Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Return of Tettey/Trybull?

Sounds like it to me:

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2017/december/farke-birmingham-preview/

Thinking about the last game (!), as many have commented there is a problem with playing Pritchard & Maddison together. Having said that, it''s likely that their lack of game time together has caused the poor communication, getting in each other''s way etc.

I''m still convinced two such quality players can find a way to play together. One worth persevering with I think.

As I said on a previous thread, it''s time to revert to the defence that was very successful until this recent appalling run. I also want to see Jerome restored as a target man to take pressure off of the defence and the underperforming Oliveira restored to super-sub, where he is best suited. All is not lost if we do this, and surely Farke can see where our current failings lie.   

Agree with the above posts - would even keep Reed in with a slightly more forward role and allowing Maddison and Pritchard to roam free.                   GunnPinto Zimmermann Klose Lewis           Tettey    Trybull                   Reed        Maddison    Pritchard                   Jerome

Oliveira was better than any of Maddison/Pritchard/Watkins against Brentford. He worked harder, caused Brentford more problems and scored a very good goal.

That''s not to say he was at his very best but he deserves to keep his place.

As for Tettey and Trybull, Farke''s decision to have not already restored at least one of them to the team is a very questionable.

GJP, he ran around a lot, but that''s about it - Cameron does that sort of job much better. When it came to being an effective goal threat he was very poor.

When it was too late to matter. Whenever it mattered his control & decision making was awful.

He is a good player, so I don''t know why that is. However, the fact he doesn''t last long anywhere is, I suspect, significant.

It wasn''t awful at all. The worst decision of them all came from Pritchard taking on a shot from a tight angle when the cut back was on for likely a tap in. Oliveira would have been heavily criticised for that. Pritch wasn''t.

Not what I saw. I saw a player who was faking it - looking as if he was trying, rushing around a lot, but doing nothing useful when he got there.

I don''t know why that is. He''s proved he can be seriously good at this level. But he''s stopped doing it.

Quite a few really. For different reasons, & mostly I think because they''d lost any idea of what they were supposed to do.

He didn''t start, but Josh is one of the worst offenders. He''s lost all confidence, so makes only half-hearted attempts at beating a man, tackling back etc.

It''s up to the coach to sort it out.

Indeed. I thought there were worse offenders than Oliveira for not really putting their all into it.

If we were going to drop Oliviera it should have been a couple games ago. But he was alright on Saturday. Although interesting to see even Pinto having a bit of a go at him at various stages. Although Pinto was dreadful himself so didnt have much of an argument.

Players trying too hard - Pinto in particular I think and over cooking it too often.  Oliveira looked to me like he was trying hard, but not getting anywhere.  Vrancic''s effort onto the bar he would normally have got too imo - there is just a little too much desperation to succeed that it is making it harder for us.  But then that effort has to be put in.  Hopefully they will be a little more focussed and a little less frantic away from home.   

[quote user="GJP"]Oliveira was better than any of Maddison/Pritchard/Watkins against Brentford. He worked harder, caused Brentford more problems and scored a very good goal.

That''s not to say he was at his very best but he deserves to keep his place.[/quote]Well, Dean Ashton reckoned he should have been subbed at half-time as he was so poor.  Jerome would add more to team play and work ethic as a target man and defender in set piece situations, as he has proven in the unbeaten run, and should start the next game if fit.

[quote user="GJP"]He was our only threat and scored a good goal.[/quote]Which he can do as a sub in the last few minutes. His overall game play is poor.

Olivieira is simply more dangerous in the final third. And when the rest of the team carries little threat you need something to worry defenders.

I''ve always been a big fan of Jerome but it''s been a long time since he looked dangerous.

Compare that to Brentford who had 3 or 4 lads causing us problems in the final third.

[quote user="GJP"]Olivieira is simply more dangerous in the final third. And when the rest of the team carries little threat you need something to worry defenders.

I''ve always been a big fan of Jerome but it''s been a long time since he looked dangerous.

Compare that to Brentford who had 3 or 4 lads causing us problems in the final third.[/quote]The whole team would carry more threat with Jerome as a target man as he would bring others into play.  Oliveira is perhaps more dangerous but is a lone wolf and seems to play for himself, while we need to consider who is more beneficial to team play as we urgently need to start winning games again.  

Is that true though? Jerome''s touch and awareness isn''t as good as Oliveira''s.

I would suggest the bigger problem is the players in support of Oliveira.

[quote user="GJP"]Is that true though? Jerome''s touch and awareness isn''t as good as Oliveira''s.

I would suggest the bigger problem is the players in support of Oliveira.[/quote]For success, a team needs to be greater than the sum of its parts.  Jerome creates that scenario as he is a team-player and brings others into play as a target man. Oliveira is not a target man so can not do that, and actually lowers the sum of the parts by taking Jerome''s place.

The style of football we are trying to play is to keep possession in order to deny the opposition the ball to stop them scoring and at the same time create a limited number of chances to score. For that to succeed you need a clinical finisher and that Jerome has never been.

For Farke to play Jerome would mean a major change in philosophy which unfortunately looks unlikely.

[quote user="paul moy"]The whole team would carry more threat with Jerome as a target man as he would bring others into play.  Oliveira is perhaps more dangerous but is a lone wolf and seems to play for himself, while we need to consider who is more beneficial to team play as we urgently need to start winning games again.   [/quote]Exactly - Nelson on his game carries a real threat but when he''s not, and he''s nowhere near at the minute, he contributes nothing at all. Not sure if he''s actually fit but if he is I would definitely have Cam starting on Boxing Day - felt sure he would start against Brentford until I found out he was injured.Tettey is also an absolute must - really baffled as to why he didn''t start against Brentford. Hopefully Farke will have learnt from his mistake, although that he really should have already learnt that particular lesson from earlier in the season.

It rather looks as though Farke will be going all-out for three 0-0 draws, which no doubt will be deemed three excellent results.

Are Norwich the only Championship side to have just two strikers in their squad? I use the word ‘strikers’ loosely, as both players appear pretty clueless when it comes to knocking a football into the net.

lake district canary wrote the following post at 24/12/2017 2:12 PM:

Players trying too hard - Pinto in particular I think and over cooking it too often. Oliveira looked to me like he was trying hard, but not getting anywhere. Vrancic''s effort onto the bar he would normally have got too imo - there is just a little too much desperation to succeed that it is making it harder for us

This is so often the way with a team that’s struggling for form.

As for Oliveria, at the moment he is spending far too much time chasing the ball when out of possession. I admire his effort but he needs to be using his energy more productively and in particular well timed runs and working when we do actually have possession.

There is not a problem playing Maddison and Pritchard together but there is a problem playing them together with Reed and Vrancic behind. Way too lightweight and very predictable exposed by Brentford.

Our good run had Tettey and Trybull at CM for most of it and Zimm and Klose at CB. Most of the best results also had Wildshutt on the wing.

Quite why 4 of these players are not in the side again whilst all fit is baffling. He needs to return to these combos that worked earlier in the season and Wildshutt to give us some pace and directness.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Agree with the above posts - would even keep Reed in with a slightly more forward role and allowing Maddison and Pritchard to roam free.                   GunnPinto Zimmermann Klose Lewis           Tettey    Trybull                   Reed        Maddison    Pritchard                   Jerome[/quote]Mainly the same for me, but I''d have Vrancic for Reed - more likely to see and make a decisive pass + Nelson for Jerome.

I''d be tempted to give Maddison a rest a Birmingham and maybe reed.

I''d try no get back to basics and give us an ability to counterattack.

Therefore if Hanley fit...

Gunn

Pinto Hanley klose Lewis

Wildshut trybull Tettey vrancic/stipermann

Pritchard

Oliveria

Subs

Zimmerman

Vrancic/Stipermann

Reed

Naismith

Maddison