Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

the play offs

I keep reading that we can do it and in my most green and yellow dreams we can but Mr Logic quickly makes an appearance. Let''s assume we go on to get 2 points per game from now on (which only one team... Wolves, have managed all year), then we would finish with 74 points (likely 7th or 8th spot). Then look at our goals scored and goals conceded past performance. We stand well for defensive goals conceded but lag badly in scoring them (easily in the bottom 25%). You have to have some realism about all this. We are a team with decent players, performing below potential but with signs it could come together. League 1 we are certainly not but neither are we aspiring Premier contenders. How many feel we can reach the play offs on here? It would help to make sense of expectations. (King, just reading your post ''Our fans'' as I write).

I feel we can make the playoffs. 9 point gap with 20 games to go. Its definitely possible for us to bridge that if we can go on a good run again like we did previously but this time sustain it.

I''m not saying we will do that but there is a chance and i will be very unhappy if our approach to january''s transfer window is to write off this season and concentrate on "rebuilding" to the detriment of any chance of making the playoffs.

Yeah, we''re not making the play-offs.

Against of the current top 6 we have a record of...

Played 6

Won 0

Drawn 1 (Bristol City)

Lost 5 (Villa, Wolves, Derby, Cardiff, Leeds).

Beating the likes of Birmingham and Millwall will keep us clear of relegation battle.

To have even an outside chance of getting in the top 6 we''d need to start consistently beating teams like those I''ve listed above.

Against bottom 6

Beat Birmingham who most teams have beat

Sunderland lost

Bolton lost

Burton boring draws

Barnsley draw

Hull draw

We''d need 2 points a game, or just over. Very unlikely but just about possible. I retain the dream but wouldn''t put any money on it[:)]

80 points would do it, 14 wins, 4 draws and two defeats.  Promotion form, but if you can get on an unbeaten run at this stage, anything is still possible.  It''s still on until it''s not.

lake district canary wrote the following post at 02/01/2018 6:16 PM:

80 points would do it, 14 wins, 4 draws and two defeats. Promotion form, but if you can get on an unbeaten run at this stage, anything is still possible. It''s still on until it''s not.

Lol 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I wonder how many people have said something is impossible - then watch while someone goes and proves it is possible. It is possible and therefore is still the aim of the season - you take each game as it comes and try and win it and see where it gets you.  Surely that''s a sensible way of looking at the season, rather than just writing it off?

[quote user="king canary"]14 wins? We''ve managed 9 in 26 so picking up 14 wins in 20 is not happening.[/quote]How many of those 26 games did we have the likes of half a season injured (Pritch, Lewis) guys and quarter of a season (Tettey, Trybull) guys all fit and all playing in the same eleven? And you cant deny they all had good form against Millwall. I just posted in another topic, if and yes its an if, Farke can now be lucky to go on a string of fixtures with such an eleven, it could be interesting to see what can be achieved.

Possible but unlikely!

Yesterday without Pritchard and Maddison we''d of lost against a poor Millwall side. They provide the only forward thinking sparks cause Farkes laboured, tippy tappy, slow build up style of play with no width doesn''t!

Take them 2 out of the equation and then Tetty and Tryball as well then you have a relegation side!

Keep our best 11 fit till the end of the season then theres a slim chance but that in itself is unlikely and then add in Farkes stifling tactics and then it looks even more unlikely!

I''m only hoping Farke learns more so he changes tactics and we don''t have an injury crisis then we''ll be alright!

Of course there is still a possibility we can reach the playoffs, but all available evidence from watching the project so far implies we are a long way away from going on a run that would give us even a hope of sneaking into 6th. Factor in one or two key outgoings in the January sales and that possibility decreases still further.

Did I watch a different Millwall game to the one that lots of other fans seemingly saw? We were solid enough, but we''re still slow and laboured going forward, despite the obvious spark of Maddison and Pritchard (and don''t start me on Oliveira''s contribution at the moment). It was a decent-ish performance in my opinion, but hardly the great one that some people are ascribing to it.

@Essjayess

To give you some context, at the 26 game mark only 3 teams in the entire league have won 14 or more games. So for us to win 14 in 20 we''d need to essentially be the best team in the league the rest of the season.

So while I rate the players you''ve mentioned, I don''t think they are turning us into the best team in the league.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I wonder how many people have said something is impossible - then watch while someone goes and proves it is possible. It is possible and therefore is still the aim of the season - you take each game as it comes and try and win it and see where it gets you.  Surely that''s a sensible way of looking at the season, rather than just writing it off?

[/quote]Some people like to persist with this delusion despite all the evidence to the contrary and the reality that his been staring us in the face for over two months. As I have repeated many times before on this forum, the league is largely set in stone at around the one third matches played mark ( say 15 games). I haven''t looked but I am prepared to bet that no one team has moved more than four places from its position ten games ago while most will be only two or three places different. Further more I predict at the end of the season no team is going to finish more than four or five places away from their present position. So a high of 8th and a low of 18th. Personally I think it will be closer to the lower figure.

Fuck the play offs, where’s your ambition!? I think we can still make the automatic places. 89 points should do it, 18 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss 👊👊

It''s far from an insurmountable gap - the season we lost to Brum in the final we gained 7pts in 7 games to sneak in - and a side often hits form and comes through from mid-table (Fulham last season). As to whether we are capable of such a sustained spell of form is doubtful from what we''ve seen so far - we''d need to create far more, stop leaking so many goals, find consistent goals from somewhere and for our key players to be fit for the duration.

Probably not but this is such a strange league anything can happen. We made 6th spot with 70 points once. I suspect we will be 10 to 15 points short but it would be an unexpected surprise if it did happen

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]It''s far from an insurmountable gap - the season we lost to Brum in the final we gained 7pts in 7 games to sneak in - and a side often hits form and comes through from mid-table (Fulham last season). As to whether we are capable of such a sustained spell of form is doubtful from what we''ve seen so far - we''d need to create far more, stop leaking so many goals, find consistent goals from somewhere and for our key players to be fit for the duration.[/quote]The season we lost to Brum we were 5th after a third of games played and 4th on Jan 1st. We dropped to ninth at one stage but its a fallacy to think we came from nowhere to grab 6th. Look at the stats and see for yourself.As for Fulham last season they were 3 points off 6th place after a third of the season and 8th,  5 points off 6th with a game in hand on 1st Jan. Once again nowhere near the sort  of late run you seem to think possible for us.Forget it, its long been over.

LDC said exactly the same thing last season about us making up an impossible gap to the auto spots. Needless to say we finished miles off. I think we’ll finish about where we are. The top half teams have got a good record against us and I can’t see us scoring nearly enough goals to win the majority of our matches.

Play-offs? What are some of you on?

The remainder of this season is going to be what it has already been - massively inconsistent. We are not going to make the play-offs.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]LDC said exactly the same thing last season about us making up an impossible gap to the auto spots. Needless to say we finished miles off. I think we’ll finish about where we are. The top half teams have got a good record against us and I can’t see us scoring nearly enough goals to win the majority of our matches.[/quote]It doesn''t matter if you get there or not - it''s the belief that it is possible that is the main thing. In tennis you can be two sets down and 0-5, 0-40 in the third set and still win.  So as long as it is possible, you don''t give up.  The crux of this season is in the last few weeks where nerves and tension start getting the better of teams - and any team putting a run together will be able to get amongst the challengers. We have the players and there is no reason why we can''t start to improve and go on another run, no reason at all.  It may or may not be enough, but the challenge is still there to do it.  I would be very disappointed if anyone at the club has written off this season - and frankly it disappoints me to see fans writing the season off when we have only just reached January.  It may be unlikely, but it is still achievable.

[quote user="king canary"]Against of the current top 6 we have a record of...

Played 6

Won 0 [/quote]Wasn''t that our problem last year in that we didn''t beat the top teams. If we can get some consistency of results maybe we can make the playoffs, but as the beginning of our clubs transition isn''t going well it''s not looking the best.