Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

What was the best cup match you remember

For me it was the league cup match at Arsenal Highbury a 3-0 win for city with Graham paddon scoring a hat trick ,closely followed by the two matches at carrow road v Chelsea in the league cup semi finals ,the first one being the best

before the fog descended .

Dad wouldn''t let me go to the 1958 cup run as it just too dangerous for a tiddler.

Best result was the 2-1 at Bayern.

Best I saw was the 2-1 at Old Trafford in 1967 within a reserve team beating the Champions.

A few. Beating Rochdale 1-0 (the peerless Jimmy Hill) to win our first  cup trophy. A brace from Ron Davies dragging us back to a draw against Blackburn Rovers in 1965-66. Paddon defeating Arsenal on his own. Being on holiday near Perth and seeing our reserves waltz past St Johnstone (O''Donnell and Blair) after their manager had said we would regret this typically English insult to Scottish football that we were going to take them so lightly...Bayern, yes, but for pure, brilliant football I would take the 3-1 replay win (Allen twice, and Gordon) over West Ham in 1988-89.. Oh, we could play back then. For amusement, the how-did-that-not-go in? win in extra time over the nine men of Southampton. Followed by the greatest disappointment - the listless semi-final loss to a poor Sunderland side whose goal was offside early in the build-up. Even so, we should have won.

On a pure romantic notion, I loved the 3-0 win at Yeovil (1980). going on the train, non league ground, and being back in time to watch it on MotD

[quote user=" Badger"]Surely the League (Milk) Cup semi, second leg vs Ipswich 1985?[/quote]Yes, got to be this one, although the 6th round replay v Sheff Utd in 1959 was a cracker.

[quote user=" Badger"]Before I was born Ricardo - though my dad and grandad went I think.

[/quote]An ever dwindling band who can remember it I suspect. Brennan''s opening goal still fresh in my mind though. I stood up against the rail level with the River end penalty area. Danced on the pitch at the end and was chased by a policeman.[:D][Y]

1963. 3rd round FA cup. V Manchester Utd away. None of this putting out the reserves crap. Law, Charlton, Best, Stiles, Stepney, they were all playing..........Gordon Bolland and Don Heath for city, Law for Utd in a fantastic 2-1 win upset when no one gave City a chance. And boy were those home supporters roar. Walking to the train station every bus that came past showered us with coins. For a ten year old that was just manna for heaven on top of the result!

City 2nd wrote the following post at 2018-01-06 5:23 PM:

1963. 3rd round FA cup. V Manchester Utd away. None of this putting out the reserves ***. Law, Charlton, Best, Stiles, Stepney, they were all playing..........Gordon Bolland and Don Heath for city, Law for Utd in a fantastic 2-1 win upset when no one gave City a chance. And boy were those home supporters roar. Walking to the train station every bus that came past showered us with coins. For a ten year old that was just manna for heaven on top of the result!

That should read 1968.

[quote user="Yellowhammer"]For me it was the league cup match at Arsenal Highbury a 3-0 win for city with Graham paddon scoring a hat trick ,closely followed by the two matches at carrow road v Chelsea in the league cup semi finals ,the first one being the best

before the fog descended .[/quote]I was just about to post this, but you beat me to it.  I was there for the Highbury game. 

I''ve only watched Norwich since the mid 90''s, so sadly not got a lot of games to choose from!

I distinctly remember a trip to Everton in the early 2000''s which we lost 3-1. It was 1-1 at half time, but Iwan Roberts decided to turn it into a wrestling match and conceded two penalties in the second half...

Home tie against Sutton Utd, beat them very professionally 8-0, no gloating etc after, just a good all round tie. Job done.

Maybe a repeat today???

For me it was the FA Cup 3-0 win against Man Utd at Carrow Road in January 1959.Snow everwhere, even on the pitch, sat on the cinder path around the pitch, great atmosphere, great result and only the start of what was to follow.

Mine was the 1989 quarter final against Sheff Utd at home, finished 3-2 to us but they were a league below us at the time and gave us helluva game. Brian Deane and Tony Agana played up front for them that day and their pace and power caused us loads of problems.Cracking atmosphere as well - real blood and thunder cup tie.