Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Steven Naismith

Hardly surprising, if he goes there on a free, what we have to pay him in terms of the rest of his contract will more than make up for what he''d be ''losing'' between now and May at Rangers.Well over half a million quid probably.Stephen, agree to leave here for nothing as well then maybe the clubs will talk!

*Hell, I''ve assumed he''s out of contract at the end of this season but its next, isn''t it?Make that around £2 million then?

For once I agree with you Paul.

Most likely he means he won''t want a penny from Rangers, if Norwich agree to pay off the 18 months on his contract.

Hopefully Norwich and Rangers (or anyone) will be able to come to some agreement where Naismith goes on loan/free but Norwich aren''t liable for all his wages.

Must go down as the worst ever Norwich City transfer sadly.

Preston beware, give Alex Neil control of your transfers at your peril.

Yep, I''d say worst ever.

At least with Ricky we were able to ship him out on loan twice, seems like nobody will touch Naismith though.

We were also linked with Kilmarnock''s Jordan Jones which could be another avenue for punting Naismith.http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/norwich-jump-ahead-rangers-race-11810200Apples

Sadly he''s been a disaster buy. Had great hopes for him and thought he would prove himself this season, with some battles on display. Clearly Farke doesn''t think too highly of him, or he would''ve been involved over the festive period. Can''t blame him for wanting to leave.

With an honours degree in hindsight all these duff transfers wouldn''t happen but it''s a risk whoever you buy.If we''re honest we were all very excited when the RVW signing finally went through. Maybe a little less so when we eventually got Naismith but I don''t remember many people saying that would all end in tears.To give it balance the Maddison and Pritchard purchases were anything but shabby.Some you win, some you lose.....

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]With an honours degree in hindsight all these duff transfers wouldn''t happen but it''s a risk whoever you buy.If we''re honest we were all very excited when the RVW signing finally went through. Maybe a little less so when we eventually got Naismith but I don''t remember many people saying that would all end in tears.To give it balance the Maddison and Pritchard purchases were anything but shabby.Some you win, some you lose.....

[/quote]

Don''t give any credit to AN for Pritchard and Maddison. He didn''t play them.

Had he done so last season, we''d have probably been promoted.

Spot on there, it''s easy to say now that the transfer was a disaster but that is only with the benefit of perfect hindsight - no one was saying it was a poor transfer when he made his debut - and you can''t really blame Neil for that (nor the legacy of players he wanted/we needed to shift on but couldn''t) . I doubt Naismith himself is too pleased, either, at how it''s panned out as he''s a decent player but it just hasn''t worked out.

Re the financial elements and contract length you''re a bit damned if you do and damned if you don''t: sign a player for only a short spell and it opens you up to criticism if it goes well and he leaves, similarly if you sign someone longer and it doesn''t. The simple fact is that at all clubs sometimes it works out in your favour and sometimes it doesn''t.

The only way I can see this happening is him agreeing to terminate his contract for a set fee and then going to Rangers. No point us paying him up in full.

If he’s that keen to play then he should agree to terminate his contract (without us paying up in full) and he can go and play for whoever he wants.

[quote user="king canary"]The only way I can see this happening is him agreeing to terminate his contract for a set fee and then going to Rangers. No point us paying him up in full.[/quote]Not sure what you men there.  As he is under contract to us, if he wants to go, it means his contract can be cancelled for no fee.  If there is any fee to pay, it would be by Rangers in the form of a transfer fee.  Or maybe I misunderstand it.

What he means is that Norwich and Naismith come to an agreement to pay off his contract early, but not for a full amount. That would then leave Naismith free to sign for someone else and Norwich wouldn''t be liable for the full 18 months worth of wages.

That or a loan are pretty much the only way he is ever going.

Yep. As even if we tell Rangers they can have him for nothing they won''t be able to pay him close to his current salary. So he''s unlikely to walk away from probably the most lucrative contract he could possibly get nowadays without some form of payout.

However let''s say the rest of his contract is worth £1.5m and we agree to pay him £800,000 to terminate it early, it might be worth doing to save that £700,000k.

I said at the time Naismith was a bizarre signing. Ridiculous move and another colossal error by our board that we’re paying for heavily atm.

Which scouts who must have watched him a dozen plus times decided he was worth 9 million

Still have no idea what position he is supposed to play in

He never wanted to come here.

He never wanted to be here.

We threw ridiculous money at a bang average player.

Another huge cock up from the grossly mismanaged 15/16 season. Although not surprising with our BoD.

The man responsible for negotiating transfers was sacked a few months after Naismith signed Hoola Han Solo.

Sure you probably know that at the time, apart from McNally, the board had little/no dealings with transfers. But guess you want to grind the axe anyway.

I was just troublemaking, I was aware our head of recruitment was let go the next summer. The transfer was mainly down to the sheer determination of Alex Neil to get him. Unfortunately I don’t think he ever wanted to come, and therefore we offered him a Very over the top contract that has proven to be a huge financial burden and problem ever since.

It would have been McNally that negotiated to deal to bring him, although that would have been on Alex Neil''s insistence.

After a collection of bad decisions you can see why Norwich decided the Sporting Director route was the better one.

[quote]

Don''t give any credit to AN for Pritchard and Maddison. He didn''t play them.

Had he done so last season, we''d have probably been promoted [/quote]He was a manager know up at Hamilton for youth development so brought in a lot of younger players(Canos, Godfrey) for the squads future and gave the Murphys their first team action. Resulting in a 12.5 mil transfer for one. He had his squad of seasoned players and went for them instead, but I do agree Pritchard could have been given some game time, however we were scoring for fun that season and it was the defense that was the problem so maybe he was happy with what he had.

Get the impression that Naismith is a decent bloke but has been a crap signing for us and as has been said, did not want to be here. You can not blame the guy for wanting a large part of his contract paid up as this was his last big move.

It was the stupid decision to buy him that deserves our anger. I doubt I''d walk away from a job if I was on such high wages, even if people did say I was no longer needed... as for Matt Jarvis.....

Dreadful signing, but surely Matt Jarvis must go down as our worst ever signing?! Player with known injury record, who has since been permanently injured?

@Kiwiscot

Players like Godfrey and Maddison were apparently signed by Ricky Martin as he was in charge of recruitment for youth teams etc.

the scouts at Norwich at the time were very good but it is the manager who decided which ones to buy

they had lists of targets and AN picked who he wanted

so not to much of the blame lays with the scouts we had they found a lot of gems along the way Pritchard maddision and godfrey and a lot more that were not signed i imagine

Think how well it all started though. Debut goal and leading against Liverpool, had we seen that game out we might have go on to win a few more and stay up. That game really was a knock out blow.

Naismith is/was a decent player. But not right for us. He got the plaudits at Everton for working his socks off, which made him stand out at a time when they had some very good technical players. At the time of him signing, we had plenty of work rate and endeavour, just lacked the quality.

Mbokani needed someone with creativity and pace to work from... Alex Pritchard would have been perfect.

Agree with Lincoln. Thinking of that day 2 years ago this month when Naisy and Timm were both rolled out together and Timm saying how Naismith ran around on the training ground like a madman. Great banter between them that day. How fortunes have gone so differently for them. Timm started off in a defence of old aged guys  clearly past their best in Martin, Bassong, Bennett and Whitts and now has Zimbo, Hanley and Raggett, had to personally adjust from the Prem into  the Champs arena and for me has been worth every penny of the money we paid for him. Agree to that Naismith has to still be a decent player but for whatever reasons it just never worked out for him here. Really hope that his situation is sorted out asap which is in the best interests of him and our club.

Klose has proven to be a decent but no spectacular central defender at Championship level (and that was after being awful for a season), so I don''t think he''s been worth every penny of the reported £9m we spent on him.