Sign in to follow this  
Irn Bru Canary

Rod Liddle in the Sunday Times

The thing is Badger that many of the fans that fans who are getting irate and angry are doing so because they care about the future of the club just as much as those who want to "enjoy the game in peace" so you are extremely unlikely to get your wish.

In my experience it is the fans who are apathetic about how things are who are less likely to renew.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]The thing is Badger that many of the fans that fans who are getting irate and angry are doing so because they care about the future of the club just as much as those who want to "enjoy the game in peace" so you are extremely unlikely to get your wish.

In my experience it is the fans who are apathetic about how things are who are less likely to renew.[/quote]I don''t think it is a question of wanting to "enjoy the game in peace" more a question of support the team rather than damaging the confidence of players. If they really cared about the club it is difficult to see why they would endeavour to damage its prospects.My experience is different to yours - it''s those that can''t stand the fact that we are not always successful who are those that are most likely to drop out.

So at half time on Friday the fans should have cheered the team off and said ‘never mind chaps, we are only 2-0 down at home!’?

Did you think booing them off damaged their confidence? Or do you think it was completely shot by being 2-0 down in the first place?

As for ‘if they really cared about the club it is difficult to see why they would endeavour to damage its prospects’ - now I’m sure there are those that would like to ask that exact question if the Board...

Why is it so hard for some people to understand:

- Liddle is a Millwall fan

- We came to Millwall, played badly and lost 4-0

- Liddle heard Norwich fans singing "Delia out"

- His view is that she is an owner who is good for the club, so writes an article to that point

Instead, we get conspiracy theories and suggestions that Marcus Evans is a better owner. Goes to show the state of the atmosphere on here ATM.

Personally, the phrase I took from it was "Be careful what you wish for".

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]So at half time on Friday the fans should have cheered the team off and said ‘never mind chaps, we are only 2-0 down at home!’?

No.Did you think booing them off damaged their confidence? Or do you think it was completely shot by being 2-0 down in the first place?I don''t see how it helped - perhaps you can explain?As for ‘if they really cared about the club it is difficult to see why they would endeavour to damage its prospects’ - now I’m sure there are those that would like to ask that exact question if the Board...I''m not sure what you mean here?[/quote]

So what were you expecting?

I didn’t say it did help. But what exactly did you expect football fans to do? Do you honestly think it affected the players that much?

As for the last part, well it’s self explanatory. You could quite easily ask the same question of the board. You can easily argue lack of investment, and ridiculous investor requirements, will damage the clubs prospects, especially in short to mid-term.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]So what were you expecting?

I didn’t say it did help. But what exactly did you expect football fans to do? I would hope that football supporters would support their team - try to lift them. At least, try not to make things worse.Do you honestly think it affected the players that much?

It is very well documented that it affects some players - particularly younger, less-experienced ones. For example, Iwan Roberts spoke about the effect in his book.As for the last part, well it’s self explanatory. You could quite easily ask the same question of the board. You can easily argue lack of investment, and ridiculous investor requirements, will damage the clubs prospects, especially in short to mid-term.I''m not sure of what the ridiculous investor requirements are - could you elucidate? + You could even more easily argue that the wrong type of investment could damage the club''s prospects in the long term.

[/quote]

But you said previously you wouldn’t expect them to be cheered off? So what then?

At 2-0 down at home I’m sure they were fully expecting it. They are professional footballers after all. Are they that precious they can’t take the flak?

Ok, well Moxey said they are happy for investment, but know that anybody that invests want control, and that’s something the Board didn’t want. Delia/Michael have said they will not sell. Balls has said the door isn’t closed to investment. Michael has said he will not sell to ‘foreigners’. So what is it? Somebody from Norfolk happy to gift the club hundreds of millions of pounds without having any say or control or expect anything in return for investment? Because we know that won’t happen, that sort of investor simply does not exist. And listen to Webber/Farke - lack of funds is already becoming an issue

I don''t really get how booing the team off on Friday was because of frustration with the board. It was surely because we were losing and playing rubbish. The performance and score were booed. Everything else was the same today and I heard no boos except from Brum fans. Who were booing their own performance and score. Whether some will claim later they were booing their super rich Chinese owners remains to be seen.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]But you said previously you wouldn’t expect them to be cheered off? So what then?

At 2-0 down at home I’m sure they were fully expecting it. They are professional footballers after all. Are they that precious they can’t take the flak?

Ok, well Moxey said they are happy for investment, but know that anybody that invests want control, and that’s something the Board didn’t want. Delia/Michael have said they will not sell. Balls has said the door isn’t closed to investment. Michael has said he will not sell to ‘foreigners’. So what is it? Somebody from Norfolk happy to gift the club hundreds of millions of pounds without having any say or control or expect anything in return for investment? Because we know that won’t happen, that sort of investor simply does not exist. And listen to Webber/Farke - lack of funds is already becoming an issue[/quote]I''m not any clearer about "ridiculous investor requirements" but to be fair on you, this is hardly your fault - what has been said is muddled, not really an investment blueprint. It was reported that they were seeking investors a few years ago but nothing came of it - presumably because there were none or none that the board perceived of as "suitable."When you look at some of the investors that have bought clubs this caution is very sensible.

Well that depends. Investors can mean taking over/buying Delia out, or pumping money in whilst keeping the status quo on the board.

It seems we will happily welcome the latter, while admitting that that person doesn’t exist, and we simply will not entertain the former.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I don''t really get how booing the team off on Friday was because of frustration with the board. It was surely because we were losing and playing rubbish. The performance and score were booed. Everything else was the same today and I heard no boos except from Brum fans. Who were booing their own performance and score. Whether some will claim later they were booing their super rich Chinese owners remains to be seen.[/quote]Be interesting to see what happens at Birmingham, who are quite a good example of a club that has been bought by "investors." Sullivan did ok and sold on to Carson Yeung, who took the club into receivership whilst being jailed for money laundering. The new owners can hardly been seen as a great success!The club warned that its losses “indicate the

existence of a material uncertainty which may cast significant doubt

about the club’s ability to continue as a going concern
” and it will be

dependent on securing future funding from its Hong Kong-based parent

company, Birmingham Sports Holdings (BSHL). https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/2017/12/18/birmingham-city-losses-more-than-tripled-in-financial-year/
I know that some clubs have done OK from investors but there are plenty who have found that it is not the universal panacea that some on here seem to think it is.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 26/12/2017 6:16 PM:

I don''t really get how booing the team off on Friday was because of frustration with the board. It was surely because we were losing and playing rubbish. The performance and score were booed.

And the ''Delia out'' and ''sack the board chants'' on Friday weren''t directed at her/ the board either?

[quote user="Greavsy"]nutty nigel wrote the following post at 26/12/2017 6:16 PM:

I don''t really get how booing the team off on Friday was because of frustration with the board. It was surely because we were losing and playing rubbish. The performance and score were booed.

And the ''Delia out'' and ''sack the board chants'' on Friday weren''t directed at her/ the board either?[/quote]
I didn''t think so but if you want to believe that then it''s your choice Greavsy.
Happy Christmas.

In sure you''ll slant it how it suits as always.

Happy new year would be more appropriate, and looking forward, rather than looking back, as per.

My post was as clear as clear can be. Booing the team off. If you want to believe the chants of Delia Out and Sack The Board were directed at the players then that''s fine by me.
I guess this thread will now fall apart. 
Happy New Year.
[quote user="nutty nigel"]I don''t really get how booing the team off on Friday was because of frustration with the board. It was surely because we were losing and playing rubbish. The performance and score were booed. Everything else was the same today and I heard no boos except from Brum fans. Who were booing their own performance and score. Whether some will claim later they were booing their super rich Chinese owners remains to be seen.[/quote]

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 26/12/2017 7:01 PM:

My post was as clear as clear can be. Booing the team off. If you want to believe the chants of Delia Out and Sack The Board were directed at the players then that''s fine by me.

I guess this thread will now fall apart.

Happy New Year.

Where did I say that it was directed at the players? It was a genuine question, which yet again you''ve spun and failed to answer.

Please quote as usual.

[quote user="Greavsy"]And the ''Delia out'' and ''sack the board chants'' on Friday weren''t directed at her/ the board either?[/quote]

Yep, it''s a rhetorical question.

No where does it mention the players, or anything being directed at them. But 10/10 for effort.

Before this thread fails, as you put it earlier, in your usual pre-emptive gun loading deflective approach I''ll leave you to it.

[quote user="Greavsy"]Yep, it''s a rhetorical question.

No where does it mention the players, or anything being directed at them. But 10/10 for effort.

Before this thread fails, as you put it earlier, in your usual pre-emptive gun loading deflective approach I''ll leave you to it.[/quote]
Good. Now that''s over I''ll repost the original without the rhetorical addition.
[quote user="nutty nigel"]I don''t really get how booing the team off on Friday was because of frustration with the board. It was surely because we were losing and playing rubbish. The performance and score were booed. Everything else was the same today and I heard no boos except from Brum fans. Who were booing their own performance and score. Whether some will claim later they were booing their super rich Chinese owners remains to be seen.[/quote]

[quote user="Miss Demeanor"]And here we go, The Edwards Mafia! Nutty your wrong, just admit it and move on! Jeez, you are becoming Morty reinvented![/quote]
Are you saying the team weren''t booed off because of performance and score? The other point was added by Greavsy. It was also right but not the reason the team and players were booed off. It was covered in my observation that the team weren''t booed off today. I think I''ll open a new account and get stuck into people on here...