Sign in to follow this  
Coneys Knee

Delia has done so much for our club

That''s the message we are given on repeat. But what exactly has she given? Sure she bailed us out in our time of need, but if it wasn''t her it would have been somebody else. It wasn''t beyond the call of duty as such, it was just what many wealthy business owners do when they invest into a new business.

Beyond that, what has her regime actually done? In 21 years we are no further forward whatsoever. Under the previous regime we had 3rd, 4th & 5th placed top flight finishes, FA cup semi finals, a European adventure, a youth system that worked, a scouting system that worked, and if we weren''t achieving on the pitch, the ground and training facilities were being developed.

Now maybe I just don''t understand the ins and outs or maybe I''ve forgotten things but I can''t help but feel that under this regime we really have achieved very little in the scheme of things, and yet she is defended beyond belief.

I don''t dislike the woman as a person but I feel, like with everything in life, her ownership has run its course. I really don''t want to witness her hounded out so I wish she would do the honourable thing and start seeking a buyer.

I remember chase resurfacing for an interview about 10 years after he stepped down and asked if he would''ve done anything different with hindsight and replied with words to the effect of he wished he''d realised that everything has a shelf life and that he''d stepped down sooner.

I can''t help but feel history is going to repeat itself.

I disagree (in the title, rather than the message). She''s done untold damage to this club, through her own self interest.Correct in that she didn''t save the club; that is the nonsense trotted out over and over again by the Delia devotees (reality having any effect on you yet?). She''s an incredibly selfish woman who cannot conceive a weekend without the regularity of wining and dining at Carrow Road. That is her life, and we''re all having to pay for it with our own emotions. I just don''t believe them when they say they''ve had no interest in terms of investment, what they mean is that nobody has offered to give them a huge pile of cash without any influence. Who would go for that, with their history of incompetence?

If Farke was having a more successful start would the calls for Delia''s head be so loud? Probably not. People are prone to grasp at simple solutions and easy fixes in tough times and that''s understandable.

Selling out entirely to a foreign billionaire hasn''t worked for every club that has done it ... look at how miserable Blackburn fans have been for years.

Arguably, the board deserve praise for trying something new with Webber and if they are guilty of anything it was not being honest enough about how long it would take to bed in a club philosophy with dwindling tv revenue and a squad that we can''t afford to pay. Saying that we were still targeting promotion was always bonkers in my eyes and misleading.

The way I see it is as follows ... the rollercoaster ride that Lambert triggered 9 seasons ago has ended. This is the spluttering start of something new. It''s going to get bumpy. Strap yourself in. We''re building a soul that will avoid us being vulnerable to having decent managers poached and ineffective managers kept on because a replacement will demand a squad overhaul and may not have a magic wand either.

In my opinion the last few years have proven that our pre Webber model couldn''t sustain Prem football. We were over reliant on a manager with a midas touch. To get up and stay up we need to either shed loads of money (Wolves) or a grow a philosophy (Burnley / Huddersfield). The latter way is something to be more proud of, avoids the risk of replicating Pompey / Forest / Blackburn but requires patience! New investment doesn''t mean likely promotion ... look at Derby, Wednesday, Villa (do we all expect Barnsley to now go on and secure promotion and top tier stability???).

I''m looking at the bigger picture now as a Norwich fan and taking a weird sort of enjoyment in watching a new journey take its very shaky first steps.

In this day and age, for a club with so little debt, no interested investment is a farce.

It means ncfc got their criteria completely wrong, should learn from those failures and re-scope the request.

There are always potential investors in football clubs. Another failure of the Board

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]If Farke was having a more successful start would the calls for Delia''s head be so loud? Probably not. [/quote]

The suggestions that it is time for her to go began long before this season and even Farke and Webber. Just look at the reaction to THAT interview in the press when she said she is not selling.

The Gaurdian interview was the final straw for many fans including myself

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]If Farke was having a more successful start would the calls for Delia''s head be so loud? Probably not. People are prone to grasp at simple solutions and easy fixes in tough times and that''s understandable.

Selling out entirely to a foreign billionaire hasn''t worked for every club that has done it ... look at how miserable Blackburn fans have been for years.

Arguably, the board deserve praise for trying something new with Webber and if they are guilty of anything it was not being honest enough about how long it would take to bed in a club philosophy with dwindling tv revenue and a squad that we can''t afford to pay. Saying that we were still targeting promotion was always bonkers in my eyes and misleading.

The way I see it is as follows ... the rollercoaster ride that Lambert triggered 9 seasons ago has ended. This is the spluttering start of something new. It''s going to get bumpy. Strap yourself in. We''re building a soul that will avoid us being vulnerable to having decent managers poached and ineffective managers kept on because a replacement will demand a squad overhaul and may not have a magic wand either.

In my opinion the last few years have proven that our pre Webber model couldn''t sustain Prem football. We were over reliant on a manager with a midas touch. To get up and stay up we need to either shed loads of money (Wolves) or a grow a philosophy (Burnley / Huddersfield). The latter way is something to be more proud of, avoids the risk of replicating Pompey / Forest / Blackburn but requires patience! New investment doesn''t mean likely promotion ... look at Derby, Wednesday, Villa (do we all expect Barnsley to now go on and secure promotion and top tier stability???).

I''m looking at the bigger picture now as a Norwich fan and taking a weird sort of enjoyment in watching a new journey take its very shaky first steps.[/quote]

All going to end in tears for you. Modern football is not being followed at Norwich City and the only league they will be moving to in the next 2 years is league one. You need finances just to get mid table in the champs now, there are more clubs than blackburn.

It would be churlish to not acknowledge that under the current owners we''ve had some great times.

The 01/02 and 03/04 seasons under Worthy. The Lambert years. The Wembley trip under Neil. All excellent and enjoyable seasons.

However what they''ve done in the past doesn''t excuse the lack of vision for the future. The new self funding system is in place not because it is best for the club but because it is the best way for them to continue ownership and pass it on to Tom.

The rejection of the money driven way of modern football is ideologically admiral but practically ridiculous.

“However what they''ve done in the past doesn''t excuse the lack of vision for the future. The new self funding system is in place not because it is best for the club but because it is the best way for them to continue ownership and pass it on to Tom”

That’s the way I see it and IMO that’s whats coming through with the Delia Out chanting last night. Don’t get me wrong, if we had been doing well or at least looking like we cared and had some idea of what we were doing on the field we would never have heard that. But I do feel there has been an undercurrent of frustration within the fan base for some time which started to surface again last night.

Most fans, indeed all fans with any common sense will surely be greatful for what she has done,but all good things come to an end. The Times article, the self funding model, the wish to pass our club on like some sort of heirloom, all these things have chipped away at the esteem with which Delia is regarded and each in its own way has started to tarnish her reputation in the eyes of many fans, to a greater or lessor extent. To me it is like having a manager who has been successful with the club, but then tried to hang on for too long after he is no longer able to take the club forward. It’s sad, it’s very sad to hear Delia out chants but before very long I fear I may be joining in.

When you look at the situation as a whole, in 21 years we have had some good seasons admittedly, but there is and simply never has been any clue how to push on or any vision for the club. It is just a myriad of failed experiments.

I think what I find most embarrassing in Delia''s time here is the fact that we feel we don''t have and never have tried to establish our own unique identity - we have to copy everyone else. Remember how many years we had to put up with hearing Smith, Jones and Munby bang on about "the Charlton model"? That one worked out so well. Then we have clearly tried to copy Huddersfield''s set up because it worked for them, sheer naivety to think that it would work for us. On top of that, we have now gone for the "director of football" route (different title but essentially that is what it is) Well in the summer of 1998 Delia was very happy and smug to announce that we were doing things differently by appointing a manager and a DOF, so that the DOF can take care of all the recruitment, admin etc and the manager can get on with his job of managing the football side - where was the faith in that set up? Rioch leaves less than 2 years later and the set up was never approached again until recently, so why have they revisited a set up that failed in the past? Again, we never learn from our mistakes.

I realise I am going back a bit there but this is the point - we have owners who are clueless and always want to copy other clubs rather than trying to make their own way. I''m embarrassed that the club have never pushed on when given the most brilliant opportunity to - we have squandered our chance because of mismanagement at the top - 5 seasons we have been in the top league in the past 21 years. And what have we got to show for it? F**k all.

I am reflecting on happier times at the moment and remembering the Lambert years.

Am I the only person who doesn''t know the full or real reason why he left and what the argument was and with who.

To be honest, in the current climate, I would love to see him and Culverhouse back here. Just for the refreshing, no fear football we played.

Keelansgrandad,

I always reflect on those 3 years under Lambert and get particularly nostalgic, as it also coincided with a very happy 3 years for me personally, so everything around that time was extremely good. By far the best times I''ve experienced of supporting Norwich so far in 23 years of following, and I would love to see Lambert come back but at the same time, I remember the euphoria when Walker returned in 1996 and the levels of expectation but it didn''t happen and I fear it could be a similar disappointment if PL returned. Everything just seemed to click between 2009-12!

It does seem like the Villa experience broke Lambert. It''s a real shame as I thought he''d be a future Champions League manager based on what I saw from him.

Delia has put lot of her personal money into the club to keep it going. A lot of supporters think we should just spend spend. They think its just like being a football manager on the internet football games. What happens when it goes wrong ?., With internet game we can just walk away from it. However in real life someone has to pay. Why is the world/people so much in debt ?, because everone want’s it today. A lot of supporters are happy to spend more than we have, which is great as it’s someone’s else money. The cub has to live within its means. A lot of people want success today, happy to buy it with others peoples money, nobody want to wait and earn that success. If another club have it, then we must have it regardless of cost. With this attitude, little wonder why so many countries/people are in debt today.

[quote user="Dr Greenthumb"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]If Farke was having a more successful start would the calls for Delia''s head be so loud? Probably not. People are prone to grasp at simple solutions and easy fixes in tough times and that''s understandable.

I''m looking at the bigger picture now as a Norwich fan and taking a weird sort of enjoyment in watching a new journey take its very shaky first steps.[/quote]

All going to end in tears for you. Modern football is not being followed at Norwich City and the only league they will be moving to in the next 2 years is league one. You need finances just to get mid table in the champs now, there are more clubs than blackburn.[/quote]

I hope you''re wrong!

I still believe that a united and confident team with round pegs in round holes can trump eleven individuals on huge wages and that''s the model we are trying to implement.

That''s not how it is for me slugs.

Whilst it would be nice (and necessary in the modern game) to have a pot of money, I feel more aggrieved at the repetition of mistakes at board level. The lack of vision for this club of ours. The apparent disregard of any approaches that don''t fit with their agenda. These are the things I''m tired of. I don''t expect overnight success, in fact I love the idea of building something from the foundations up (with or without a pot of gold) that serves us well into the future, but that''s the point, they don''t seem capable of doing that.

But regarding what she''s done? Yes she has put finance in, but I''m not going to hold her up as some kind of saint for that because 1) she chose to, and 2) that is a requirement of modern football. There''s no way out of that one. Any major shareholder of any football club up and down the country has done similar I suppose.

More to the point. In life, almost everything has a shelf life. I believe delia and michaels is fast approaching if it hasn''t already. I would like them to acknowledge that they ought to move on with thanks and heads head high, knowing they have retained respect of the club and it''s people (us). What I don''t want to see is a repeat of the hounding that chase endured and for to all end in tears.

The time has come, in my opinion to wish each other well and look to the future.

Couldn’t agree more coney. Unfortunately I believe they are too stubborn to see it that way

Sorry I''m in a time lapse bubble with Delia, MWJ and our ED

Are City not playing or doing well this season????