Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Football today

All this talk of having to rest players is complete nonsense .Go back to 1972-73 we had 11 players who more or less played every game that season keelan,Payne,butler,stringer,Forbes,Briggs,Livermore,bone,cross,paddon,and foggo and a few subs cheesley,Howard,Anderson,grapes,govier and rollings were used only when there were injuries .the pitches were heavy going particularly derbys baseball ground ,there was not much undersoil heating.

These players played every week against some tough teams ,people say the game has changed ,no its still 11 men v 11 men with the object of scoring more goals than the opposition.the tackles were harder and none of this throwing yourself on the ground when touched by another player or as I saw the other day chucking yourself over the advertising boards in a attempt to get another player sent off .also these players played as a team because they played together each week not with different players each week .

If I went to work when I worked and said I need a rest as I am tired as I have worked every day this week you can imagine the reaction from the boss .

Back in the 70''s when the quality of football was so great, half of the players turned up drunk, you''d have to be an idiot to compare football now to the rubbish played in mud pits in the 70''s, go wash your dinosaur grandad

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Back in the 70''s when the quality of football was so great, half of the players turned up drunk, you''d have to be an idiot to compare football now to the rubbish played in mud pits in the 70''s, go wash your dinosaur grandad[/quote]This.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]Yes but footballers today are more likely to suffer from back injuries from carrying all those sacks of money to the bank every week.[/quote]They get paid by transfering the money into their or their companies bank account, cash payments went out years ago.

DDD packed ground, great atmosphere,watching charlton. Law,Moore,banks and the rest of the quality teams at the time yes was a hard life .mud pits was part of the fun .

You should try this thing called YouTube, it''s amazing, you can watch videos of all sorts of stuff from the great era and never have to head out in the cold to watch the crap football these days, cup of cocoa and a bag of worthers original 👍