Sign in to follow this  

Just wondering if you saw this article in the edp from the other day about growth in different parts of the country?

http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/norwich-s-economy-set-to-grow-faster-than-many-other-uk-cities-in-2018-experts-say-1-5339115

Genuinely not trying to prove a point re the Barnsley thread, the full report kinda highlights the points I think both of us were trying to make about both Norfolk/East Anglia and certain parts of the north in years to come, worth a read and shows both parts would be highly suitable for an investor if it were available, worth a look if you haven''t seen

DDD In The Fine City wrote the following post at 04/01/2018 3:41 PM:

Also leaves an empty site for more business or city centre housing that the city is crying out for, a growing city needs more homes, the closure of one site isn''t going to ruin East Anglia

A lot of lost jobs in the factories and associated services.

A fair few are moving with the company but there will be job loses, I work over the river and we''re in the same situation, our site used to employ 3000 we''re now down to about 150, The businesses are doing fine the sites are far too big with machines taking over people power, within the next 10 years we''ll be moving to a smaller site in the area for the same reason. Both ourselves and Britvic/Colman have steadily been selling off land to different people over the years but once Britvic decided to leave it forced Colmans to find someone to move in or move on themselves, the offers we''re getting for the site we''re on are becoming too good to refuse much longer, people want homes in the city with good transport links, it doesn''t get better than Nr1

Perhaps we could build more Mosque''s for the future Great (once) Britain,

There are 3, and another may be built on the site of the former King Edward VII pub on the Aylsham Road.

Thanks DDD.Yes I did know that the Norwich is one of the fastest growing regions - there is also a significant expected increase in population size. It is in some ways an attractive area in which to invest - although poor education levels (we have a smaller than average L3+ qualified population - A level equivalent and above) and communications hinder us a bit.Where I would contrast this with something like the area around the HS2 project is that most of our growth is organic and already priced into the value of many assets. This contrasts to massive capital projects which are potentially "game changers" and can stimulate a whole new level of subsequent investment - something economists call the "accelerator effect." Thus investors might find an area that was previously less attractive becomes more so, raising it to a whole new level - this is less likely to be fully priced in yet as the benefit make years to come to full fruition.In the case of Barnsley, it was one of the reasons that Simon Chadwick, a professor of sport enterprise at Salford University cited,"This is not a random purchase; it is not a sugar-daddy purchase; it

is not a vanity purchase. There will be very clear economic and

strategic reasons for buying the club. There is not just interest in football, but interests in broader industrial, economic and commercial opportunities beyond that. Getting

to the Premier League will be important but in my experience of the

Chinese and their investors, football is a means to an end, not an end

in itself. The HS2 rail line through South Yorkshire, a

multi-million pound retail scheme in the town and a drive to boost

tourism in the area in the coming years all "fit the bill."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42426661

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Just wondering if you saw this article in the edp from the other day about growth in different parts of the country?

http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/norwich-s-economy-set-to-grow-faster-than-many-other-uk-cities-in-2018-experts-say-1-5339115

Genuinely not trying to prove a point re the Barnsley thread, the full report kinda highlights the points I think both of us were trying to make about both Norfolk/East Anglia and certain parts of the north in years to come, worth a read and shows both parts would be highly suitable for an investor if it were available, worth a look if you haven''t seen[/quote]The point you miss is that Barnsley was cheap as chips - the sad circumstances and not owning their ground meant that the purchase could have been for as little as £10 million, according to the FT, or less than Jacob Murphy if you like. Share that round a consortium and it comes in at a figure that is worth a punt whereas NCFC would require a much larger immediate investment.As for the link, Norwich came third in the East Anglian growth stakes after Cambridge and Ipswich. If I was a billionaire investor looking for a way to make cash from those clubs, and CCFC would seem to make better sense. Cambridge is desperate to facilitate a new "commuinity stadium", the locals are rich, economic growth is rampant and the clubs would be cheap. In 4/5 years you could be sitting on a Premiership club in a spanking new stadium part funded by the taxpayer. Compare that with NCFC''s offer......

I don''t think 2+2 always makes 4 in these areas though.

There are growth areas all around Britain at the moment. Cornwall''s population has exploded but of course it hasn''t brought anything with it as the growth is in pensioners.

Reading is obviously one club that has been bought by the Chinese and Thai consortium because of the land around Madjeski that is ripe for development in a boom town.

What is the future for Norwich.? Is it growing merely as an extension of the commuter belt? Are there still places for development and renewal? Would a new ground on the outskirts with a promise of development around be an attraction?

You people who live there might know the answers.

Keelan  -The population of Norfolk, and Norwich, has risen sharply this century (Norwich grew by 8 and 1/2 thousand 2011-16) and is expected to rise sharply over the next decade - by about 7% or so over the next decade. One of the big things that is holding us back is our infrastructure - it takes over 2 hours to get to London, which is holding back our financial services. East-west travel is a nightmare and the A17 is worse!

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]I don''t think 2+2 always makes 4 in these areas though.

There are growth areas all around Britain at the moment. Cornwall''s population has exploded but of course it hasn''t brought anything with it as the growth is in pensioners.

Reading is obviously one club that has been bought by the Chinese and Thai consortium because of the land around Madjeski that is ripe for development in a boom town.

What is the future for Norwich.? Is it growing merely as an extension of the commuter belt? Are there still places for development and renewal? Would a new ground on the outskirts with a promise of development around be an attraction?

You people who live there might know the answers.[/quote]

We won''t see a move away from CR in our lifetimes KG. As for growth, I see no reason to think it will be anything dramatic. Manufacturing continues its long term decline and our geographical position has always been against us in that respect.

And the point you miss Big fish is that Barnsley was for sale Norwich city isn''t, the fact is there is no right or wrong answer it''s all guess work as ultimately how successful a club is comes down to results on the pitch and how many millions it would cost a club to get to the premier league with the big bucks, you say Cambridge could be premier league in 4/5 seasons so could many more clubs, it''s a results business.

No point in going over old ground it''s been done to death now, I found the article and powerhouse report and after our heated discussions the other day thought badger might be interested in reading it if he hadn''t already as it highlighted points we were both trying to make.

We won''t see a move away from CR in our lifetimes KG.

I''ll jump off Hells Mouth if it helps Ricardo.

No need for drastic action KG. No real financial incentives to leave CR.

You don''t envisage a move or even stadium expansion then Ricardo?

If the ground is still fit for all of its purposes and will only need maintaining then the money will have to be spent on players.