Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Canary

Scouting Network

Apart from Gunn, Tybull and Zimmerman who I think will be a great player for us over next few years, the rest are a massive disappointment and if anything make the team worse.

- Franke, already heading back to Germany even if he hadn’t quite settled here

- Watkins, makes me shudder anytime he is in the team as offers nothing quite frankly

- Vrancic, our record with him in the team is awful and it is no coincidence. Clearly not a defensive midfielder and doesn’t appear to offer much going forward

- Husband, so weak and fragile at the back it makes you wonder why we signed Middlesbrough’s third choice left back

- Hanley, maybe decent but seemed like a panic buy and for big wages and fee seems a little unnecessary

There''s obviously some dispute in your list and ratings.No football club get them all correct, look at some of the duds Fergie signed for MUFC.As a great manager once said, you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince.

Clubs sign players who they think will fit in, play well and cost want they can afford. Sometimes it works out,sometimes not.mistakes are made by all clubs.norwich have made mistakes but you have to move on from the past,and not dwell on it.

Basically, the only failure so far is Franke, who has had to head back to Germany.
The rest, Watkins has been poor but had a good record at this level last season and hasn''t had a good run in the team (injury and suspension all part of the reason, of course).
Vrancic is a good player but i''d agree he maybe isn''t the first choice in this system.
Husband was playing considerably better before he get injured. He''s an average championship left back. Not a massive disappointment.
Hanley you class as ''maybe decent'' so why you''ve grouped him in your ''massive disappointment'' category is beyond me.

We''ve bought in a bunch of mid table championship players because we have a midtable championship budget at best.

Next season yes, but surely our budget should have been a bit better than a mid table Championship team.

I thought Husband was improving with each game until his injury- I was one of his harshest critics early on as our left was leaking chances so alarmingly, but into the unbeaten run he started to look the part. I think now that Lewis is fit (and gone straight into the starting place, no less) it must surely cast doubt over JH or Stiepermann.Franke is clearly going to be the universal ''dud'' across the fanbase and personally I find the ''get him some games then bring him back in'' rhetoric sounds a bit hackneyed; if it isn''t working for him now, what will an extra half-season back in his home country achieve?My biggest question mark is over Watkins. The way he was described to me was an Elliot Bennett-style tireless winger with a decent goalscoring record at this level, but having watched him a few times now I couldn''t tell you what position actually suits him. He isn''t quite as good as any of our other forward players at the thing they''re good at and most DEFINITELY is not a striker.

@mason

Watkins is the one who makes me question Farke the most. He got 10 goals in 42 games at this level last season yet now looks totally out of his depth.

But kc, why does that male you question farke? He got 10 goals in a side that may have been set up to play to his strengths, which we aren''t. Are you suggesting that because farke doesn''t change the style to fit around Watkins rather than trying to get Watkins to fit into our style he is a poor manager?

I thought now Lewis is fit Steiperman may be an option as a holding midfielder. I think that would be his preferred position.

It is most likely that Watkins was ''signed'' before Farke, given that he came on a ''free'' so would have been targeted and agreed way back, hence him not signing another contract with Barnsley.Remember the two wingers we signed... Hoolahan and Holt.The dreadful keeper.. RuddyIt is more of a measure of where some posters are coming from that they are on here constantly moaningI wonder why

I personally think we are moving in the right direction on recruitment.

Let''s face it we are not going to be able to pay big wages/transfer fees anymore so we are going to have to target youth players, lower league rough diamonds, Players who had promise but for some reason have gone backwards and we think we can get the best out of and lower level European leagues where you get more for your cash but risking them not coming to terms with English football.

With that in mind, I think husband, Stipermann, trybull, raggett, Zimmerman, Watkins all fit the mold as do abrahams, Phillips and fonkeu. I think the centre half position we went for Franke on the basis that we expected klose to move on and we had already let Bennett, bassong, turner go. It hasn''t quite worked yet but we will rather shift klose on (transfer fee, big wages) and give Franke another go.

Let''s hope we really hit the jackpot with a couple of players in Jan.

Given the overhaul that happened in the summer, with a number of key players leaving from the season before in Ruddy, Bennett, Howson, Dorrans, Murphy

AND losing squad players in Rudd, Whittaker, Bassong and Mulumbu.

We managed, on a very limited budget, to build a semi-decent defence with two good signings in Zimmerman and Hanley with Gunn an excellent capture on loan to replace the experienced Ruddy. Franke has been the only disappointment in that department IMO and hopefully his loan will either enable us to sell him or give him time to improve - he''s only 24, can still become good yet.

Husband whilst he started off looking very, very poor has come on leaps and bounds before his injury. He was a cheap, solid Championship quality option so he is what he is. From pre-season the focus was always going to be on Jamal Lewis, and I''ve no doubt he''ll make that position his own now. Therefore, Husband was a decent signing for what he was needed for. He''s also had a few decent late sub appearances as a left winger which gives us another outlet.

To replace Mr Utility in Whittaker we bought in Steipermann who for me has been decent. Filled in well at LB when required and seems to be improving.

To replace Dorrans/Howson we bought in Reed and Trybull, both of which to me have been decent signings.

Vrancic is an odd one. On paper a good footballer but it hasn''t quite worked for him. Clearly promising, but Maddison is the better option here. Wes isn''t getting younger though, so I''m sure he will come good in time.

Watkins - as a replacement for Murphy he certainly hasn''t lived up to expectation but he is a decent player at this level. I''m sure he will be disappointed in his offerings as he looked decent in pre-season.

We have to be realistic and admit the squad has been downgraded. Unfortunately a direct result of not getting back into the Premier League at a first attempt our budget is getting unimaginably squeezed. Therefore, given the budget we had available, I think we actually did very well in the summer to get the best squad together we could (although sadly it hasn''t translated to much success on the pitch).

But there we are, that''s just my opinion of course.

[quote user="AJ"]Given the overhaul that happened in the summer, with a number of key players leaving from the season before in Ruddy, Bennett, Howson, Dorrans, Murphy

AND losing squad players in Rudd, Whittaker, Bassong and Mulumbu.

We managed, on a very limited budget, to build a semi-decent defence with two good signings in Zimmerman and Hanley with Gunn an excellent capture on loan to replace the experienced Ruddy. Franke has been the only disappointment in that department IMO and hopefully his loan will either enable us to sell him or give him time to improve - he''s only 24, can still become good yet.

Husband whilst he started off looking very, very poor has come on leaps and bounds before his injury. He was a cheap, solid Championship quality option so he is what he is. From pre-season the focus was always going to be on Jamal Lewis, and I''ve no doubt he''ll make that position his own now. Therefore, Husband was a decent signing for what he was needed for. He''s also had a few decent late sub appearances as a left winger which gives us another outlet.

To replace Mr Utility in Whittaker we bought in Steipermann who for me has been decent. Filled in well at LB when required and seems to be improving.

To replace Dorrans/Howson we bought in Reed and Trybull, both of which to me have been decent signings.

Vrancic is an odd one. On paper a good footballer but it hasn''t quite worked for him. Clearly promising, but Maddison is the better option here. Wes isn''t getting younger though, so I''m sure he will come good in time.

Watkins - as a replacement for Murphy he certainly hasn''t lived up to expectation but he is a decent player at this level. I''m sure he will be disappointed in his offerings as he looked decent in pre-season.

We have to be realistic and admit the squad has been downgraded. Unfortunately a direct result of not getting back into the Premier League at a first attempt our budget is getting unimaginably squeezed. Therefore, given the budget we had available, I think we actually did very well in the summer to get the best squad together we could (although sadly it hasn''t translated to much success on the pitch).

But there we are, that''s just my opinion of course.[/quote]

I agree with this. Noticeably the early transfer rumours are wingers which suggest wildshut is surplus to requirements. Equally Cameron Jerome, Naismith and martin linked with moves - all sensible exits for me although the centre forward conundrum will gather pace, oh to find a journeyman centreforward called Holt for £400k

With Wildshut, I wonder if he''s nearing some appearance related fee to Wigan or something which we''re looking to avoid.

it looks like Yanic is on 25 appearances (incl subs) so you could have something in that hoggie