Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Team v Chelsea

Gunn, Pinto, Zimmermann, Hanley, Klose, Lewis,Tettey, Trybull, Murphy, Maddison, Pritchard.

!!!

Subs: McGovern (GK), Husband, Vrancic, Oliveira, Watkins, Hoolahan, Wildschut.

It’s certainly interesting!

I’m actually quite excited about it...it’s a strong team and trying to do something different.

Perfect game to give something new a go

ron obvious wrote the following post at 06/01/2018 4:38 PM:

Wow!

Is Parma now an eminence grise? :-)

Visionary

In the last couple of games we''ve scored some nice goals through Josh and Maddison running at pace through the defence- Pritchard providing that killer pass. Think this is aiming to encourage that whilst giving a sold presence otherwise.

Very interested to see how this goes.

I think Farke likes his position in English football that he has been given and plays strong cup sides so he can get to challenges like this game. How often might he get to play Chelsea so why not enjoy himself and play the best side he can and how to play them against the champions.

I think this formation is how Farke wanted to set up all along to be honest. 3 at the back wasn''t working due to the personnel we had available so he scrapped it after Millwall, however now Hanley has bedded in, and we have Jamal Lewis back who is quick enough to play the LWB role (which Husband and Stiepermann patently aren''t) I think we may see this type of formation more often. Especially now we have Raggett back in the squad to cover/push for a start as Farke obviously wasn''t comfortable with Martin or Franke.
The plan today is obviously to hit them on the break and soak up the pressure today though, hence Murphy getting the nod up top. Very easy to manipulate the formation if it isn''t working and revert to our usual or go 4-4-2.
I like it.
It''s the perfect day for an experiment too - if it goes south and we get spanked 6-0 who cares? If it works then Farke looks like an absolute genius.
Some big shocks already going on today - Coventry 2-1 against Stoke in the 91st, Villa losing 2-1 at home to Peterboro, albeit with a weakened Villa team, Fleetwood held Leicester to a 0-0 earlier.

If we play to Josh''s strengths, this could work. Nelson can have no complaints about being dropped but no Jerome at all? He must be off.

Personally not a fan of playing a back three, unless you use it regularly and the players know their roles. We will see whether it works today or not.

I would say Fleetwood + Leicester both held themselves to a 0-0 earlier. What an awful game of football that was- let''s hope for better at CR!

We''re matching Chelsea''s 3-4-3 minus a conventional centre-forward and with two dmc''s when one of the central midfielders should be an amc.Nonetheless, it''ll be great to get a positive result [Y]

I cant quite work out whats happening up top?

Flat back 5 I would have thought against a team like Chelsea, would be very brave to have wingbacks rather than commited defending full-backs, though nothing wrong with letting them go forward opportunistically.

Tettey and Trybull clearly DMs, but then, what the hell?

Id initially thought Murphy Maddison and Pritchard would be an attacking triumvirate, but I worry about not having an outlet up front. Surely he''s not planning on playing Josh as a false 9?

Certainly going to be very interesting. I just worry it will fall flat on its face. Seem to remember Lambo playing 3 at the back Vs Chelsea before and it was dreadful until he reverted to more familiar tactics later in the game,

British players seem far less adaptable than foreign players when it comes to playing out of position or with different tactics. Maybe we have enough adaptable players to make this work. Certainly thrying to throw the opposition a curve-ball is worth a try, just hope we dont undo ourselves more than the opposition have to

A positive selection by Farke. How often have recent managers not given the cup a proper go. I cannot remember a good cup run for a long while. And I believe we can win this game. Just deciding whether to make a bet!

[quote user="sonyc"]A positive selection by Farke. How often have recent managers not given the cup a proper go. I cannot remember a good cup run for a long while. And I believe we can win this game. Just deciding whether to make a bet![/quote]By our cup run standard we''ve had two good League cup runs recently, but agreed a good one is still needed.

Slow start so far, need to put their back line under a bit more pressure.

That’s a good performance.

We’ve been the better team, missing a presence up front as you’d probably expect.

Could easily sneak this which would be great for confidence

Lots of names left out there, looks like the writing may be on the wall for Martin (who’s on Radio Norfolk), Naismith, Jerome, Wildschut etc.

Really would have expected a few of them to have been in considering the Xmas period we worked most of the team to the bone

We''ve got nothing going forward in this half. Lots of putter patter football around the half way line and then we give the ball away too easily. Looks like set pieces might offer the best option.