Sign in to follow this  
Back of the net!

What will the squad resemble at the start of next season and other bits and pieces...................

Evening all,

I don''t usually post on here but what has happened over the past 48hrs has me concerned.

Selling Pritchard in this window was the wrong decision for a number of reasons. Despite NCFC being well off the pace and consistency to string a succession of results together the play offs were a possible (an extremely unlikely possibility!)

We should have played hardball the guy is under contract and despite his lofty ambitions to play in the premier league (albeit Huddersfield) we should have held out until the end of the season. That is of course unless supporters are being fed bull5h1t . No need to sell? Then give me one good reason why we sold him? A lucrative profit? it''s difficult to discuss fees when they''re undisclosed but if I''m a betting man it will eventually be in excess of £10m - a good return for a player we paid in the region of £5m for and apparently haven''t triggered any of his add ons. Which makes me think was he close to reaching one of the terms for an add on - hence the January sale?? Which then becomes a balancing act of is it worth selling now or in the future - either way we deserve an explanation. Personally I would have waited until the end of the season. A bit of a gamble but I''m confident that a couple of teams in the summer would be interested in him hopefully pushing up his price.

I''m also concerned what message we are sending out to rival teams. I appreciate everyone has a price but Pritchards valuation hasn''t really met with the fans expectations. Realistically you have to use the Murphy deal to Newcastle as the yard stick. If the reported 13m is true I would value Pritchard above that. I appreciate us fans don''t hold much weight in these situations but I think we can tell if we are being robbed!

This evening the reports are that Nelson could be on his way out too?!? Another plausible rumour and why the hell wouldn''t he want to leave?

Okay so this is a bit of a drunken friday night rant but realistically what will our squad resemble next season? I also expect the following to leave before next season starts:

Klose

Pinto

Tettey

Trybull (may not wish to renew his contract)

Maddison

Oliveira

Jerome

Murphy

Naismith

Martin

Any one else care to add to my rant?

Starting xi''s for next season anyone??

Gunn

Matthews

Pinto

ANother RB

Hanley

Zimmermann

Ragget

Lewis

Husband

Stiepermann

Trybull

Godfrey

Vrancic

New AM

New AM

Watkins

New wide player

New wide player

New striker

New striker

Plus two or three up from the development squad.

You can see from that, that the defence and defensive midfield is pretty well established from this season so the development will be mainly up front. Interesting times.

Also, possibly having sold  Klose (£4m?) Maddison (£18m?) Martin (£1m)?Josh  (£12m?)Oliveira (£8m?) and of course Pritchard (£14m)  thus reducing wages considerably and netting maybe in the region of £57m. As there is no debt to speak of and wages will be sustainable from income, much of that money can be spent on new players.  Maybe six or seven young players at £5-6m each which in turn gives us some money left over to spend on Colney. Simpistic? Maybe, but not unreasonable.  

Why do you think that Gunn will be here when he isn’t even our player?

Six or seven young players at £5 or £6 million! Head firmly in the sand there....

[quote user="JF"]Six or seven young players at £5 or £6 million! Head firmly in the sand there....[/quote]Why? If we sell the players I mention there will be money to spend. There may be a £7m overdraft that needs to be paid off, but aoart from that there is no other debt. Also, it is quite possible Gunn will stay for another season.

There is no way that this club are in a position to go out and spend £35 million on players. If those players are promising youngsters as you say, then they will command significantly higher wages than we can offer. As for Gunn, that’s completely up in the air and we can’t plan for that

[quote user="JF"]There is no way that this club are in a position to go out and spend £35 million on players. If those players are promising youngsters as you say, then they will command significantly higher wages than we can offer. As for Gunn, that’s completely up in the air and we can’t plan for that[/quote]The richer clubs will be under pressure to buy in established players for their squads and there will always be young players looking for a good club to develop their careers - and Norwich, believe it or not, is a good club. 

Are you being serious LDC. Every club in the country is always on the look out for young upcoming talent. It’s why scouts from Liverpool and othe PL clubs have been watching Maddison, They hoover up any talent that they believe has potential. We were incredibly lucky to get Maddison and whoever pulled it off deserves praise for that. Your perfect vision of us buying up the country’s hottest young talent, paying them less than they can earn elsewhere and then selling on at massive profit, then repeat cycle again is pie in the sky nonsense

I know what you are trying to say LDC but it is easy to speculate and then draw up a list.

Interesting but maybe not realistic.

We should be looking to bring in younger players with futures for £1M not £6M. If they are worth that much already then they will be on too many other radars.

And if we are really in transition then we should be nurturing what we have and gently easing them into the first team squad as well.

[quote user="JF"]Are you being serious LDC. Every club in the country is always on the look out for young upcoming talent. It’s why scouts from Liverpool and othe PL clubs have been watching Maddison, They hoover up any talent that they believe has potential. We were incredibly lucky to get Maddison and whoever pulled it off deserves praise for that. Your perfect vision of us buying up the country’s hottest young talent, paying them less than they can earn elsewhere and then selling on at massive profit, then repeat cycle again is pie in the sky nonsense[/quote]Of course every club is on the lookout for players, but you underestimate what we can bring in - we are an attractive club and will sill be able to get good youngsters in.  We are - and always have been - in a food chain, all that has happened is that we can''t buy in ready made players at a big cost.

The defensive side of the ball looks solid even going into next season with Klose probably leaving.

A back 4 on Pinto, Raggatt, Hanley and Lewis looks good, as does Trybull and Godfrey in central midfield.

However if Maddison, Nelson and Jerome have all gone along with Wes heading out on a free transfer then we''re going to need some serious investment going forward.

A new winger, a new attacking midfielder and a minimum of two new strikers will not come cheap.

Unfortunately I suspect that for the foreseeable future we’ll be seeing loanees, freebies and unknown potential players coming in.

If all the talk is true about the need to tidy up all that has gone on previously I suspect we will be saying goodbye to Pinto, Klose, Madders, Murphy, Oliviera and Jerome either this or the summer transfer windows.

Get rid of players who don''t want to be here, they are no use to us. Maybe they are not as good as they think think they are anway looking at our league position. (Maddsion excepted on that one)We need 11 players on the pitch playing for each other and the club and not themselves. The best seasons are always those where we make our own stars and not buy them from elsewhere at big prices.

Adding to that though we do seem to have some ‘talent’ that needs nurturing in the u23’s.

Cantwell looks like he has potential as does Phillips, drone hat I saw last night Aarons and of course Middleton.

Can’t comment on Abrahams and Fonkeu as not seen enough of them but maybe we need to throw them in.

Morris will have a big part to play next season for us as will Godfrey and the game time they are getting at Shrewsbury is great for them. A friend is a Shrewsbury season ticket holder and he loves both of them.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Also, possibly having sold  Klose (£4m?) Maddison (£18m?) Martin (£1m)?Josh  (£12m?)Oliveira (£8m?) and of course Pritchard (£14m)  thus reducing wages considerably and netting maybe in the region of £57m. As there is no debt to speak of and wages will be sustainable from income, much of that money can be spent on new players.  Maybe six or seven young players at £5-6m each which in turn gives us some money left over to spend on Colney. Simpistic? Maybe, but not unreasonable.  [/quote]

LDC - based on the simple loss of the £31m parachute payment down to c£7m for championship clubs we have to lower out outgoings by c£24m to break even. That is £480k a week in wages to lose or a combination is needed of wages drop and player sales.

I agree that if somehow we were able to get Naismith, martin, klose, Pritchard, Jerome, hoolahan, Tettey and oliveria of the wage bill (and ideally McGovern and Jarvis) off the wage bill then we may have shifted £250k -£300k of the gap but that still leaves a year on year gap of c£10m to fund remaining wages without any new players.

Of course we will have c20-25m in players sales by shifting that lot which will fill the gap for a period but we will effectively have to run a model where we bring in potential and try and sell atleast one asset a year to fund the wage gap. So I can''t see the big outlay your suggesting unfortunately.

[quote user="Big O"][quote user="lake district canary"]Also, possibly having sold  Klose (£4m?) Maddison (£18m?) Martin (£1m)?Josh  (£12m?)Oliveira (£8m?) and of course Pritchard (£14m)  thus reducing wages considerably and netting maybe in the region of £57m. As there is no debt to speak of and wages will be sustainable from income, much of that money can be spent on new players.  Maybe six or seven young players at £5-6m each which in turn gives us some money left over to spend on Colney. Simpistic? Maybe, but not unreasonable.  [/quote]

LDC - based on the simple loss of the £31m parachute payment down to c£7m for championship clubs we have to lower out outgoings by c£24m to break even. That is £480k a week in wages to lose or a combination is needed of wages drop and player sales.

I agree that if somehow we were able to get Naismith, martin, klose, Pritchard, Jerome, hoolahan, Tettey and oliveria of the wage bill (and ideally McGovern and Jarvis) off the wage bill then we may have shifted £250k -£300k of the gap but that still leaves a year on year gap of c£10m to fund remaining wages without any new players.

Of course we will have c20-25m in players sales by shifting that lot which will fill the gap for a period but we will effectively have to run a model where we bring in potential and try and sell atleast one asset a year to fund the wage gap. So I can''t see the big outlay your suggesting unfortunately.[/quote]

That is fair.  However, my figures still allow for subsidising wages, at

least in the first year. Thereafter, we would - as we always have done -

need to sell on a player or two.  Just on Pritchard (£14m) and guessing Josh (£12m), Oliveira (£8m), Klose (£4m) Maddison (£18m) - in player sales would yield £56m.  Even if as you say we would need £10m to subsidise the wages next season and paid off the overdraft of £7m and spent £5m on Colney, that still would leave a £34m over for buying players.

All these figures being banded about makes me wonder how other clubs keep going. Yes the owners may bale them out but we’re talking millions and not all clubs have billionaire owners. Are we paying our players way over the average ?

[quote user="CANARYKING"]All these figures being banded about makes me wonder how other clubs keep going. Yes the owners may bale them out but we’re talking millions and not all clubs have billionaire owners. Are we paying our players way over the average ?[/quote]Our wage bill last year was the second highest ever (at that point) in the championship and double the average championship level. We were one of a number of clubs that performed badly with very high wage costs - success with a high spend is far from automatic, despite what you may be told by some on here.http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/record-wage-bill-reliance-on-premier-league-tv-money-and-23m-to-pay-in-promotion-bonuses-what-accounts-reveal-about-norwich-city-1-5261729

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Big O"][quote user="lake district canary"]Also, possibly having sold  Klose (£4m?) Maddison (£18m?) Martin (£1m)?Josh  (£12m?)Oliveira (£8m?) and of course Pritchard (£14m)  thus reducing wages considerably and netting maybe in the region of £57m. As there is no debt to speak of and wages will be sustainable from income, much of that money can be spent on new players.  Maybe six or seven young players at £5-6m each which in turn gives us some money left over to spend on Colney. Simpistic? Maybe, but not unreasonable.  [/quote]

Of course we will have c20-25m in players sales by shifting that lot which will fill the gap for a period but we will effectively have to run a model where we bring in potential and try and sell atleast one asset a year to fund the wage gap. So I can''t see the big outlay your suggesting unfortunately.[/quote]

need to sell on a player or two.  Just on Pritchard (£14m) and guessing Josh (£12m), Oliveira (£8m), Klose (£4m) Maddison (£18m) - in player sales would yield £56m.  Even if as you say we would need £10m to subsidise the wages next season and paid off the overdraft of £7m and spent £5m on Colney, that still would leave a £34m over for buying players.

[/quote]

But don''t forget any player you buy, his wages will add to the size of the in year gap - hence lower wages for all new players limiting the type of player you can target.

[quote user="Big O"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Big O"][quote user="lake district canary"]Also, possibly having sold  Klose (£4m?) Maddison (£18m?) Martin (£1m)?Josh  (£12m?)Oliveira (£8m?) and of course Pritchard (£14m)  thus reducing wages considerably and netting maybe in the region of £57m. As there is no debt to speak of and wages will be sustainable from income, much of that money can be spent on new players.  Maybe six or seven young players at £5-6m each which in turn gives us some money left over to spend on Colney. Simpistic? Maybe, but not unreasonable.  [/quote]

[/quote]

But don''t forget any player you buy, his wages will add to the size of the in year gap - hence lower wages for all new players limiting the type of player you can target.[/quote]

True, but depending on the model the club chooses to follow - using player sales to pay higher wages to keep higher quality players, or to pay transfer fees for players and pay less wages overall, then that money from selling players is being put to good use.  I guess the model will be somwhere in the middle - keep a core of expeeienced well paid players and supplement that with young players at whatever we can afford.

If you think we would get £18m for Maddison then your deluded.

£4m for Klose, probably half of that.

We wont get a fee for Martin.