Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Millwall

I almost didn''t make it today after going down with a touch of the Lurgi thanks to my great grandson sneezing all over me during the Xmas festivities. However, after a good dose of suitable medication and an offer of a lift to the ground from my grand daughter Rosie, I decided to give it a go. We got out in King Street after a rather hairy ride through the City, leaving irate motorists and pedestrians swearing in our wake. Had I been I driving instructor I would have failed her on excessive use of the horn.Anyway, I digress, on to the match which began in rather entertaining fashion with the ball flowing freely from end to end. Millwall earned two or three corners which were dealt with comfortably enough but it was City who looked to have the more cutting edge for once. Oliviera couldn''t quite get enough on Murphy''s delightful cross and his header was just a yard wide.City were finding plenty of passes, sometimes a shade too many but it was a nice move that led to Pritchard letting fly from twenty yards only for Archer to turn his shot over for a corner. It was all very promising and looked even more so when next, Murphy had a ping from outside the box but again to close to the keeper who helped it over at the expense of another corner. From this one it seemed that the in-rushing Grant Hanley only had to stab it into the net but somehow it bobbled up and went over the bar.At the other end Millwall were firing angled balls in to Steve Morison who was certainly winning a fair share of them. Mostly the lay offs came to nothing but Gunn had to save smartly at his near post when a chance was finally created. The game was keenly contested in midfield with both Tetty and Trybull going head to head with some uncompromising stuff from the visitors.It was good to see Murphy finally coming back into form and although the crowd had been deathly silent for most of the half there was always a ripple of anticipation when he got on the ball. With half time approaching all we needed was a goal to seal City''s supremacy and it should have come when Pritchard in a central position received to ball from a corner. Unfortunately his shot curled away a yard from the post with Archer beaten.City hadn''t looked in any kind of danger until totally against the run of play, Morison picked up a loose ball thirty yards out and just cracked one high over Gunn and into the top corner. Jesus H Christ, how many times have we seen this happen at CR this season. It may have been undeserved but when they trooped off at the half a large proportion of the crowd vented their anger with a storm of boo''s. If I''d been feeling well I might well have joined in.It needed any early response in the second half to get the crowd back on side and thankfully we didn''t have to wait too long for it. Oliviera was pulled down twenty-five yard out on the right of the box and Maddison flighted a lovely ball in for the unmarked Tom Trybull to loop a header across Archer and into the far corner. Finally we got some noise from the stands and the boys responded to it with some gritty football in a closely contested midfield. Murphy might well have got a deserved goal when Pinto put in a low angled cross but somehow the ball avoided his out stretched leg. Then he changed sides after racing for a long ball on the right. His cut back and powerful shot was well worthy of a winner but frustratingly it came back off the face of the bar.As we moved into the last quarter it seemed like a goal might not come thanks to strong defending from the Lions as City tried to walk the ball through a packed defence. Then out of the blue the gates were opened by Pritchard''s cute pass which Maddison latched onto before driving a low shot across Archer, into the corner and sending the crowd into rapturesMillwall huffed and puffed a bit as the sand ran through the timer but Hanley and Klose, dealt well with the high stuff and Trybull, who was magnificent throughout and my MOM, was always there to clear away the pieces. Murphy went off to deserved applause and Zimmerman and Watkins came on merely as time killers while City expertly ran down the clock and send us all home with a bit of hope for the New Year. Glad I went in the end. The fresh air and the three points made it all worth while.Happy New Year to all.[:D][Y]

Great stuff as always Ricardo. Glad you picked Trybull as MOTM as I seemed to be the only one around me who thought that. Thought he was immense.

Enjoyable game as well for once too.

"The unmarked Trybull"? Surely you don''t intend to deprive him of the plaudits he deserves for getting to the ball ahead of his marker? He stooped to conquer -- much like Jansson v Stiepermann at Leeds? That''s how it looked to me on iFollow anyway.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Great stuff as always Ricardo. Glad you picked Trybull as MOTM as I seemed to be the only one around me who thought that. Thought he was immense.

Enjoyable game as well for once too.[/quote]Some only see the flashy stuff HC. I thought TT was superb throughout. The team looks far better balanced with him and Tetty breaking things up and spreading play from the back. Our bad run began when Farke changed it searching for more firepower at home and of course Tetty''s injury didn''t help.

@Swindon

Was the same v Sheff Weds. seemed to have so much more energy about us, closing down, making runs etc. In the 1st half Maddison would have dropped off looking for the ball to feet instead of making the run he scored from

Thanks once again ricardo.

I trust your festive lurgi is beating a retreat; mine didn''t last long & I suspect it came from the same generic source as yours - though I''ve just realised you''re a generation on from me! Well done!

I''d never complain though. One of the (very) few downsides of being a granddad :-). Happy New Year!