Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Greg Downes

Really is an excellent co-commentator on Radio Norfolk. Adds some excellent detail to what is happening on the pitch and some of the smaller more technical aspects.

Pulled apart Klose earlier for jumping off two feet rather than one and Nelson for failing to get side on to protect the ball from defenders.

Totally agree. By far the best co-commentator on Radio Norfolk.

Really insightful and talks complete sense. Doesn’t pull any punches either which I respect.

Yes, he is one of the better ones.

Mark Walton is class when he''s on and Rivvo is enjoyable.

There are two or three others who offer little insight.

Completely disagree. Contradicted himself over the whole resting players saga and didn''t stick with his original stance (which he was originally very animated about). Poor.

Downs is excellent as he watches and commentates like a supporter.

He didn’t win any headers against Morison. Morison is exactly what we need as a lone striker.

Didn’t hear him, was watching the game.

Listened to five minutes of Canary call on the way home, five minutes is all I can take, he seemed to spend all his time criticising Farke for picking up 7 out of 9 points. Bit churlish if you ask me.

[quote user="Van wink"]he seemed to spend all his time criticising Farke for picking up 7 out of 9 points. Bit churlish if you ask me.[/quote]It was 7 out of 12, or did the loss to Brentford not count

I like to look at it in blocks of three.😀

Come on, it’s a bad season but where credit is due I like to give it,

Also didn''t hear the commentary as was at the match but thought his Canary Call comments were well wide of what I saw. Great suggesting we play two up front but he never mentioned who would need to be dropped or how it would disrupt the midfield.

Klose had a good game as far as I''m concerned and won plenty in the air so not sure what he was watching there either.

Klose had a good game as far as I''m concerned and won plenty in the air so not sure what he was watching there either.

You need to watch where he heads them though. Invariably, straight back to the opposition.

kg, that isn''t always down to Klose though, when he is under pressure, his first job is to make sure the ball goes back upfield, the midfielders etc should be anticipating him winning the headers.

Pundits are there (1) to give Goreham a break, (2) to express their opinion and (3) to be controversial.Some are entertaining, others are not. Downes is.

kg, that isn''t always down to Klose though, when he is under pressure, his first job is to make sure the ball goes back upfield, the midfielders etc should be anticipating him winning the headers.

That is a good point.

So tactically our midfield is is the wrong places at times and needs to be told so.

No-one in that team is immune from criticism. Maybe only Gunn at the moment.

For a start his surname is spelt Downs!

Great player for Norwich back in the day!

Talks a lot of sense particularly about the modern day obsession with stats!

Greg Downs was a striker when I first used to watch him playing for the reserves. Mel Machin saw the potential of a left back in him and he became a fans favourite in that position. He had some great seasons here but his greatest moment was probably winning the FA Cup with Coventry.

Greg is a great bloke

He is in the Norfolk Constabulary and works out of Wymondham Police Station

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Greg Downs was a striker when I first used to watch him playing for the reserves. Mel Machin saw the potential of a left back [/quote]Perhaps we should try that with Oliveira [:D]

Greg Downs was a striker when I first used to watch him playing for the reserves. Mel Machin saw the potential of a left back in him and he became a fans favourite in that position. He had some great seasons here but his greatest moment was probably winning the FA Cup with Coventry.

Very fine striker of the ball as well. Remember his scorcher against Stoke, opening game 1980/81.

Personally think he talks a lot of rubbish and is one of the worst on there, although I only listen to Canary Call as go to most games. Cedric Anselin, Mark Rivers and Darren Eadie and much better options IMO.

I never listen to Canary Call so can''t comment on that. His co-commentary has been excellent when I''ve heard it though.

He’s sounds a bit Brexit and there’s an occasional hint that he still thinks it’s the 1980s, but he speaks well and is generally quite fair. One of the best.

Eadie is generally quite good, although the banter between him and Butler can get a bit cringey.

Mark Rivers literally says what he wants, has some good points but a bit of a loudmouth.

Huckerby also excellent, think he gives a real insight into the workings of the game.

Cedric Ansellin is fuller than dishwater and doesn’t offer too much insight. I usually turn off when he’s on.

I''ll tell you who I did like, I cant remember his name or if he''s been on since but the guy who co commentated against Cardiff away last season when we won 1-0. Believe he was a keeper and his first name might be Mark?

I''ll tell you who I did like, I cant remember his name or if he''s been on since but the guy who co commentated against Cardiff away last season when we won 1-0. Believe he was a keeper and his first name might be Mark?

Probably Mark Walton.

Night John Boy.