Sign in to follow this  
?

Where Does Maddison Rate?

I don''t think it''s too much of a stretch to say James ranks as the best player in this division. He''s certainly one of the best, and clearly he''ll head on to bigger clubs than Norwich at some point. And, although he''s not truly ''young'' for a footballer, he''s got years of development ahead of him.

The question is, how far do you guys think Maddison can go, in his career?

For me, he''s clearly amongst the best young talents i''ve seen in a Norwich shirt - right up there with the likes of Eadie, Bellamy, and Ashton. But i''ve only been going since 91, so would be interesting to hear how he rates along side City players from earlier times.

Those three all looked, almost from their debuts, that they were too good for ''our level'' and would move on to better things. The first two obviously had huge injury setbacks and never met their full potential - both would have become England regulars, as far as i''m concerned, and played for top sides, with European football. Ashton looked the best English striker i''d seen since Shearer.

Bellamy had a good career, but never seemed to meet his potential either - presumably because he was a bit of a, er.... questionable character, to put it charitably.

Does Maddison achieve more than the three of them?

My old man says he''s the best young talent he''s seen at Norwich, and he''s been going since the 60s. But he''s also prone to exaggerate!

Anyone got any thoughts?

Bellamy was the best I’ve seen; such pace, confidence, ability and of course goals. When he joined Coventry I felt much like I do about Pritchard joining Huddersfield. It’s nothing more than a stepping stone.

Maddison is an enormous talent. I’ve rated him as the best footballer on the field of play more often than I have t this season and he clearly has a huge future that sadly won’t involve a great deal more of Norwich City. He has the cocky assurance that Bellamy had and he shows huge faith in his own ability. Two-footed, vision, goals....he promises much. His next move will be key and I hope it’s the right one for him. Will he play for England? Dunno. But worse players have already. If he has a career as good as Craig Bellamy did then he’ll have done very well indeed.

For now I’ll just enjoy watching him in a proper shirt while I can.

The only doubt I have is his physicality to play in the premier league...does seem still a little lightweight and you wonder which sort of premier league side would accommodate and entrust him with a no.10 role...

Might he toughen up with age?....I''m not sure ...think he''d always be slight of build....can just see the physical nature of the top league in English football being a barrier to him.

Best young outfield player I’ve ever seen at Norwich bar none. Simple as that. He will go to the very top I have absolutely zero doubt.

Tony Cascarino bigging him up on Talksport just now. Says Maddison has the highest assist rate in Europe. Not sue that''s true though, is it?

He was definitely talking about our Maddison, as Georgie Bingham slagged us off after. Think he must have got them mixed up then. Quality broadcasting as usual!

Up there with the internationals Wolves have signed. Less than £25 million would be giving him away but if we can keep him for another 18 months i reckon the price will be higher still.England international in the making.

He has everything going for him and on top of that, is a really nice, down to earth guy. Not cocky or arrogant at all off the football pitch.

Just realised that finish yesterday was with his left leg as well. Presuming he’s right footed as he usually hits free kicks with that one, makes him even more impressive!

Definitely very talented, the end product stats back that up!

I think he needs to see the season out with us at least cause I suspect he''ll improve more staying with us and in the team rather than being in and out of a Prem team.

There''s a great YouTube video of him from a young age, shows how much hard work he''s put in to get to where he is now, the fact he stays late after training most days to practice free kicks says a lot, if he bulks up a bit there''s no reason he can''t go to the very top.

As to rate him as player in a City shirt, always hard to compare against former players, but hes up there with the best of them. As to the physicality of Madders, my opinion is that if he can come thru a 46 game season in the Champs pretty much unscathed, thats testament enough.Hes targeted and clogged regularly in this division, as he was in the Chelsea game, and im sure after most matches his shins and ankles will be burning red, but so far seems to have that knack of escaping any serious injury to his person.His future potential is sky high, its honestly that good. Financially, when the time comes to sell him, his transfer could well single handedly  complete the process of the club going thru and beyond the 2 season parachute stage and survive intact pretty much debt free. Its all conjecture of course, but realistically City could at least double his sell fee compared to the 10-13 million region we have gotten with the Pritchard, Redmond, Brady and Jacob Murphy sales. In a bidding war between some of the top 6 clubs who knows...