seen so far performance-wise pretty much what any rational person would have expected, especially given the added handicap of injury to pivotal players? 

No, it’s not what people would have expected.

You expected us to go from being one of the top scorers at home to a team that can barely create a chance?

You expected us to adopt a brand of awful, slow, turgid football which means it takes 8 passes just to cross the half way line whilst watching our opponents slice through us in the break at will?

You seem to be confusing form with our actual style of play, which was found out by Sunderland after about 5 minutes and almost every team since.

Hopefully the much improved, more direct, quicker, less possession focused play we saw in the 2nd half means we will actually finally change our brand

[quote user="Baldyboy"]let’s see what the Christmas period brings before we cream our pants again, shall we?[/quote]Much more fun than messing them like you nappy crappers Baldy. [:D]

lappinitup wrote the following post at 10/12/2017 5:24 PM:

Baldyboy wrote:

let’s see what the Christmas period brings before we cream our pants again, shall we?

Much more fun than messing them like you nappy crappers Baldy. Big Smile [:D]

What unpleasant imagery.🤮

As I said the tide has turned,we are playing as a team.Another win and we can really look forward instead of looking back.You can only affect the future not past performances.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]No, it’s not what people would have expected.

You expected us to go from being one of the top scorers at home to a team that can barely create a chance?

You expected us to adopt a brand of awful, slow, turgid football which means it takes 8 passes just to cross the half way line whilst watching our opponents slice through us in the break at will?

You seem to be confusing form with our actual style of play, which was found out by Sunderland after about 5 minutes and almost every team since.

Hopefully the much improved, more direct, quicker, less possession focused play we saw in the 2nd half means we will actually finally change our brand[/quote] My post is about neither form nor style of play; it''s about confusing where we are five months and one transfer window into a radical revamp of playing style and squad, with some point much further on in the process (a process expected to take at least three transfer windows and more than a single season to bring to fruition). 
And in answer to your two questions, no, I had no such expectations; my only expectation was that we were in for a fascinating season of transformation the eventual outcome of which would not be discernible this side of Christmas 2018 at the earliest. 

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="Rogue Baboon"]No, it’s not what people would have expected.

Hopefully the much improved, more direct, quicker, less possession focused play we saw in the 2nd half means we will actually finally change our brand[/quote] My post is about neither form nor style of play; it''s about confusing where we are five months and one transfer window into a radical revamp of playing style and squad, with some point much further on in the process (a process expected to take at least three transfer windows and more than a single season to bring to fruition). 
And in answer to your two questions, no, I had no such expectations; my only expectation was that we were in for a fascinating season of transformation the eventual outcome of which would not be discernible this side of Christmas 2018 at the earliest. 
[/quote]
[Y]

"Isn''t what we''ve seen so far performance-wise pretty much what any rational person would have expected"

I believe form and style of play would both fall under ''performance'' but what do I know.

As Rogue has said going three months without a home win, being one of the lowest scorers in the league and sitting 5 points below Ipswich near the halfway point of the season is not what I expected and I''d hazard a guess not what ''any rational person'' would have been expecting.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Isn''t what we''ve seen so far performance-wise pretty much what any rational person would have expected, especially given the added handicap of injury to pivotal players? [/quote]In a word, no.If what we''ve been served up in terms of style, performance and results is what you were expecting then your expectations must have been very low. And I don''t think the powers that be at the Club were expecting what we seen thus far either. They, like the majority of fans, were probably expecting a few teething problems, some hiccups and a smattering of ups & downs.But not the dreadful stuff that we''ve witnessed for most of the season thus far.

I hop the tide has turned, the next few resultants will be tangible evidence oneway or another. It needs to be borne in mind that Wednesday effectively play a 4-4-2 which allowed us to dominate midfield, it will be interesting to see what happens when we are matched for numbers that area of the field.......

[quote user="mr footy"]The team played well yesterday getting a well deserved win.Everyone can see that the last two matches have seen the team play well,so on that basis we should push on to top eight form.Play offs are still possible, but we need to show more against the top teams.But it is looking like the tide had turned and we can head off on the good ship norwich.[/quote]Based on one completely isolated game, the OP must now be totally embarrassed by this post.For God''s sake wake up and look at what''s going on (or not as the case may be), it''s not working and it ain''t ever gonna work.The experiment has completely failed in less than 5 months.It is not a work in progress because there is no progress - same errors, short comings and failings every week.Farke is completely out of his depth and needs to be sacked immediately. Webber is a one hit wonder who has been found out and the players don''t give a sh*te.The tide has definitely not turned and we are slowly but surely getting washed out to sea with it.