Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Barnsley...

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fc/barnsley-takeover-by-investment-consortium-goes-through-1-8917985

Same owners as Nice in France. I thought foreign owners weren''t interested in unfashionable teams?

Pit Boots, Flat Caps, Pints ''o Bitter, Whippets tied around ankles and roast beef an'' Yorkshire pud..... must have been the attraction......

#"Hey Chukky Chukky Chukky!"#

Nobody out there is there?

Crucial difference of course being that the owner of Barnsley was (for very sad reasons) actively looking for a new owner and indeed was actualy offering ownership of the club to buyers rather than suggesting they may want to "invest" their cash in retrun for zero control and subject to first proving they were born and bred in Norfolk.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]It will be very interesting to see how that impacts them ... will they become the next Wolves or Forest?![/quote]

...or next Man City or next Chelsea ??

I remember when both those teams were rubbish. The idea that Chelsea or Man City could be league winners was as absurd as Leicester winning !

Who wants a Chinese billionaire and a pioneer of sports tactics and recruitment amongst its owners when you can have an elderly cook that after 20 years still can''t complete transfers without hiring in help and has a wealth that will just about get you a decent championship striker?

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Who wants a Chinese billionaire and a pioneer of sports tactics and recruitment amongst its owners when you can have an elderly cook that after 20 years still can''t complete transfers without hiring in help and has a wealth that will just about get you a decent championship striker?[/quote]

You can stick your billionare up on a pedastal and leave him there - I''d rather have what we''ve got....people in charge that care.  After all, it hasn''t been so bad, little old Norwich, low on resources as we know, but still able to get promoted to the PL several times in recent years. Little old Norwich who have perhaps two of the most exciting prospects they have ever had in the side at the moment in Pritchard and Maddison - and possibly a goalkeeper of true class.  Not to mention the other players in who we have real good quality - Pinto is excellent - the centre back situation is the best it has been for perhaps year, Trybull, Reed, Tettey.......this season isn''t done and dusted by any means.  I presume all the negativity will disappear if we set off on a good run, but then again, it will be bubbling away waiting to appear as soon as we have a bad result or two.....  Some people seem to think money is the answer to everything, well it isn''t.  Running a club within it''s means is a choice the club have made - and they should be congratulated for it.  Hankering after money is natural up to a point, we all like to be well off if possible, but although money can help, it won''t make you happy. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Who wants a Chinese billionaire and a pioneer of sports tactics and recruitment amongst its owners when you can have an elderly cook that after 20 years still can''t complete transfers without hiring in help and has a wealth that will just about get you a decent championship striker?[/quote]

You can stick your billionare up on a pedastal and leave him there - I''d rather have what we''ve got....people in charge that care.  After all, it hasn''t been so bad, little old Norwich, low on resources as we know, but still able to get promoted to the PL several times in recent years. Little old Norwich who have perhaps two of the most exciting prospects they have ever had in the side at the moment in Pritchard and Maddison - and possibly a goalkeeper of true class.  Not to mention the other players in who we have real good quality - Pinto is excellent - the centre back situation is the best it has been for perhaps year, Trybull, Reed, Tettey.......this season isn''t done and dusted by any means.  I presume all the negativity will disappear if we set off on a good run, but then again, it will be bubbling away waiting to appear as soon as we have a bad result or two.....  Some people seem to think money is the answer to everything, well it isn''t.  Running a club within it''s means is a choice the club have made - and they should be congratulated for it.  Hankering after money is natural up to a point, we all like to be well off if possible, but although money can help, it won''t make you happy. 

[/quote]When the average Championship player''s wage is £500k plus a year money is the answer. Especially when you take into consideration that these highly paid players are unable to do their jobs properly twice in one week and you have to rotate your squad to be comettetive. Meaning you need 18 players costing a minimum of £10-20m per anum, not to get promoted, but just to stay in the league.

We need one of these hinvestors like they have at Newcastle, or West BromMaybe even the one behind Swansea (a Swan Vestor, perhaps)Guaranteed success, that''s what we want

Unfortunately we have an infestation of happy clappers in the Norwich fan base, including the owners themselves. Football is a money game now whether you like it or not, and we will struggle to compete in this division for probably several years, and a drop to League One isn’t out of the question too. Further investment is vital if we want any chance of having a competitive football team. Unfortunately we have too many fans with no ambition at all that are petrified of change. Time for the Stowmarket duo to relinquish their toy in the best interests of NCFC - their ownership at this stage is only in their own self interest and is borderline negligent. #deliaout

a goalkeeper that doesn''t belong to us (always great for the future) and two players that will be sold to balance the books because our owners have no money, at least we''ll be able to look back on little old Norwich and a few years in the premier league eh? Years that were discribed by our director of football as pissing money against a wall, at least it was by people that care so that makes it ok.

When you say the owners have chosen to run the club within its means you seem to be forgetting by the end of the season we will be 7 million into an overdraft and will need to drop 150-200k off the overall wage budget while stuck with great players like Jarvis and Naismith just to try and break even, so lets all queue up to congratulate them shall we? Why don''t we invite the many people working behind the scenes at the club that''ll be losing their jobs at the end of the season.

The mistakes are always glossed over by the Delia obsessives. The Lambert years were great but if it wasn’t for them we’d pribsbky be stuck in the lower leagues, or even worse. Years of their mistakes had left us on the verge of administration and financial oblivion- and we’re heading there again unless we enjoy another minor miracle.

But there is no one out there interested in buying football clubs....

Seems like our owners have been ignoring any outside interest. It’s behaviour not in the interests of the football club, but do they can hold on to our club.

Rhubarb wrote the following post at 19/12/2017 8:40 PM:

We need one of these hinvestors like they have at Newcastle, or West Brom

Maybe even the one behind Swansea (a Swan Vestor, perhaps)

Guaranteed success, that''s what we want

The same West Brom that got promoted with us in 2003 and haven’t been relegated since?

Unfortunately we have an infestation of morons in our fan base who have doubtless achieved the square root of f^ck all in their personal careers, yet seem to know everything there is about financing and running a top football club.

I''m hoping the fag packet accountants and vocal detractors of Delia are putting together some sort of consortium approach that can get her our of the club for good, whilst at the same time elevating us to the level of Barcelona in a few years given the benefit of their advanced footballing and high level corporate financial know-how. After all, it is always so simple.

Ian wrote the following post at 19/12/2017 9:12 PM:

Unfortunately we have an infestation of morons in our fan base who have doubtless achieved the square root of f^ck all in their personal careers, yet seem to know everything there is about financing and running a top football club.

I''m hoping the fag packet accountants and vocal detractors of Delia are putting together some sort of consortium approach that can get her our of the club for good, whilst at the same time elevating us to the level of Barcelona in a few years given the benefit of their advanced footballing and high level corporate financial know-how. After all, it is always so simple.

What would be the point? They won’t fucking sell if the consortium was made up of Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg and Richard Branson.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]a goalkeeper that doesn''t belong to us (always great for the future) and two players that will be sold to balance the books because our owners have no money, at least we''ll be able to look back on little old Norwich and a few years in the premier league eh? Years that were discribed by our director of football as pissing money against a wall, at least it was by people that care so that makes it ok.

When you say the owners have chosen to run the club within its means you seem to be forgetting by the end of the season we will be 7 million into an overdraft and will need to drop 150-200k off the overall wage budget while stuck with great players like Jarvis and Naismith just to try and break even, so lets all queue up to congratulate them shall we? Why don''t we invite the many people working behind the scenes at the club that''ll be losing their jobs at the end of the season.[/quote]

The £7m figure is a projection and the facility is there to be utilised. A similar projection was made last year but never came about because of player trading (Brady and Olsson mainly). I’d be very surprised if we’re at the full £7m position when we see the next set of accounts, specifically because I think Klose will go in January and I’d be surprised if we managed to keep hold of both Maddison and Pritchard. Added to that we’re likely to be looking to offload the likes of Tettey, Naismith, Jarvis (doubtful), possibly Wes - and integrate Godfrey, Raggett, Lewis, Thompson etc to further regulate a wage bill that is unsustainable in our current position.

It’s what it is. It looks pretty bleak on paper but then we should never have got relegated/got promoted last season/had a massive advantage because of parachute payments on paper too.

Until you see a For Sale sign banged up over the directors entrance or someone turns up with an offer that can’t be refused; it’s where we are. You don’t have to like it but there’s little that can be done to alter it.

Maybe someone will take the bull by the nose ring and start a Delia Out movement and try to facilitate change by making their lives and experiences at Carrow Road so unpleasant that they feel they have no choice but to jack it in.

Dangerous plan because that is likely to see the first reasonable offer accepted and we could just end up with another well meaning amateur or comparatively poor local business person.

I don’t see how else this swell of fans can move her unless they snap up the shares themselves and that ain’t happening.

I guess we have to decide whether that is a risk worth taking. A bit like buying Van Wolfswinkel though; if we get it wrong, we’re f***ed.

Some people think we’re already f***ed.

I know it isn’t a decision I’d want on my shoulders but then I’m a barely educated benefit boy.

I think I’ll leave it up to the folk that know better than me. Fingers crossed, eh?

[quote user="JF"]Rhubarb wrote the following post at 19/12/2017 8:40 PM:

The same West Brom that got promoted with us in 2003 and haven’t been relegated since?[/quote]Or the Swansea that have spent 7 years on the bounce in The Premiership or the Newcastle that have spent only 2 seasons outside The Premiership in 25 years ?

Or the Swansea that have spent 7 years on the bounce in The Premiership or the Newcastle that have spent only 2 seasons outside The Premiership in 25 years ?

7 years on the bounce after again being promoted the same season as us.

Well, tbh, if Richard Branson was involved I wouldn''t blame them for running a mile.

In all seriousness, if a high profile offer was made for their shareholding, by people who care about the club, with a public plan of how to sustain the club and finance a promotion push, I would be absolutely amazed if Delia did not take the money and toddler off into the sunset.

Without question, D+M''s position would be immediately untenable if she was to block such an offer.

Now just the small matter of making it happen!

PS. Has anyone heard from Peter Cullum recently?

And there lies the problem. Their criteria of who they see as an acceptable person doesn’t exist. Convenient that, isn’t it? There isn’t many Norwich supporting billionaires who live locally ( not that they do either ) is there?

Exactly JF, they have set a criteria that only matches them - what a shocker!!

"We are not even listening to any enquiries" - what fantastic, caring owners we have.

Interesting. How do you judge a worthy investor then? FA''s Fit and Proper Persons Test?

Tell you what, let''s relax the requirements and suggest anyone with a few 10s of millions spare and would consider buying the club is acceptable. Have D+M turned anyone like that down recently?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Goodness me Lakey that post had so much wrong with it i have lost the will to reply.[/quote]You just did [;)]The finances are what they are and it has been shown over and over again that a simple investment will not be enough, even selling to someone with a couple of hundred million would not be enough to make a huge difference - it simply needs someone with bottomless pockets - £1000 million plus over two or three years to make the kind of difference that would see us up there competing for the best players and paying the top wages - and that still might not get us promoted, given the other clubs in the championship who have huge amounts of money going into their clubs. We would need a ridiculously large amount of money - and for what?  Will people be happy with that?  Not if we don''t succeed.   People mentioned Swansea and Newcastle.  When Swansea got promoted, they had spent several seasons working up a particular style of play that would sustain them in the PL - and it worked.  We had nothing in 2009 apart from desire to succeed - a strong attribute to have, but it was not based on a sustainable way of playing football in the PL. Newcastle are Newcastle - always throwing vast amounts of money around, not something that their fans particularly like - especially when half the time their team struggles to live up to their expectations. Our best bet is to do what Swansea did - develop a successful style of football. That is not reliant mainly on money - it is reliant on people, an ethos and a plan.  It looks to me as if we have the right kind of people, the right ethos and a plan. 

How do you judge a worthy owner? Personally I’d hand it down to a potless nobody just because he’s a relation....

Who knows who they have turned down, it seems even they don’t know who it is they have not listened to “we don’t even listen to any enquiries anymore”....

[quote user="JF"]Or the Swansea that have spent 7 years on the bounce in The Premiership or the Newcastle that have spent only 2 seasons outside The Premiership in 25 years ?

7 years on the bounce after again being promoted the same season as us.[/quote]
These are the current teams we wish we were along with the consecutive seasons we''ve been wishing. You''ll notice the huge turnover of clubs. After ten years Sunderland now wish they were one of these. But in May there''ll be three new ones on the list and three from the list wishing they were them.

Stoke 10

WBA 8

Swansea 7

Southampton 6

West Ham 6

Palace 5

Leicester 4

Bournemouth 3

Watford 3

Burnley 2

Newcastle 1

Brighton 1

Huddersfield 1

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="JF"]Rhubarb wrote the following post at 19/12/2017 8:40 PM:

The same West Brom that got promoted with us in 2003 and haven’t been relegated since?[/quote]Or the Swansea that have spent 7 years on the bounce in The Premiership or the Newcastle that have spent only 2 seasons outside The Premiership in 25 years ?[/quote]whoopee do !and what have they achieved ?they have won some games, they have lost some games