Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Our fans...

There seems to be a growing group on here who think our fans are somewhat unique. We''re apparently...

Impatient

Entitled

Expectant

All more so than most other fans.

Is it just me who thinks this just isn''t true?

I don''t think we''re special in this regard- Wolves fans are famously impatient, Newcastle fans have been known to turn on their team swiftly and as many have pointed out quite a few teams at this level believe they should be in the Premier League. Every team has impatient fans and I don''t think we have a uniquely high number of them.

I''ve always seen our fan base as being loyaler than most (hence selling out in League One) and actually more patient than the norm (Hughton and Neil would both have been booed out of the building far earlier by some other fan bases).

Is it just me?

The Norwich fan base has its own uniqueness of course.

It would be interesting to see the age breakdown and length of watching.

NCFC have little or no competition for allegiance and support so the length of support may well be longer than most.

Obviously Baby Boomers appear to have more disposable income.

Norfolk people are definitely more reserved and the away support makes as much noise as the home fans at times.

And Norfolk people are proper moaners. The amount who probably walk home saying "I in''t a cumming next gairm" could probably fill a smaller ground.

I just think the way we digest a game has altered over the years.

Living in Cornwall, retired, I have very few supporters of NCFC to chat to over a pint. Son and grandsons is about it.

So my posts on here might be removed from the reality of supporting the club and attending matches. Mine are reserved for away games where the atmosphere is totally different. And I haven''t been to many of them recently.

[quote user="king canary"](Hughton and Neil would both have been booed out of the building far earlier by some other fan bases). [/quote]You forgot delusional.

My own feeling is that football fans the world over are the same, we have high expectations of our team, however unrealistic those expectations are. We are all armchair managers/owners we like to have a little grumble when our expectations are not being met, personally I do not have an issue with it. Before the advent of the internet and social media our discussions would have been face to face with fellow fans, be they work colleagues, family, friends or other fans over a pint before the game. For me social media has polarised discussion, everything is instantaneous, perhaps without the opportunity of thinking about things before making them public via whatever platform people use. Social media has also given an opportunity to wind up merchants, trolls and those you would question whether or not they are actually Norwich City fans to flourish, anonymously, I think you just have to learn to ignore, filter and not get upset about it.......

Really?

You think Neil wouldn''t have been chased out by other fans after 2 wins in 12?

Or Hughton wouldn''t have been getting calls for his sacking every game after 1 win in 11 and only 5 goals in the process?

KC you mention Wolves and Newcastle but include in that Sunderland who when they are losing at home leave the ground in literally thousands even if it is only H/T.

We still get 25,000 crowds in the 2nd tier despite underperforming!

We averaged nearly 25,000 in the 3rd tier something only a handful of other clubs would do!

Have a look at the Premiership and we are a bigger club than nearly half the clubs in it apart from obviously League position and the riches that go with being in the top flight!

Looking at the above facts then its only fair that Norwich fans should be expecting more than we have seen from Daniel Farke and co so far this season!

I think we probably have a far higher percentage of fans that are happy to accept mediocrity and see the game as a day out, rather than a lot of other clubs who have a far more passionate fan base

[quote user="JF"]I think we probably have a far higher percentage of fans that are happy to accept mediocrity and see the game as a day out, rather than a lot of other clubs who have a far more passionate fan base[/quote]I have worked in other areas of the country for the majority of my career and I boasted about having 25,000 supporters even in League 1 to a colleague. I was advised that there was because there was nothing to do in Norfolk, other than procreating with close family members. This of course relates to another another thread as well.

Lol. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, numbers through the gates is money in the bank for the club. But I do believe we have a higher percentage than a lot of other clubs of fans who are there for the day out rather than being passionate about the club. I personally know quite a few who attend that fall into this category

[quote user="JF"]Lol. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, numbers through the gates is money in the bank for the club. But I do believe we have a higher percentage than a lot of other clubs of fans who are there for the day out rather than being passionate about the club. I personally know quite a few who attend that fall into this category[/quote]
Well of course it''s a day out! We''re not all like you sitting indoors moaning on here....
[;)]

To be fair with modern technology I can moan on here from anywhere in the world!

[quote user="JF"]To be fair with modern technology I can moan on here from anywhere in the world![/quote]
Indeed you could. Just to prove you''re not just there for the day out you could post your location on the match threads. A whinge from the Caribbean would have more weight than a moan from Cleethorpes. Just as long as we''re not on a day out at the game....

[quote user="JF"]I think we probably have a far higher percentage of fans that are happy to accept mediocrity and see the game as a day out, rather than a lot of other clubs who have a far more passionate fan base[/quote]

Then we start to categorise our fans and the whole plastic / happy clapper labels come out.

Don''t understand why people are not simply allowed to enjoy the game in their own way. If people are not conforming to one type of "enjoyment" be it standing up and spoiling it for others or sitting down and spoiling it for others then they are not "proper fans"

All rather tribal and pathetic. At the end of the day its not even just a game anymore its a business.

Id far rather be a fan of a smaller club than a so called "big money club" because again the fans don''t mean anything when literally 10s of millions of pounds go through the business a week.

[quote user="JF"]Lol. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, numbers through the gates is money in the bank for the club. But I do believe we have a higher percentage than a lot of other clubs of fans who are there for the day out rather than being passionate about the club. I personally know quite a few who attend that fall into this category[/quote]The secret is to think of the football as something you fit in between the pre-match and post-match drinks. Not as a crucial part of the the matchday experience.The disappointment is less crushing.

Lol some people can get so uptight over the simplest of things. I know a Man U fan and a Tottenham fan that have season tickets as they enjoy watching football. I know another Man Utd fan that attends several games a season because it’s a day out. I’m pretty sure a lot of people will know people who attend for the day out? Quite how this offends people like NN I have no idea?

I’ll also add that my cousin, a Nottingham Forest fan has a season ticket

I also hate to be the one to break it to you by there is a Man Utd fan that sits in the directors area every week! The horror of it....

[quote user="JF"]I also hate to be the one to break it to you by there is a Man Utd fan that sits in the directors area every week! The horror of it....[/quote]Not forgetting the Coventry fan on the payroll who sits there too. [:P]

[quote user="JF"]Lol some people can get so uptight over the simplest of things. I know a Man U fan and a Tottenham fan that have season tickets as they enjoy watching football. I know another Man Utd fan that attends several games a season because it’s a day out. I’m pretty sure a lot of people will know people who attend for the day out? Quite how this offends people like NN I have no idea?[/quote]
Why do you think I''m offended by that JF? 
I love a day out. I can''t do with sitting around indoors day in and day out just whinging, whining and tutting at the tv. If you''re stuck indoors a lot you can come out and about with me if you like. Call it care in the community buddy....

Because you are clearly passionate about the club and not there for the day out. Because of our location I think it’s likely that our fan base contains a higher percentage than most other clubs of these fans. The two season ticket holders I know started going in the worthy promotion season when the half season ticket offer at Xmas was on and they have continued to attend since. ( they are not enjoying this season ) The upside of this is money through the gates, the downside is a less passionate fan base imo

[quote user="JF"]Because you are clearly passionate about the club and not there for the day out. Because of our location I think it’s likely that our fan base contains a higher percentage than most other clubs of these fans. The two season ticket holders I know started going in the worthy promotion season when the half season ticket offer at Xmas was on and they have continued to attend since. ( they are not enjoying this season ) The upside of this is money through the gates, the downside is a less passionate fan base imo[/quote]
Clubs like Watford have many more of these types of fans JF.  We have less because of continually selling out prior to promotion seasons and our location is a disadvantage for fans of other clubs.