Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Sacking Webber would be crazy

I don''t think this will be a popular opinion but...

We''ve invested an awful lot in Webber. He''s not just come in to sign players but to overhaul the culture of the club as a whole.

Getting rid of him probably means getting rid of the entire scouting, medical and academy teams that we''ve just recruited, at a huge cost and then having to refill those positions. It also means probably another change of system of philosophy.

I think it is becoming clear he''s whiffed on Farke and that needs to be rectified. But he''s also working with severe budgetary restraints and has been asked to rebuild the squad on a shoestring. I believe some of the players he''s bought have the potential to be much better than we''re seeing right now (Watkins, Vrancic, Hanley particularly) and a new manager can at least test that theory.

No it wouldn’t. He’s more culpable than Farke.

Wasted £2.5 million on Franke, so don’t give him an excuse with tight finances.

He’s bought players not cut out for this league, and not what we needed. That’s why we are where we are now. Which for clarity, is sliding towards league one.

It wouldn’t be crazy, it would be the best thing for us

Go back to a proper set up instead of this nonsense

One man in charge for when it inevitably goes wrong, and a far bigger pool of potential replacements, instead of finding someone who’ll work under smug Stu.

I donthink know if webber is good in this field or not......but he could retain some credibility by admitting he''s got the farke appointment badly wrong and appointing a manager who knows what he''s doing in the championship

Have to say that whilst it would be a financial nightmare to get rid of Webber and all his associated staff he has recruited now, it will be a hell of a lot harder to find any credible manager who would be willing to work under this set up. You hear it time and time again - the manager wants to be in charge of everything and have control.

I don''t buy the idea it prevents us from hiring a credible manager. Most of the top clubs have sporting directors and they don''t have issues hiring managers.

I imagine it might put off a few of the more old school British coaches but I''m not bothered by that.

Really? what if he''s making a huge mess, unchecked? he could be making a irreversible pigs ear of it top to bottom. We really have two visible things to judge him on currently as fans, transfers and management recruitment, have either of those been successful so far? There needs to be some glimmers of hope in amongst what we are currently seeing to suggest to me that he''s not just another bad choice.

@lincoln

Tight finances aren''t an excuse though are they? The figures are there in black and white. We overhauled half the squad for about £8m (despite selling £17m worth of players) while massively trimming the the wage budget.

Sure Franke has been a poor signing but nobody has a 100% hit rate. To blow the whole think up after less than 6 months would be madness.

@yellowbeagle

A director of football is much more about playing the long game though. If we get rid of Farke and bring in someone else they may get more from the players we''ve bought in.

It is impossible to judge what he''s doing after 6 months in the job.

Webber does not pick the side. He does not train or coach the players, but he picks the Head Coach! And yes he has the power to dismiss that coach too. He will pull the trigger soon if only to save himself!

[quote user="king canary"]@yellowbeagle

A director of football is much more about playing the long game though. If we get rid of Farke and bring in someone else they may get more from the players we''ve bought in.

It is impossible to judge what he''s doing after 6 months in the job.[/quote]

I agree totally, but the fan base have to have confidence that what he is doing long term is going to be a big improvement. Short term there needs to be some visible evidence he knows what he''s doing, to give faith that long term which will ultimately have a much bigger far reaching consequence to the club is in the right hands. He''s the guy holding the clubs future in his hands i''d personally like to see some sign of green shoots that he''s not just some sort of chancer.

Agree with all of that. We need to see something but I think it would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater if we fired him.

So far he''s done a great job of highlighting mistakes of the past and telling us it''ll take a while to sort out.

But there''s not a lot to inspire confidence and there are already some pretty big mistakes that sit with him.

When we had lots of money we wasted it. And now he has wasted a significant amount of the little money we had left.

Not really sure what to make of Webber yet. He talks an impressive game but it''s really difficult to see what progress has been made even IF you ignore the poor form and horrendous results. He''s been quite astute in building his own empire around him making it difficult for the club to sack him, but he ruffled a few feathers at the AGM and I like that.Farke, seems a nice guy, but out of his depth and will go long before Webber and soon if things don''t pick up.

[quote user="king canary"]@lincoln

Tight finances aren''t an excuse though are they? The figures are there in black and white. We overhauled half the squad for about £8m (despite selling £17m worth of players) while massively trimming the the wage budget.

Sure Franke has been a poor signing but nobody has a 100% hit rate. To blow the whole think up after less than 6 months would be madness.[/quote]Absolutely right - I was never in favour of the DoF approach unlike most people on here who seem to have conveniently forgotten that they thought it was a cracking move at the time.But we went for it, and recruited someone who was universally welcomed as a good appointment in the full knowledge that it was the start point of a long term plan to completely reshape and rebuild the club.Whether it will ultimately be successful is impossible to say but to throw it all up in the air and start again after less than half a season would be total stupidity.

It''s not even worth considering this!

The board put all their eggs in this basket and for it to work it needs a lot of time and patience. This is a rebuild not a quick fix. Short term pain and frustration is arguably inevitable ... look at Huddersfield.

Webber ain''t going anywhere for 5 years at the least.

Im getting sick of hearing the Huddersfield comparison, completely different situations where the only constant is this fraud. Yes it would be crazy to sack him as the club couldn’t afford it. But he is making an absolute pigs ear of the job, after having the arrogance to slag off what had happened before.

[quote user="JF"]Im getting sick of hearing the Huddersfield comparison, completely different situations where the only constant is this fraud. Yes it would be crazy to sack him as the club couldn’t afford it. But he is making an absolute pigs ear of the job, after having the arrogance to slag off what had happened before.[/quote]So ''completely different situations'' as in actually pretty similar, and I think you''re going to keep hearing the comparison because what NCFC were clearly trying to do was emulate the proven success of the ''fraud''.''having the arrogance to slag off what had happened before'' - that''s the best bit!! He probably didn''t realise that was the Pinkun posters'' job.

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"][quote user="king canary"]@lincoln

Sure Franke has been a poor signing but nobody has a 100% hit rate. To blow the whole think up after less than 6 months would be madness.[/quote]Absolutely right - I was never in favour of the DoF approach unlike most people on here who seem to have conveniently forgotten that they thought it was a cracking move at the time.But we went for it, and recruited someone who was universally welcomed as a good appointment in the full knowledge that it was the start point of a long term plan to completely reshape and rebuild the club.Whether it will ultimately be successful is impossible to say but to throw it all up in the air and start again after less than half a season would be total stupidity.[/quote]

Unless of course your heading for league one, and can still do something to alter that fate?

We wait too long to take tough decisions. And we always pay the price for it.

The reality is, bar Lambert, this board has never ever got it right. And it was only because of McNally we got it right then. Tough and decisive decision maker.

The whole club is a soft touch. Starting at the top, it radiates through the club to the players.

We need more respectful and authoritative leaders from the top downwards.

For me, I see players such as Oliveria not playing for the manger. Other players such as Klose have little motivation to play, Pinto and Pritchard look throughly p’ssed off with the dross around them.

I think most players are confused by Farkes tactics, and most have little or no respect for Webber.

The whole squad looks disjointed, it’s appears split in to many different factions, and the only ones the players are playing for is themselves individually.

Webber and Co have well and truely messed this one up.

It was more Wagner than Webber.

How the Board could risk the business on Webber’s unproven spin is pathetic.

Delia, Webber, Farke - a huge bad joke.

Webber is the football equivalent of a one hit wonder pop star.He won''t repeat his success here or anywhere else because he got lucky at Huddersfield where everything clicked into place at the same time.Give him a different set of circumstances (manager, players, expectations etc) and he''s lost - same philosophy but completely different result.And if he''s as good as he thinks he is he will sack Farke because deep down he must realize that he''s messed up this time.

[quote user="FCC"]It was more Wagner than Webber.

How the Board could risk the business on Webber’s unproven spin is pathetic. [/quote]It would be if that was even remotely true, but Webber appointed Wagner and was responsible for the recruitment which resulted in Huddersfield, against everybody''s expectations, getting promoted in his second year in the job.So what our board actually did what recruit someone with a track record of success at another underperforming Championship club - seems like a pretty sensible thing to do given that everyone here was complaining about us underperforming under the previous manager.

I’d hardly call one season having a track record of success. Webber also didn’t have full control at Huddersfield like he has here. At the end of the day it’s s results driven business and he’s performing cluelessly. If results stay the same we will be 8 points above the relegation places after today. The comparisons towards Huddersfield are nonsense, used as an arguement as there is nothing else positive that can be used since he’s been here

Perhaps we need a director of directors of football, to provide continuity through constantly changing directors of football, and if we''re still shite we can sack him as well.Is there any problem Norwich fans don''t want to solve by sacking someone?

If we sack Webber and Farke do they take the tea lady and the Trainee Sausage Roll warmer upper with them

Wagner appears to be managing ok without Webber, they recruited well in the summer and binned off the Academy.

Meanwhile, Webber identified a £2.5 million bargain we have had to pack off back to Germany, and the only coach who would work for him.

Sack Webber and he won’t get a sniff of a similar post anywhere else. If he was half as good as he claims to be we would be unbeaten Champions by Christmas.