Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Barnsley...

Jim, I agree that it would be hypocritical to sell at a

profit. However, given what they have said it could be considered

hypocritical to sell at all. In for a penny....?I don''t think that I would disagree with investors making a return on their investment if it is mutually beneficial, but it is this  caveat that is hard to envisage with confidence. Even if the first lot of investors wished to profit purely from capital appreciation (rather than just taking a percentage of the TV money when/ if we are promoted), they would then sell on to others etc etc.I would also point out that selling at too low a price would make us very vulnerable to asset strippers seeking a quick profit.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]And badger you''ve provided no evidence Barnsley are going to magically appear these extra fans that you think are hiding in the wings, end of story[/quote]Actually I quoted from the evidence that you yourself provided to substantiate the potential value of the investment at 9.45 yesterday morning. Simon Chadwick, a professor of sport enterprise at Salford University, said

"This is not a random purchase; it is not a

sugar-daddy purchase; it is not a vanity purchase. There will be very

clear economic and strategic reasons for buying the club.

"There is not just interest in football, but interests in broader industrial, economic and commercial opportunities beyond that. Getting

to the Premier League will be important but in my experience of the

Chinese and their investors, football is a means to an end, not an end

in itself.
"

The HS2 rail line through South Yorkshire, a

multi-million pound retail scheme in the town and a drive to boost

tourism in the area in the coming years all "fit the bill" according to

Chadwick

But then, Chadwick is only a professor is Sports Enterprise - what would he know? I prefer to refer back to the figures that you yourself provided, which make the case perfectly.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]LDC you''ve gone from page 1 of this thread saying Barnsley can stick the billionaires we''ve got a much better squad to page 9 they have as much chance of getting promoted as us with their current squad, what a fucking clown you really are[/quote]
This made me laugh.
[/quote]

I don''t know why.  To start with I didn''t say we had a much better squad, only that we have some good players and that our prospects are good with the players we''ve got. Anyhow, a better squad doesn''t necessarily give a club a better chance of promotion. It''s which team/manager/club that gets it right on the pitch at any particular time that gets promotion - and that could be virtually any team in the league at this moment, right down to Sunderland in 21st place.

I don''t know why. To start with I didn''t say we had a much better squad, only that we have some good players and that our prospects are good with the players we''ve got. Anyhow, a better squad doesn''t necessarily give a club a better chance of promotion. It''s which team/manager/club that gets it right on the pitch at any particular time that gets promotion - and that could be virtually any team in the league at this moment, right down to Sunderland in 21st place.

Are you serious suggesting that Sunderland, who are 19 points off the play offs, could still make them!!? That’s ridiculous.

He is ridiculous, bloke''s up there with the biggest knobs ever seen on a football chat forum and badger that isn''t evidence that''s someone else''s opinion, I remember McNally saying we could expand to 35k gates so I''ll use that then

[quote user="lake district canary"]Anyhow, a better squad doesn''t necessarily give a club a better chance of promotion.[/quote]You mean like having the best car in F1 doesn''t give you a better chance of winning the race or that Man C''s players are not the reason they''ve won 15 on the bounce.What deluded logic you have. You really need to think things through before you post. 

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]He is ridiculous, bloke''s up there with the biggest knobs ever seen on a football chat forum and badger that isn''t evidence that''s someone else''s opinion, I remember McNally saying we could expand to 35k gates so I''ll use that then[/quote]DDD - It is the same opinion that you cited earlier - I just took the source that you gave when making your original point. Perhaps we could get crowds of 35k - I''d like to think so. However, to do so would cost require a new stand - £10+million, I''d guess - it would take several years at full capacity to even pay back the cost. I think that someone said that Barnsley get about 13k and have 24k potential. If successful they could get this at zero cost. Again making us a more expensive option, although personally, I think that crowds are a relatively small part of the equation

How are they going to get it at zero cost? Unless they pay transfer fees and wages for better players they will not improve on the pitch and more fans won''t attend games, in fact they could go down and crowds drop even further again, we are closer to getting promoted to the prem with our current players plus new investment while offsetting the cost with current gates and fan base minus the dead wood that will soon be out of contract so a much more investable proposition, I''m shocked that anyone would think the mighty Barnsley are a more investable than a club like ours

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]He is ridiculous, bloke''s up there with the biggest knobs ever seen on a football chat forum and badger that isn''t evidence that''s someone else''s opinion, I remember McNally saying we could expand to 35k gates so I''ll use that then[/quote]I may be ridiculous, but I don''t have a closed mind.  The permutations in this league are endless - and Hull, Sunderland, QPR, Reading and us are all going to have good spells through the season. Barnsley too if they get a burst of inspiration from the new situation there. Clubs have gone from right at the bottom of the league at Christmas to promotion.  I understand people like to compartmentalise everything - and everyone - into convenient packages so it makes it easier for them, but the truth is that this season is not even half way yet and nothing is decided for anyone.  If that is a ridiculous view, so be it, but I''d rather be ridiculous than make up my mind how things on a football field are going to be before they have even happened.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Sunderland would have to win practically every game to get anywhere near the play-offs.[/quote]They would need to win probably 18 games out of 24 and a draw or two to make the play offs.  It needs promotion form from now to the end of the season, but they have made a start - new manager and an upturn in results in the last couple of weeks - that is sometimes all that is needed to kick start confidence.  Anything can happen and we can be involved in that too - a good run will see us back challenging.

DDD - the point is that Barnsley have the potential to nearly double crowds without having to build new stands. For us to increase gates by about 25% will require a new stand, I imagine costing £10 million+.With regards investability, we would be much more expensive and the upside is proportionately smaller. I refer you back to the figures that you yourself provided for examples of return on capital employed. As stated before, I suspect that the investors feel that they might benefit from regional infrastructure investment as well and the accelerator effect that this is likely to bring - they feel that they are investing in an area that may well be "on the up."

And if they can do it with zero money being put in why haven''t they? Why haven''t they got a bigger fan base? Why don''t they sell out games? Why aren''t they in the premier league? Why aren''t the best players in the world join Barnsley on the 3k a week the current players get?

We already have the fans base they haven''t

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Nope, you were talking absolute s hite and everyone else thinks so. Admit it and move on.[/quote]Ah yes the resorting to insults and speaking for "everyone".  Thought we''d got away from that a bit on here.Listen, the season isn''t even half way yet - nothing is decided anywhere.

I’ve no interest in getting involved in a slagging match with LDC as he does post some decent stuff. Unfortunately for him though, this is utter nonsense! Sunderland fans are just hoping they avoid relegation, I’d love to see their reaction if you told them they could still make the play offs!! 😂😂😂

I’ve had a little look at the Premiere League and I couldn’t help thinking to myself, you know what? Watford could still win this!!😂😂😂

I’ve had a look for you LDC and Sunderland to get promoted is 500/1👍🏻

How are we looking for those play offs LDC., still on cause?

[quote user="JF"]How are we looking for those play offs LDC., still on cause?[/quote]Nope, not at the moment. Another setback....but setbacks require a reaction so we''ll have to see what happens next game. Still a long way to go this season.

😂 you’re hilarious! I’m not sure if you mean to be though 👍🏻

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="JF"]How are we looking for those play offs LDC., still on cause?[/quote]Nope, not at the moment. Another setback....but setbacks require a reaction so we''ll have to see what happens next game. Still a long way to go this season.

[/quote]For God''s sake wake up.

For God''s sake wake up.

Come on now, the Ostrich can be a very stubborn creature 😄