Sign in to follow this  
mighty yellow

Delia turned down an offer of investment c.2011

I don''t know how explosive this is, nor am I testifying to the suitability of the proposed buyer. However, given that I have now heard it stated multiple times that ''we don''t know if Delia has had offers'', I feel this now has relevance,

The person in question is now the majority shareholder of a Championship club. He approached the club and, after doing the necessary groundwork, put together an offer that he felt was fair, or at least a decent starting position. He was invited in to discuss the offer. However, on arriving at the club, he was informed that his offer was to be declined, and was told that they were not prepared to negotiate. It would seem that the club was not for sale, despite noises to the contrary in public.

My source would have worked for Norwich in a senior operational role. He was in the meeting (he actually did the majority of the work on the offer) and I have no reason to doubt a word he has said. The only reason for not naming names is I haven''t spoken with the chap for a while, and at the time I promised discretion.

Wouldn’t surprise me. I’d imagine that it’s one of several offers/enquiries that they have had. The simple fact is that their stance is and has always been that the club isn’t for sale

You don''t have to be Sherlock Holmes to workout you are rehashing the Tony Fernandes now of QPR story. I remember the evening game when David McNally was showing him around the ground in full view of fans who were there an hour or so before KO.

Fernandes, Mittal and Briatore would surely be our dream ticket?

Lakshmi Mittal has more money than just about anyone. Be a hell of a wave to ride to Champions League glory.

Mittal only owns an 11 per cent share in QPR but is worth a frickin fortune. Briatore it appears was only involved up to 2010 from his wiki page and his wealth is a ‘mere’ £200 million, peanuts in modern day football. Fernandez is the majority shareholder but again in football terms his £300 million is pretty poor in comparison to many others

Til - Not trying to rehash anything. Were you aware of the details I specified? Apologies if it is just old news.

Duncan - What exactly is your issue? Did you read the first paragraph? Or just the title and then happen to wet the bed?

Actually I don’t think it is old news. It is well known that Fernandez was shown around the club, but I don’t think that it has ever been said that he made an offer for it. Even Jake Humphrey at the time was trolling him on twitter trying to get him to invest in the club. I and most people just thought he chose QPR over us

City, with £23m worth of debts, are likely to be one of those

interested in talking to the 45-year-old, who is behind the successful

no-frills airline AirAsia, which sponsors referees for all senior

football in England.

"Given the connection between Lotus and Norwich City and

Norfolk and Tony''s love of sport, I''m sure that over the next few months

there will be some conversations with Tony about how we can work

together," said City''s chief executive David McNally.

Chairman Alan Bowkett said: "I''d be very happy to meet Tony

is he wants to talk to me about it. We have a high profile in Malaysia,

which I know Tony manages his airline from, with our former sponsor

Proton.

But none of that says that an offer was actually made. What the OP is saying was that an offer was put on the table. As far as I’m aware that has never been said. Just that their was an interest there with some conversations/meetings

[quote user="mighty yellow"]Til - Not trying to rehash anything. Were you aware of the details I specified? Apologies if it is just old news.

Duncan - What exactly is your issue? Did you read the first paragraph? Or just the title and then happen to wet the bed?[/quote]

Issue? None at all old chap. As Til says though, it’s hardly a revelation that he was “courted” which, to me, begs the question what your motivation is for bringing it up?

I’m sure it’s just that some 6 years after the event you’ve decided that now is the right time to ensure that this “exclusive” is in the public domain.

Thanks for sharing.👍

Til - Thank you for responding, but I think you know that article does not contain the information that I disclosed. I am interested in your opinion on the facts I have stated.

Hucks said the following on Canary Call after the Brentford game:

"...if somebody came in and said I want to push Norwich on, this is my plan, here''s £50m, I think they would take it but, we don''t know if thats happened. Until it does happen, or someone comes out and says they''re doing that, we''re going to be in the same boat."

It has happened. If someone made an offer on your house, assuming it isn''t for sale, would you invite them to your house to decline and say you had no intention of negotiating?

When I sold my first house, a very nice young couple + a friend came to view it & enthused over it, all smiles & knowing looks. It was up for £11,250 (it was a long time ago).

About half an hour after they left I got a phone call from a phone box: "hi, we''re the people who just came to look at your house & would like to make an offer ...... how does £8000 sound?

I put the phone down.

For what it is worth, assuming we are talking about Fernandes, this is my understanding/recollection of what happened. Fernandes, at the time involved with Lotus, was not looking to take over Norwich City (he wanted a London club) but in the wake of the Cullumgate fiasco (Cullum being the fiasco) a campaign was started by fans - some famous, some not - on various social media pushing the idea.This forced the club, which had screwed up the PR over Cullum by seeming not to want to talk to him, into agreeing to meet Fernandes, even though neither party was looking to do a deal. So Fernandes was invited to a home game (midweek, as I recall), and afterwards, to save face on both sides, there was vague PR-guff talk - that predictably came to zilch - from Bowkett and McNally about "synergies", that awful buzzword, between two yellow and green Norfolk sporting icons.But that was all. It was all nonsense, and a salutary lesson in the - sometimes - unwelcome and idiotic power of social media. And as a matter of hard fact Fernandes never made an offer. I don''t believe he ever came remotely as close as Cullum, who at least had the idea of perhaps making an offer, and went as far as outlining a general proposal.

Your opening post was all nudge nudge wink wink no names when as has now been shown the courtship of Fernandes was well documented in the local press mighty yellow. I am struggling to think why you have sat on this for 6 years as Duncan has said. You have not really added anything to substantiate whether it was an enquiry or an offer as you claim. You may well be right but hey to me this thread is hardly a startling revelation without some meat on the bones to move it further along.

If we’re digging up revelations from the past, I was told several years ago that when Roeder got the managers job, Steve Bruce also wanted it. Boooommmm

Purple - "as a matter of hard fact Fernandes never made an offer"

I appreciate you putting some context to it, it explains why he was invited in, but why do you say that so conclusively? I am happy to be proved wrong, I do not have an agenda against the club or Delia, just interested in how you know this to be a fact.

Til - Apologies, I didn''t want to name names initially as I explained. While it might be in the public domain, I do not want to betray someone''s trust. I will contact the chap (it''s been a while) and see if he can give me figures or anything else that would lend credence to my claim. I post sporadically, but I have been on here for a long time and I have no reason to make stuff up.

For what it''s worth, at the time the person who told me this was sure that the club were making the right noises in private, and he was very surprised that they were invited in and then told conclusively no. He described it as a ''good offer'', with proper due diligence done, not just a pie in the sky figure, and he was definitely frustrated that he had put so much time into it when they seemingly had no interest whatsoever.

[quote user="mighty yellow"]Purple - "as a matter of hard fact Fernandes never made an offer"

I appreciate you putting some context to it, it explains why he was invited in, but why do you say that so conclusively? I am happy to be proved wrong, I do not have an agenda against the club or Delia, just interested in how you know this to be a fact.

Til - Apologies, I didn''t want to name names initially as I explained. While it might be in the public domain, I do not want to betray someone''s trust. I will contact the chap (it''s been a while) and see if he can give me figures or anything else that would lend credence to my claim. I post sporadically, but I have been on here for a long time and I have no reason to make stuff up.

For what it''s worth, at the time the person who told me this was sure that the club were making the right noises in private, and he was very surprised that they were invited in and then told conclusively no. He described it as a ''good offer'', with proper due diligence done, not just a pie in the sky figure, and he was definitely frustrated that he had put so much time into it when they seemingly had no interest whatsoever.[/quote]MY, Fernandes cannot have made an offer because an offer (which is a specific business term) by definition - by company law - has to be passed on to shareholders. And none ever has been. Therefore, there have never been any offers. From Cullum, or Fernandes, or anyone.This may look like nitpicking over semantics, but it isn''t. Companies frequently get expressions of interest, and if word gets out then a fan will post that the club has received an offer and how come and how come we know nothing about it?! Whereas it has not been an offer but just been another vague approach that never got turned into anything formal.Obviously I cannot say quite how this approach from your contact fits in, except that it cannot have been an offer, even if due diligence had been done. But I cannot stress often enough, that if someone - your contact or whoever - came up with a properly-funded offer that ticked all the necessary community-interest boxes that Smith and Jones value, then they would find it very had to stand in its way, despite their majority shareholding.

[quote user="JF"]If we’re digging up revelations from the past, I was told several years ago that when Roeder got the managers job, Steve Bruce also wanted it. Boooommmm[/quote]

At last a rumour I know is total b*****ks

Lol, so predictable... reality is, we are a small time club with small time ownership and will always be small time. A lucky version of Ipswich really... think anyone outside Norfolk gives much of a shit about Norwich? Perhaps one day we will have another lambert miracle but the reality is we are a championship club with championship aspirations.

It’s about time we got used to it.

[quote user="JF"]Mittal only owns an 11 per cent share in QPR but is worth a frickin fortune. Briatore it appears was only involved up to 2010 from his wiki page and his wealth is a ‘mere’ £200 million, peanuts in modern day football. Fernandez is the majority shareholder but again in football terms his £300 million is pretty poor in comparison to many others[/quote]

Which is about 10x what Delia is worth

All semantics.

Nobody will put in a formal “offer” when they get rebuffed at the initial approach stage. The club is not for sale. Yes they will welcome any mug who wants to put money in in return for no control but that’s not going to happen.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]All semantics.

Nobody will put in a formal “offer” when they get rebuffed at the initial approach stage
. The club is not for sale. Yes they will welcome any mug who wants to put money in in return for no control but that’s not going to happen.[/quote]Really, Jim? I would not want any millionaire or billionaire who was so wussy they took an initial No for a final answer to own Norwich City. It doesn''t matter whether Smith and Jones think the club is not for sale, and that they are planning for the nephew to inherit.They have boxed themselves into a corner by saying they would give the club away for nothing to the right person, and that the nephew is such a right person, because he will safeguard the club''s ethos and heritage.That is their argument. By which they would be hoist if someone very rich came along and gave them - and this trust that is supposed to act as a moral watchdog, and fans and the whole of the county - cast-iron guarantees that they would protect that ethos and heritage, while having pots of cash to invest. It would be impossible for S&J to stand in the way of such an offer. Even if they wanted to.You might argue that such a ideal buyer would be a rarity, and that is probably true. But your alternative is someone very rich who will not guarantee to protect that ethos and heritage.