Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Performances against watford

What a bizarre game. The first half was appaling- I never want to see City play with so little passion again. Every player would get 3 on first half performance. Second half we looked great. If we had done that for 90 we would have won, what IS going on? So the overalls are low. 

Green - 6

His shot stopping is great- but his distribution was woeful last night. Every boot up feild seemd to go off for a throw.

Drury - 5

Did not do anything I particularly remember and lost possesion easily a couple of times.

Fleming - 4

Was totally at fault for the first goal. He is past it due to an horrific lack of pace. How he stayed on left me bemused??!!

Shacks - 6

Made a few basic errors but totally outshone Fleming in the first half. Should have remianed with Davenport. (That would have been a great combo)

Colin - 6

He covered a lot of grass and looks very good going forward. Not so hot in defence. I think he would do better in midfield.

Safri - 7

Bit small to boss the midfield at times. But by far our most consistent performer.

Hughes- 6

Didn''t look sharp last night. Made a couple of howling shots.

Marney - 5/6

Strange player. His shot led to our goal. He was the only creative option at times. But does not get stuck in. Doesn''t seem interested enough. Missed THE opportunity to equalise- but sent it hopelessly wide

Ashton - 6

Nearly saved our blushes. Tirelessly working hard- but having to drfit wide in search of the ball. Not his best game.  

Lisbie - 6

Scored a sitter- but didn''t hit it that cleanly. Had a lot of energy. Could be good for us

Davenport - 8

I thought he looked great. He came on and sorted the defence. He was shouting, pointing and actually WANTED the ball. His touch was good. I was very impressed. (But why he played with Flem Worthy only knows)

McVeigh - 7

Deserved the start ahead of Lisbie. Put a lot of effort in. Solid secodn half.

Doc - 6

Did fine in limited time he was on. Made me laugh by  spinning on ball in opponents area- he had NO idea of where it was at any point!! - but nearly got somthing. 

Agree with some of yours Vic, but disagree with others.

Green - 5.  Dire kicking, weak hands for their second goal. Can''t expect to make the England squad on this form.

Colin - 6.  Proved most of the threat on the right. Gets caught in no-mans land too often, needs a teammate to look after him

Shackell - 6.  Won everything in the air. Gave away the ball for a possible 3rd, only to see King hit the post.

Fleming - 5.  Skinned a few times in the first half. Improved with the game.

Drury - 5.  Another player who improved with the game. Just not strong enough sometimes.

Marney - 6.  Solid second half performance, assist for the goal. Unlucky not to score himself. Finds himself drawn to the middle to often, perhaps 4-3-3 is the way to go??

Hughes - 6.  Showed passion, will be an asset for the club. Gets forward well, without ever looking threatening.

Safri - 6.  Sparked a minor brawl. Typical tidy display from the clubs'' in form midfielder.

Brennan - 5.  Gave away the ball far too often.

Ashton - 6.  Had a real battle against Carlisle, and lost. Showed a few glimpses of what he can do.

Lisbie - 7.  Fed off scraps. Looks dangerous going forward, took his goal well.

Davenport - 8.  Can''t fault the lad, looks a superb signing.

McVeigh - 7.  Must have felt bitter at being dropped, played well and should see him re-instated for Ipswich.

Doherty - 6.  The Ginger Pele bamboozled 2 defenders with an array of talents. Looked a threat in the air.

Painful match to sit through, and despite our efforts in the second half, overall it was an appalling performance against a very average team.

Green - 5

Can''t remember him being tested too much but as you say the distribution was terrible.  Needs to command his defence more.

Drury - 2

He is quite possibly the worst passer of the ball I''ve ever had the opportunity to witness.  He constantly puts us back under pressure by giving the ball straight back to the opposition.  Did no closing down all night and gave their winger way too much space.  Shocking performance.

Fleming - 3

Couldn''t agree more. His pace was a joke against their quick players, and generally did nothing to contribute the whole match.

Shacks - 5

Did his best to constantly clear the danger but with no support from Fleming and Drury struggled the whole half.

Colin - 4

Defensively embarrassing and failed to clear to most weakest of attacks.  However did constantly provide space on the right when going forward - just a shame he did nothing with the ball once passed to him.

Safri - 8

Worked his nuts off in midfield and rarely gave it away. Solid performance I reckon.

Hughes- 6

Did little to impress.

Marney - 6

Flashes that he might do something good but his balls in the box were never dangerous enough.

Brennan - 4

Did he do anything?

Ashton - 6/7

Frustrating game for him.  Constantly had to come out of position to try create something. Tried hard though

Lisbie - 7

Worked as hard as anyone on the pitch and caused a few problems as a result.

Davenport - 8

Great half from the new boy.  Looked solid, great aerial ability, and even had plenty of pace.  Let''s hope he starts from now on.

McVeigh - 6

Made little effect I thought although prvided another attacking option I suppose.

Doc - 5

No idea why they brought him on, and then played him at right back, but tried hard none the less.

Yoicks! I only popped on to see how Marney & Davenport got on.

One of our guys went to the Watford game, plus I''ve been to a couple of Watford games this season. Watford are something of a revelation - I thought they''d be going down this year but they''ve been adventurous & dynamic, only seen the goals on the box but they were tremendous. I wouldn''t be too mortified by losing that game though I haven''t seen your others this year.

He felt as an outsider that Marney was very disappointing compared to what we''ve seen of him. Davenport did well but could only have looked good compared to the Norwich defence beforehand that couldn''t deal with high balls to Young & King. Green had a bit of a mare, and Ashton was clearly dreadfully frustrated.

It''s interesting that the first message said that Marney seemed disinterested because that''s the one thing I wouldn''t have expected from him. Not surprised he''s drawn to the middle either - he was originally a RB for us but in his couple of appearances in the first team at RM he did drift inside.

Thanks for the external comments - always interesting to hear others views as you can get a tad myopic watcing the same stuff week in week out. 

Have not seen davenport yet but he seems to have made a good impression yesterday while I have been disappointed in marney - not a patch on bentley I''m afraid .

He looks far better when playing in the middle when his passing is distinctly better as he has more options.   He looks like a player who wants to be involved but he strikes me as being a player who has a lot of learning about football to do and playing in a struggling side cannot help.

Linked , tenously, to marney I find it interesting that apart from Robbo all the comments on this site (not just thispost) about Hughes performance are very similar to marneys, around being ineffective and wasteful with the ball and only slightly better in the second half - yet our lap dog local journos have the MOTM award to either Marney or Hughes, adams goes one way and Waghorn the other.  More messages from NW  being conveyed as usual. (Yes - I know I have a morbid interest in him, but I always have with poor players;   unlike some I will admit when I am wriong and admit when I havea  bias!)

OTBC

Just for those who weren''t there lets try to bring some balance to this, especially as on the box you''ll see Flem exposed for the first goal. Overall, in the first half, with his tackling & passing he was the only defender to come out of it with ANY credit so no suprise that he stayed on. And in the 2nd half no goals conceded so where although these silly markings have come from I just don''t know. Yes, our defence was woeful in the first half but I suggest some fans should try to see what''s happening rather than what they would like to think is happening. With the back 4 we had in the 2nd half we''ll be OK 

[quote]Just for those who weren''t there lets try to bring some balance to this, especially as on the box you''ll see Flem exposed for the first goal. Overall, in the first half, with his tackling & passin...[/quote]

Good to see some balance in there bob but the criticism of flem goes well beyond a game or two;  the rot started over two years ago, got papered over when hux focusd team on defending him rather than attacking us and were highlighted very early on last year. 

I also have to losten to vicar and robbo and the other posters who were all at the game and the best review he gets is that he was better in the second half (as jas points out when watford ahd already won the game) but was no better but genrally worse than shacks in the first.

The issue is not Flem - it is Worthy organising the defence and getting a leader in - if davenport can do that with Flem then I will be happy.  Our squad has clean sheets in them, worthy has to stop fiddling and change the system or personnel to make them happen.

OTBC

My 5th post and someone''s responded to it. That''s a first for me, my confidence is up, perhaps I''m on a run now . . . but then again I thought that about the boys after Saturday. Anyway, thanks Zipper, now I know I don''t need a funny name, a funny picture, and a funny motto to get a response  . . . but, come to think of it, how does one download a picture (I''m b......d if I can find out)?  

I''d have to say that Fleming always plays to his best, but sometimes its just not enough. I still feel that we are missing a leader in the team. Fleming perhaps needs to relinquish the captaincy and concentrate on his own game??

What worries me, and has done throughout the season, is that we create very little.  Bar their goal, their Keeper had one save to make last night, yes one. Flicking over Marneys header near the end of the game. That simply is not good enough. Even against Plymouth we created little chances. No-one has a dig from range except from Ashton, looked what happened when someone had a go - Keeper made a harsh of a shot from Marney and Lisbie was alert to knock the ball in

[quote]My 5th post and someone''s responded to it. That''s a first for me, my confidence is up, perhaps I''m on a run now . . . but then again I thought that about the boys after Saturday. Anyway, thanks Zipper...[/quote]

Keep the posts coming bob - the more people that share their views the better informed we will all be - especially if the view is outside the sheep mentality norm.

I have steered clear of the graphics etc as I dont have the know how but it hasnt stopped people responding to me - cant imagine why.

There is only opinion - none right or wrong - enjoy!

OTBC