Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

The Tettey Issue

As much as Tettey has had his critics over the last few years, we crumble when he is not in the team.

So what on earth is going to happen when he is not here next season?

Is Godfrey a natural replacement, and if so should we get him back in january so we can start to make the change now, ready for next season?

Agreed Rogue, think he did really well today, but let''s get this season over first so we know which league we''re in, obviously it should be the Champs but who knows, could be either one below or one above!

I have to put my hand up and say I didn''t think Tettey deserved his place in the team, and may have been correct in the Prem, but don''t believe he can be left out now.

Obviously he is very under-rated by the manager, which is scary for the future. It''s no major coincidence that our unbeaten run ended when he got injured and now he''s back we start winning again.

Tettey will be a key player for the rest of the season but you have to remember he does have knee problems, so you cannot play him every game. Assuming he does leave this summer we still have Louis Thompson to come back from injury and Ben Godfrey out on loan; both these youngsters can play in that position.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]As much as Tettey has had his critics over the last few years, we crumble when he is not in the team.

Is Godfrey a natural replacement, and if so should we get him back in january so we can start to make the change now, ready for next season?[/quote]

I''m pinning my hopes on Godfrey as well, but it''s a big jump. Also a shame that Lois Thompson got injured when he did as he looked very promising. Ultimately the club should not have gone into this grueling championship season with the only combative, physical true defensive midfielder being a 32 year old with a a dodgy knee in the last year of his contract.

[quote user="paul moy"]Obviously he is very under-rated by the manager, which is scary for the future. It''s no major coincidence that our unbeaten run ended when he got injured and now he''s back we start winning again. [/quote]
But he''s played basically whenever he''s been fit so i''m not sure he''s underrated.
As for when he''s gone, I think Thomson and Godfrey are likely replacements - or we sign someone.

Rogue Baboon wrote the following post at 2017-12-27 1:17 AM:

As much as Tettey has had his critics over the last few years, we crumble when he is not in the team.

Just who has said Tettey won’t be here next season? The club have not stated that they will not offer a new contract! In fact I understand it’s the opposite!?

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="paul moy"]Obviously he is very under-rated by the manager, which is scary for the future. It''s no major coincidence that our unbeaten run ended when he got injured and now he''s back we start winning again. [/quote]
But he''s played basically whenever he''s been fit so i''m not sure he''s underrated.
As for when he''s gone, I think Thomson and Godfrey are likely replacements - or we sign someone.
[/quote]So wasn''t he fit for the previous debacle ?

‘Just who has said Tettey won’t be here next season? The club have not stated that they will not offer a new contract! In fact I understand it’s the opposite!?‘

Because he is out of contract I’m the summer, free to talk to teams abroad next month (I think), has been rumoured to be returning to Norway, has said it’s quite possibly his last season here and is almost certainly one of our highest earners and doesn’t really fit the direction we are going due to age’/wage?

But other than that, yeah it’s outrageous to suggest he won’t be here next year...

Pretty sure Farke had said they''d wait till the summer and discuss the Tettey contract issue then.Depends a lot on how many games he makes in the rest of the season, and if they can agree wage terms.

Tettey will be an example of how our new “Self funding “ model will make life really tough. We prob want to keep him but there will be other championship clubs who will be able to offer him wages which are double or triple what we can offer.

He’s always been a key player for us and at times has been very underrated by some fans.

I do though think Godfrey could step up next season.

Perhaps as we were ''issued'' with Tettey we will be issued with someone else.Otherwise, in his own words "for me to be able to play a couple more years.”That was after retiring from International football last March.Which would suggest that he has another 7 or 8 months left when the new seasons starts next AugustMaybe stretch it to a full season, and hope he doesn''t get injuredWow, that is a club looking to build for the future

Ben Godfrey is very promising and have great spell on loan.

I no doubt if Farke is still here in summer he have in mind Godfrey to back with much games under his belt during this spell and Tettey been injury prone+home sick+bad age 99% will be released imo.

Tetty clearly wasn’t part of Farke’s original plan but when fit only a fool would leave him out of the side given his obvious contribution.I agree with other posters on his possible replacements - if they are contenders we should see if they can make the grade this season. At a guess we will be bidding for his services next year if a deal can be agreed, perhaps on a pay per play basis. Defensive mids get cards and injuries so we should plan more depth in the squad in this area and not just with utility players.

[quote user="Bonzo"]Tetty clearly wasn’t part of Farke’s original plan but when fit only a fool would leave him out of the side given his obvious contribution.I agree with other posters on his possible replacements - if they are contenders we should see if they can make the grade this season. At a guess we will be bidding for his services next year if a deal can be agreed, perhaps on a pay per play basis. Defensive mids get cards and injuries so we should plan more depth in the squad in this area and not just with utility players.[/quote]Given that even he doesn''t expect more than a year I would be surprised if the club will be offering anythingAs pay per play basis2 I''m not too sure what on earth that is, but no player, certainly not his agent. would allow a contract where there was not a regular payment for retaining his registration. As to being paid when he plays that pretty much happens with EVERY contract.

As good as can be there is very little future in Tettey unfortunately, and in Godfrey we have potentially the perfect replacement, a player who will have played a whole season at the business end of League One and impressed many people in so doing, including some Premier League clubs if we can believe what we read. Add to that Thompson if he can come back fully fit there will be options for the manager. Assuming of course Trybull is tied up and stays.

Does anyone know what is happening with Thompson? Looked a good talent but must have been injured for over a year now?