Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Quality performance

You so do not understand tactics against a quality team. Pity our manager don''t get tactics against a championship team.

mastoola wrote the following post at 06/01/2018 11:13 PM:

You so do not understand tactics against a quality team. Pity our manager don''t get tactics against a championship team.

Hope your under 12’s win tomorrow, will all be down to your tactical Nouse my friend. Good luck 👍

Ps I trust you are the manager and not the bloke mumbling on the touch line to his buddy about ‘oofin’ it 👍

I''m choosing to see it as a very good performance, so long as it is followed up by similar performances against league opposition. I would argue that against less talented opposition we would have found a little extra space on merit of play- that Pritchard Cruyff-turn, for example. In the Championship that would be game over for most lumbering centre-halves and the ball would most likely end up in the net.The question is whether or not things like that were happening because players were upping it for Chelsea or if it is genuine endeavour.Makes the Bristol game very interesting, to see if any tactical lines from tonight bleed through.

Certainly like to see the three at the back again, as long as the wing backs push on it works really well. The best I''ve seen pinto play in a while and as for Jamal Lewis, amazing to think tonight was only his third senior appearance.

westcoastcanary wrote the following post at 07/01/2018 5:58 AM:

How about treating us to a lincoln parody Duncan? The format is pretty simple: you start with several snide remarks about management, shift effortlessly into a series of negative observations irrespective of what actually happened on the pitch, and then sign off with e.g. "Not taking anything away from tonight though, we did at least manage to keep a clean sheet".

Hahaha, spot on wcc! Bravo!

Was a brilliant performance however the mindset will be totally different for when we play teams such as Burton where they are the underdog and we have to take the game aggressively to them to get a win, thats where we have struggled this season. Doesnt take anything away from yesterdays match though we just have to get the attacking intent up a notch or two.

ricardo wrote the following post at 06/01/2018 10:49 PM:

Agreed, no booing today and everybody my end seemed pleased with the performance. TV watchers and non attenders not so much apparently.

Probably a different experience at the match to watching it on the telly. It was an awful match to watch on the telly with neither side doing anywhere near enough to win the match. MOTD had it on towards the end of the show and couldn’t find anything meaningful to talk about! Great result though and the replay should be a far better game, who knows we may pull off the shock away from Home as our form has been pretty decent away

Well I watched it on TV and found it thoroughly absorbing to watch, with us matching Chelsea for quality of technique and competing at a high level.  The only thing that was awful was Josh''s two attempts at finishing when he should have cut the ball back...oh and Oliveira''s back heel...I''d love to know what planet he is on at the moment.....

Decent performance, albeit against an uninterested/ half hearted Chelsea!

We seem to play better when we are the underdogs, rather than many Championship games where we are expected to regularly beat supposedly smaller clubs!

Totally different football to Championship!

Still the lack of width, tippy tappy going nowhere passing and general over reliance on Maddison and Pritchard to provide an attacking spark doesn''t bode well for us being able to do anything more than scrape a lower mid table position come the end of the season!

[quote user="JF"]ricardo wrote the following post at 06/01/2018 10:49 PM:

Agreed, no booing today and everybody my end seemed pleased with the performance. TV watchers and non attenders not so much apparently.

Probably a different experience at the match to watching it on the telly. It was an awful match to watch on the telly with neither side doing anywhere near enough to win the match. MOTD had it on towards the end of the show and couldn’t find anything meaningful to talk about! Great result though and the replay should be a far better game, who knows we may pull off the shock away from Home as our form has been pretty decent away[/quote]Agree with this JF.Got to hope the replay is a better spectacle than it looked on TV. Apart from one decent 2nd half Chelsea shot which Gunn got down to to turn for a corner both goalies had nothing much to do. We look so powder puff in attack. Murphy was probably our greatest threat and he must have wanted the ground to open up when his speculative shot from the left sailed right across the box for a throw in on the other side. We were neat and tidy throughout but there was almost no excitement at all.It was funny watching the pundits, Sutton and Lampard, trying to come up with anything interesting to say. Lampard in particular looked as though he''d rather have been anywhere else than Carrow Rd.That said it was nice not to get our regular mullering by this lot although it''ll take a mammoth effort to avoid defeat at the Bridge. Let''s just hope we avoid the 4-0 replay defeat after that really entertaining 0-0 at Carrow Rd last time we met them in the Cup.

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]Even I bothered to watch the highlights, instead of looking at the statistics on the BBC website.Josh has got pace, but really lacks awareness of what''s going on around him. [/quote]Completely agree Ice Cream, there was one incident in particular when Pritchard was in an excellent position and Josh shot at goal from a very tricky angle instead of laying it off. exciting runs but very little decent end product.

''''.oh and Oliveira''s back heel...I''d love to know what planet he is on at the moment.....''''.......LDCprobably the same player that Ricky was passing to, that day back in the prem.

Put Tettey under unnecessary pressure. I thought we looked a poorer side after the subs came on.

We look so much more solid with Tettey and Trybull breaking opposition play up in midfield. If it is his last season with us we need to find a replacement for the former. Like others I remain to be convinced about Maddison and Pritchard in the same team, it shows real intent but does seem to slow down our attacking at times- the only time we looked a threat last night was when Murphy or Lewis ran at them, or in behind, usually from a ball from M or P. Of course if the money is right for either (£15m + surely?) we may not have the problem to worry about after January. Let’s just hope we keep at least one of them.

Defensively solid with the 3 CBs never really troubled and the two dcms playiing well, Tetteys presences certainly brings the best out of our TT. Gunn oozed class and confidence and Zimmermann appears significantly better against better players.

Still need to get players forward faster and we didnt trouble Caballero. What is it with our strikers not getting half chances on target? Josh worked well and linked up play better than Oliveira has done for weeks, which probably says more about Nelson than josh, but I think he did enough to keep Nelson on the bench this coming weekend.

The same formation with Pinto / Lewis providing earlier width and the pace of that front three could prove effective against significnatly less able midfields and defenders than Rudiger Luis & Zapacosta.

Glimmers of hope and progress

Still surprised of the number of people who saw this as a quality performance. I actually watched the game on TV. No real pace or enthusiasm from either side and yes our seven man defence should have looked solid against a half hearted Chelsea side. My main point is there is no quality moving forward. We never made a pass which took out a defender or broke the defensive line across the pitch. No player took any responsibility and just simply made a short pass to a colleague already closely marked. We never remotely created a scoring chance. I think the total lack of atmosphere at recent home games sums up in a nutshell what supporters think of this present team.

Note sure what people were expecting to be honest, up against a team full of internationals without our two centre forwards. Thought we acquitted ourselves well and as much as people say how poor Chelsea were I thought we stopped them playing well to an extent.

We have to be pleased with the clean sheet but it''s no secret that we don''t have a particularly sharp cutting edge and that was evident again yesterday.

So probably not a ''quality'' performance but not a bad one either in the circumstances, and one that deserves credit.

As I said yesterday, a striking difference of opinion between those who were there and those watching TV.

I think most people can work out the two very different reasons neither Nelson or Cameron started yesterday, so I have no grievances there (Jerome is obviously off, and quite rightly, DF wants to protect Nelson for the league - and I have no doubts his goal scoring form WILL return). And regardless, to hold the current Premier League champions and exact same line up that beat Stoke 5-0 in the league last weekend, is commendable. Not the greatest match to watch, but we were solid, and I think DF is a better manager than most give him credit for. I hope we keep him as I believe he’ll prove to be very good in time. All in all, a good result and I look forward to the replay. OTBC

Alex wrote the following post at 07/01/2018 3:18 PM:

I think most people can work out the two very different reasons neither Nelson or Cameron started yesterday, so I have no grievances there (Jerome is obviously off, and quite rightly, DF wants to protect Nelson for the league - and I have no doubts his goal scoring form WILL return). And regardless, to hold the current Premier League champions and exact same line up that beat Stoke 5-0 in the league last weekend, is commendable. Not the greatest match to watch, but we were solid, and I think DF is a better manager than most give him credit for. I hope we keep him as I believe he’ll prove to be very good in time. All in all, a good result and I look forward to the replay. OTBC

Only 4 players started yesterday that started against Stoke.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"][quote user="Icecream Snow"]Even I bothered to watch the highlights, instead of looking at the statistics on the BBC website.Josh has got pace, but really lacks awareness of what''s going on around him. [/quote]Completely agree Ice Cream, there was one incident in particular when Pritchard was in an excellent position and Josh shot at goal from a very tricky angle instead of laying it off. exciting runs but very little decent end product.[/quote]If you look at the replay the Chelsea defender had the pull back covered, leaving Josh the only option of going for goal frpm a tight angle.

@Alex
"DF wants to protect Nelson for the league"
Alternatively, a great opportunity to have Murphy put all that coaching on playing centrally into effect.   

JF - was just going by what I was told by a Chelsea supporter, but you’re right, I realise that it couldn’t have been the case as David Luiz was making his first appearance for X amount of time. Nevertheless, Chelsea have the resources to buy pretty much who they want so no shame in us getting a draw, indeed on another day we might have nicked it.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]@Alex
"DF wants to protect Nelson for the league"
Alternatively, a great opportunity to have Murphy put all that coaching on playing centrally into effect.   
[/quote]

Yep, no complaints from me there, he’s generally a pretty good finisher so it’ll be interesting to see how that pans out should he get more game time as a striker. Farke said after the game that he was protecting Nelson as much as possible because of the upcoming Bristol City game.

Trouble is, who makes way for Oliveira? I hope we don''t return to a back four just to accommodate him.

We looked a lot more solid at the back yesterday and scoring has been a problem all season and I don''t think Oliveira will cure it.