Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

"season is over anyway" now just 6 points from playoffs

Ricky, how realistic did you feel it would be to be promoted from the Champs under Lambert, the season after our L1 campaign?

Strange things happen...

Ian

The thing is that we were always well in contention.

Like I''ve told you all many times, the league gets set pretty early on. Teams that come from nowhere is I''m afraid something of a myth. Check out the stats for yourself.

Didn''t palace do it when they came up with us? Didn''t we do it under Worthy when we snuck into the playoffs?

6 points is not really being "out of contention" over the course of half a season anyway?

No Ian, we didnt.

Look for yourself, we were always in contention, we were always around 1.5 points per game or better, we had a positive goal difference.

The outside possibility will keep people interested but personally I''ll be surprised if we finish top ten

6 points is the closest we''ve been for some time. Be honest we''ve never really been in contention. The goal and points average after half the season do not point to enough for the playoffs..

I don''t want to sound like a Jonah but the facts speak for themselves. If the facts change I will change my mind but I really don''t see us getting seven more points than all those in contention above us but by all means dream.

[quote user="ricardo"]No Ian, we didnt.

Look for yourself, we were always in contention, we were always around 1.5 points per game or better, we had a positive goal difference.

The outside possibility will keep people interested but personally I''ll be surprised if we finish top ten[/quote]

Actually Ricardo, I seem to recall losing (0-1) at home to Birmingham in Late Feb early March which put us 6 points outside the play offs. We still managed to sneak in on the last day, despite Gazza’s best efforts for Burnley.

Having said that, we have little chance this season.

Realistically our chances of a play off place are slim but not impossible. Our defensive play has been good lately -although the next few games will provide a more robust test than the likes of Birmingham or Burton it makes a huge difference to our ability to accumulate points. I’m not sure we’ll bring senior players in during this window as Webber is on record with his thoughts about this window. It was a good performance today and with Nelson and Josh firing at their best anything is possible.

Put a half decent goal scorer in that team and we stand a much better chance.

The good news is a good Championship striker is available on loan, who has scored 12 or so goals this season.

The bad news is his name is Lewis Grabban...

Definitely came from nowhere in the early 80s and went up automatically . Not sure if was the Sheffield Weds last match that we lost but still went up season .

We did indeed, put in a fantastic set of performances to come from nowhere that season, Martin O''Neil very much the catalyst. Long way to go this season and clean sheets are a definite basis to kick on; don''t get me wrong we still need more in the attacking department as Farke has alluded to, we will see.

We have a really difficult run, well to be fair Bristol was one of them where I wouldn''t have predicted 3 points.

If we can take points of the teams in the next 6 matches then we stand a chance but realistically we will need a decent CF and another winger to stand half a chance.

Before the Bristol game I posted that our next even games were all against teams higher in the table. So if we can harvest a nice haul of points in those games we will be taking them away from the very teams we need to overtake.

It''s a big ask, but today was the right result and we played well, we just have to keep the momentum going and see where it takes us.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]Before the Bristol game I posted that our next even games were all against teams higher in the table. So if we can harvest a nice haul of points in those games we will be taking them away from the very teams we need to overtake.

It''s a big ask, but today was the right result and we played well, we just have to keep the momentum going and see where it takes us.[/quote]Those teams above us will play to win hopefully, rather than lower level teams that play for a point, which hopefully will give us a better chance of beating them as they will be more open.  We have had a problem when teams sit back and defend for 90 mins, such as Burton.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Rock The Boat"]Before the Bristol game I posted that our next even games were all against teams higher in the table. So if we can harvest a nice haul of points in those games we will be taking them away from the very teams we need to overtake.

It''s a big ask, but today was the right result and we played well, we just have to keep the momentum going and see where it takes us.[/quote]Those teams above us will play to win hopefully, rather than lower level teams that play for a point, which hopefully will give us a better chance of beating them as they will be more open.  We have had a problem when teams sit back and defend for 90 mins, such as Burton.[/quote]

Absolutely. That''s been a big factor in why we''ve had so many good, and surprising, results away from home this season, and been so poor at home.

I think we''re a long way off the playoffs in terms of the football we''ve seen this season. But strange things happen in this sport, and one good run can be enough.