Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

433, Harry Kane & Merry Xmas one and all

Watching Harry Kane made me think about the way our strikers play. He''s got two goals now by simply being where he should be, and on the end of the good work by the supporting players.

So simple when you look at it, yet we struggle to play this way and have done for some time.

How many times do we see Oliveira or Jerome out on the flanks or dropping deep, only for the ball to eventually find its way wide and into the box, where a striker is nowhere to be found. Said ball in is invariably a poor one too.

It''s basic tactics and gameplans. You have your supporting attacking players, Maddison, Pritchard etc., and there job is to manoeuvre the ball close enough to the goalmouth to enable a shot on goal from the striker. When the striker is part of that supporting cast, the gameplan falls down.

We seem to struggle with this concept and I don''t know why.

This leads me to my second point and switching to 433 with Tettey flanked by Reed and Trybull and Oliveira accompanied by Maddison and Alex.

Our wingers have been woeful this season, Murphy, Watkins and Wildschut so why do we continue with the tactics of two wide men.

It limits Wes or Pritchard when they play wide, and the aforementioned 3 have done absolutely nothing when they have played, save for a few early goals from Murphy.

A front 3 with Oliveira staying central and Alex and Maddison doing what they do best, shooting, passing and crossing, to me represents our best chance of getting goals.

Maddison looking up only to see Oliveira wide, and Murphy and Watkins horizontal to him, does not.

Add in Tettey, Reed and Trybull and I think that formation is our best chance of keeping a clean sheet and getting a couple of goals.

Games online today apparently so check your chosen streams.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.

Further to this, Reed and Trybull can double up with Pinto and Stiepermann when defending, and can cover when the fullbacks push on in attack, and Tettey will sit centrally if we get hit on the break.

Makes sense to me, I should be a manager.

Lakey mentioned this formation on another thread and it does look interesting.A 4-3-3 or a similar 4-2-1-3, with the 1 (Vrancic?) being a link between the forward and defensive mids.