Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Chelsea FA Cup

I am still suffering the after effects of flu so once again it was a lift to King Street rather than the long walk up Pottergate and I have to say, the drive was  a much more sedate affair than last week with my daughter taking the wheel. It was good to see Farke putting out a strong side, far too many of these games in recent years have turned out to be non events due to not taking this competition seriously. Indeed, in the light of our league position there was no good reason why we should not give it a go.The fluid five at the back with two DF''s in front of them looked strong on paper and this was translated into a good opening spell for the home side who looked compact and comfortable in possession to such an extent that we saw very little of the Chelsea attack in the opening quarter. Alex Tetty in particular caught my eye with some timely interceptions and was a calming presence every time the visitors attempted to up the pace.Goalmouth action was at a premium at either end but we were treated to plenty of industrious midfield action as City attempted to work Murphy into a position where he could show his pace. The young City winger forced one save out Cabellero and curled another one high and wide but might have made more of it when galloping clear ten minutes before the break. Unfortunately his effort was neither a cross nor a shot and gave Alex Pritchard, who had made up ground unmarked in the centre, no chance of latching on to it. Chelsea were strangely quiet and apart from a couple of corners never gave Gunn a moments worry. The passing and movement was slick from both sides and although chances were limited the crowd showed their appreciation with generous applause at the half.Chelsea began the second half with more intent and you could begin at last to see a class difference between the sides as the ball was moved a yard quicker.. A couple of shots skimmed wide or over the top as the dangerous Willian took the eye with his speed of thought and quick feet. However, we had reached the 55th minute before Gunn was called into serious action turning aside Willian''s low shot at his left post.City were not so neat as in the opening period and were made to pay for quick loss of possession as Chelsea came forward. Luiz sent a free kick inches over and both Klose and Zimmerman had to be quick to close down threats. A measure of control returned around the hour mark as City earned some free kicks themselves thanks to rough stuff on Maddison and Pritchard that resulted in yellows for the visitors. Pritchard had a shot deflected over, Klose headed a yard wide and a Murphy first time volley was deflected for a corner.It couldn''t be sustained however and as City began to look the markedly more tired side, it was Chelsea who began to look the more likely. Willian was the pick of the opposition but despite a great touch and some good runs he couldn''t find the space to really test Gunn. Oliviera and Wildshut came on in the closing stages and to be honest there were no really great alarms as City held on for what I think was a fine performance and a deserved replay.There were some good all round performances but I give my MOM to Alex Tetty with good marks also for the much underrated Christoph Zimmerman. He looked very calm and composed today but in truth it would be hard to be critical of anyone in a yellow shirt tonight.

Thanks Ricardo,

My MOTM, Tettey or young Lewis, who I thought performed superbly against Willian and Pedro and throw is Zappacosta, especially as he has only played a handful of senior games.

If we can keep this young prospect next season I think we will be doing well.

I enjoyed this FA cup game far more than many I could name in recent seasons. From comments on other threads I gather some are unhappy with the style and formation. Personally I think Farke got it spot on. Had Tetty and Trybull been playing all season then top six would have been a realistic prospect.

What is it about Tettey? He just seems to have a force field around him!

I think he radiates a composed power which intimidates opponents more than any amount of the nasty fouls & badly timed tackling I''ve seen from other ''hard men''. He doesn''t seem to tackle unless he can win the ball cleanly, but just gets the distance & timing right to minimise the options for the other team, & if the ball is there to be won he''ll win it 9 times out of 10.

Having won the ball, he never goes for the Hollywood pass, his job is to move it on out of the danger zone. Yet he can pass incisively if it''s on - witness his sublime ball through to Oliveira (a while ago now) & can turn nicely on the ball when the opposition least expect it.

One of my favourite unsung heroes, & I''ll be very sad when he goes :-(

I thought Klose played an intelligent game, coming forwards more than he usually does, with the luxury of knowing there were two centre backs behind him.  The formation seemed to work a treat with Tettey as the lynch pin in the centre.  Hats off to Farke for the tactics, not one weakness in the back eight players, with Madders, Pritchard and Murphy putting themselves about well - no wonder Chelsea looked poor... they were matched in every department.

Do you think the back five was a change or enforced because of the mystery surrounding the selection of Oliveira?

Do you think rather than put one of Maddison, Murphy or Pritchard up front and waste them, he chose a fairly fluid front three?

If he did choose to do that then I commend him for his choice. For once our best attackers were doing it much nearer goal.

I believe this system can work in the Championship. We won''t be any worse off if it doesn''t as we aren''t scoring much anyway. But I would like to see the ability of all three of them to shoot be given greater opportunity.

I liked Hanley''s attitude of clearing it no matter what. And was happy, albeit because in part of Chelsea''s slow approach, that we kept our shape and kept a spare man to cover.

Trybull''s passing was off last night and I think Pinto was ball watching a bit too much.

Trybull can do better we know but I am concerned the Pinto could leave that channel exposed. Of course it doesn''t help with Oliveira trying stupid backheels with Pinto stranded.

I though Hanley was excellent. Seemed to be communicating v well and you could see the determination to get back into position. Really helped the organisation at the back. Replay I expect the Chelsea youngsters to run more directly at the back three though, so Trybull and Tettey will be key to disrupt that.

The other thing I thought was that Lewis and Pinto stopped Zappacosata and Kenedy from getting forward much, worried about leaving things exposed. That really helped to starve them of crosses in which they normally excel at.