Sign in to follow this  
Yellow and Green

January Departures

Just having a think about which players could possibly leave in this transfer window. After splashing out on Hanley in August, it seems likely that it will be a case of selling before we can buy. Offloading high earners now may also effect the chances of renewing someone like Tettey''s contract, as we head into next season without parachute payments.

I think the players who might leave would fall in to two categories:

Players that we are looking to sell - mainly because of past mistakes of us signing players who are on high wages and long contracts. The players I would put in this category are:

Jarvis - we wish.

Naismith - not involved, high wages and linked to Rangers.

McGovern - 33, on decent wages and still has 18 months on his contract.

Martin - not involved and also linked to Rangers.

Wildschut - not involved recently, probably on high wages and we could also raise some decent money for him.

Then there are players who other clubs will probably be interested in:

Maddison

Pritchard

Oliveria - linked to Wolves.

Klose

Jerome - linked to Cardiff.

Hopefully we can shift one or two from the first list, which might allow us to hold on to our key players and add to the squad somehow.

A third list, which is also worth keeping in mind, is of the players out of contract at the end of the season:

Gunn

Reed

Tettey

Hoolahan

Jones

Toffolo

I''d somehow convinced myself we only gave McGovern a two year deal. Stick another one in the ''what the fuck was Alex Neil thinking?'' box.

I''d argue Klose is the most expendable of the second list- I think Hanley and Zimmerman can do a job and if Raggatt is coming back in that will also help.

I can see the argument for selling Nelson based on his recent performances but I can''t see where we get the money from to replace him right now.

I''m departing on 1 February to New Zealand for a few weeks.

Is there anyone likely to want me to stay instead?

No, thought so.

For me any sale of Pritchard or Maddison in January is a redline. We can still make the playoffs this season, they must not be sold.

I would also very much prefer not to sell Klose or Oliveira but could perhaps grudgingly accept selling one of them if the money on offer is excellent and some of the money is used to bring in a quick striker who can run in behind defences.

The ideal would be to move on Naismith, Martin, Jarvis and Mcgovern but can;t see anyone taking Jarvis off our hands.

Wildshut is a strange situation. I feel he''s played quite well when he''s featured this season and have been a bit bemused by his recent absence from the team/squad since he tore apart the sc*m at Portman Road. He brings a directness we lacked during Murphy''s recent dip in form but clearly something is going on there or Farke doesn;t rate him as he''s disappeared off the scene entirely.

One thing''s for sure ... we will see a lot of activity over the next 3 windows.

We simpy cannot afford to pay our curret squad minus parachutes ... a problem that all relegated clubs without affluent owners face when they fail to bounce back.

Let''s just pray that Webber can unearth more Zimmermans and Trybulls and that we have a few more like Lewis in the pipeline.

"I''m departing on 1 February to New Zealand for a few weeks.

Is there anyone likely to want me to stay instead?"

You''re in the fourth category with Franke and the young players - ''Loan Out whilst they improve''!

Whilst Gunn''s out of our league, it would be interesting to see if Norwich try to buy Harrison Reed in the summer. He''ll be 23 then, and despite being on a long term contract, I''m not convinced he''s progressed enough to be a Premiership player yet.

Does anyone else think that there might be a possibility of re-signing Gunn on loan at the end of the season?

Whilst I believe he''s good enough for the premiership, he has no chance of getting in the Man City team and I''m not sure how many clubs would gamble on such a young keeper as their number one.

Interesting thought about Reed though. I agree that he isn''t good enough for the Saints but I would suspect that he is too expensive for us.

I think there is a good chance we can get Gunn back next year. However if we continues to do well at Plymouth I''d be tempted to get Remi Matthews in goal.

If Reed is expensive then I wouldn''t bother pursuing him. He''s fine and he''s generally done quite well for us but he hasn;t stoodd out and recent weeks have shown that Tettey and Trybull is our best combination in that area of the pitch. i suspect next season we will see Godfrey and Trybull as our midfield duo withj Thompson as back up. We will therefore need at least 1 new midfielder in the summer but I don;t thonk Reeds performances have been so good that it would justify pushing the boat out to sign him. If he were available quite cheaply then would be worth acquiring.

I think in an ideal world, we will get rid of the following either in Jan or in the summer;

Jarvis (Not enough time played to earn a new contract!)

Naismith (Wages + not playing)

Martin (Not playing)

Wildschut (god knows what is going on with him at the moment!)

Klose (Perhaps a surprise inclusion, but has said he wants to play in the world cup. Might feel he stands more chance elsewhere. I would also assume Raggett is the long term favourite to play here)

Those likely to leave upon contract expiry in the summer;

Paul Jones

Alex Tettey (Self stated it is likely)

Wes (With Madders + Pritchard here do we really need Wes any longer? Does he even work in this new system? I would keep him if we lose one of Madders or Pritchard though.)

Toffolo (No way in for him now Lewis has arrived)

Reed (Doubt Southampton will want to sell)

Gunn (Doubt City will want to sell)

McGovern is on decent wages YnG? How much exactly?..would be interested to know what a decent wage is. Anyway, all the guys on that list, far as i know, none of them have been put up for sale or asked to move, so its merely conjecture based on a sole reason that they have not been regular first teamers this season.As for the no contractors at end season, there sure seems to be a good case for saying bye to Wes, Jones and Toffolo, but of course would be nice if somehow we could keep Tettey here awhile longer. Ditto Angus, if Man. City could be persuaded to loan him another season that would be good. Harrison Reed?...i dunno, hes been good though not great, but im hoping on Farke bringing more young uns thru, hoping Louis Thomson and Godfrey can make the grade  like Lewis has done.

You''re in the fourth category with Franke and the young players - ''Loan Out whilst they improve''!

I''m not going to Plymouth. I''ll except Torquay, most of them are my age anyway.

Jarvis - I really believe this guy is a new signing in the offing in a position where we are in need and with experience to boot. Is he due back February?Hoolahan

- Sad to say he won''t be here next season unless there is a change of manager. I get the feeling he will keep playing at another club though instead of retiring

Must be very frustrating for Farke & Webber that they could really do with shifting on players that are high earners, but that nobody else might want or the player might not want to move without a hefty pay-off: feels like a similar situation to RVW and Laffterty with regards to Jarvis & Naismith. Unfortunately, our financial situation might mean that the players other people do want might go first and we are still left with "dead wood".

I presume there are plenty of other clubs in similar situations, but I feel those 2 player signings taint Neill''s legacy somewhat

Jarvis - can''t see anyone coming in for him

Naismith - can see him going out on loan but wages will be a stumbling block

McGovern - think he''ll stay to the end of season, moreso now that Remi has gone to Plymouth for the rest of the seasion

Martin - if he goes, who plays right back if Ivo is injured/suspended?

Wildschut - think he''ll stay, unless a good offer comes our way.

Pritchard, Maddison - try to keep at all costs - £20m each in today''s market

Klose - get the feeling he wants to stay but if his agent can get him a move, he could still make Switzerland''s WC squad & who wouldn''t want that?

Oliveira - Sell for £8m+

Any players coming in sound as if they''ll only come in if someone goes out. The only rumours I''ve heard are Aldo Kalulu, Onel Hernandez and the young Liverpool striker Ben Woodburn.