Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

For anyone into stats and interpretation

Cant make clicky on phone but as of the end of the year...

https://experimental361.com/2017/12/31/scatter-graphics-championship-31-dec-2017/

Good read at the least.

It is interesting.

I''d love to see some form of breakdown of where our shots are coming from. I feel like our slow build up play leads to quite a few ''hit and hope'' types when we can''t break a team down.

Norwich have taken the 2nd highest number of shots in the league; 364. 47% of these shots have come from outside the box - the 2nd highest percentage (Leeds have the highest).

I don''t think anyone who has watched Norwich will be surprised about this, Maddison, Nelson, Murphy and now Pritchard all like a shot from outside the box and they all often take shots when retaining possession and working a better chance would probably be the better option.

For those into "Expected Goals" Norwich have the 15th highest combined total in the league - which considering the sheer amount of shots shows how poor the location of those shots are.

I''m surprised that Farke, who talks about wanting to maintain possession allows such reckless shooting.

Is it because those players shoot when they shouldn''t or is it because of frustration with the lack of better chances created?

I remember some being happy with the Sunderland performance due to us having more shots than them and loads of the ball but as many pointed out none of the shots were being worked into decent positions because we were playing slow, sideways football in-front of a packed defense.

Shooting from distance is fine when the situation warrants it. Either a clear opening to shoot, no other options on the cards, or when you are through on goal of course and it''s the clearest option.

The figures suggest a lot of those shots are indeed in frustration. Our biggest problem is working the ball into positions to make a credible goal threat, which when you are fielding three talented creative midfielders makes absolutely no sense but that''s why we are where we are in the league. Goals win games and we have simply not scored enough of them.

IMO The slow build up doesn''t help either, it pulls players like Oliviera deeper and deeper to get the ball. As the stats suggest, this makes our attack lose its focal point and we end up shooting from distance rather than working the ball through to goal.

It is hard to tell these players to stop shooting from distance though, Madders, Murphy, Pritchard and Oliveira are all capable of scoring from distance.

I don''t buy the ''frustration'' or slow build up arguments personally.

Norwich have taken more shots than anyone in the league, apart from Brentford. The sheer volume of shots does not suggest a slow build-up - teams with slow build up don''t hit 14 shots per game on average. If the players are shooting out of frustration, then they get frustrated very quickly.

I buy it as I see it with my own eyes.

We took a total of 39 shots in the two games against Sunderland and Hull- both games where slow, sideways passing was the order of the day. We took 25 alone against Hull.

Thank you Hogesar - very interesting!Not sure if some of the comments are based on having read the article which concludes that long-range shooting was one of the two most optimal options. "Much to my amazement, the choice of shooting was actually the joint

most efficient attacking option for the player in possession to take.
I had certainly expected that a forward central pass would be one of

the more efficient attacking options, but due to the lowly 3% success

rate of shooting from this area I had expect shots to appear much

further down the table."For those of you with a statistical bent, the null hypothesis was that there would be no difference in net conversion rates - this was rejected - "
we have demonstrated that shots from outside the penalty area are just

as efficient as forward central passes, and more efficient than the

other possible options."The analysis would suggest more shots would produce more goals - certainly in preference to a backward or wing pass.1. The options and those chosen:
Totals2. The number of goals scoredConv

Johan Cruyff: "Coincidence is logical. If I kick the ball on goal from 30 meters, I''ll probably not score. If I do that 20 times in a match, the chances are high that one of the 20 balls will go in."

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]take on only 5% !  My, how the game''s changed !  [/quote] More importantly, look at the figures for wing passes and goals scored therefrom. And we still have posters on here regularly bemoaning a lack of traditional wing play and insisting the answer to our problems is to get the ball wide and put in a cross .........

Re wing play, someone posted a very interesting link on here recently about a German team''s tactics (old age memory failure! [:''(]) which made the point that playing the ball to the wings is not a great option because the next move can only be inside and is therefore more predictable - hence the channel inside (is this the 3/4 channel?) is better - reminded me about my dad talking about inside forwards and inside halfs. [:)]

This is the sort of play that Gergen pressing is designed to stop nonetheless in the final third wing play is highly desirable indeed some of the reasons we are shooting from range besides slow build and transitions mentioned by other posters is due to not getting enough penetrative runs out wide in the final third that would set up shooting opportunities in the box. Statistically we should expect 1 goal for every 9 shots. Incidentally we have started to rid ourselves of Alex Neil’s lack of through ball. Interestingly Leicester City when they won the Prem were number1 for this stat. Our attacking play is a work in progress. More through balls more penetrating wing play and faster transitions please. Easy to say but all difficult to do in a league like this especially against well drilled sides playing two defensive mids.

[quote user=" Badger"]Re wing play, someone posted a very interesting link on here recently about a German team''s tactics (old age memory failure! [:''(]) which made the point that playing the ball to the wings is not a great option because the next move can only be inside and is therefore more predictable - hence the channel inside (is this the 3/4 channel?) is better - reminded me about my dad talking about inside forwards and inside halfs. [:)][/quote]
To paraphrase the section you refer to: "The wide spaces bordering the touchline, where possible directions of play are restricted to 180°, generally offer least in the way of strategic value. The limiting presence of the touchline makes it very easy for the opposition to press the ball, which is why the majority of pressing traps are executed in the wide areas. With play at the extreme left or right of the pitch, access to other areas, especially horizontally distant ones, becomes considerably more difficult. And in the final third, few means of penetrating from wide are efficient compared to thrusts from the centre or half-spaces."
The author "TP" is actually a Huddersfield fan,Tom Payne (@tompayneftbl); the strained use of English presumably derives from it being translated back from the German version. 
The final sentence bears directly on Bonzo''s subsequent post, advocating, quote, more penetrating runs out wide in the final third. In point of fact "penetrating runs out wide in the final third" is an oxymoron. You don''t "penetrate" anywhere running along the touchline.