Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Alex Tettey

Posted this in another thread but worth a repeat I think.

Has started 10 games of which we’ve won 8, drawn 2 and lostb0. Conceded 3 goals in those games.

Not convinced we shouldn’t be trying to at least tempt him with another year whilst we bed in the youngsters.

When Tettey plays with a back three it allows Pinto and Lewis to push forward knowing we still have cover if needed at the back.

Great stat and fingers crossed Godfrey & Thompson are ready for next season.

If we can do it we should be trying, if him and Godfrey could overlap careers wise next season it would be great, i think he could teach Godfrey alot. Until recently Tettey has been a deeply under appreciated player with alot of the fan base his potential exit and the time missing this season has just underlined how important he''s been to the club over the time he''s been here.

I’ve been critical of Tettey.

Imo he’s never been quite good enough for the prem. He was good for us during the Wembley campaign, but last season he looked like his legs had gone.

But clearly the stats are more than just a coincidence. I think it is possibly more to do with his organisational and leadership skills, that come with his experience, rather than ability.

Why must it be something purely to do with Tettey himself, rather than Farke''s instigating a different style of play which suits him better?

Tettey is our most important player. It''s not obvious from watching him but it becomes abundantly apparent when he doesn''t play.

Farke wanted to get rid of him but has now realised what an integral part of our defence he plays. Why did he he get a yellow today? Is that just refs saying is Tettey he needs a card every match.

[quote user="Indy"]When Tettey plays with a back three it allows Pinto and Lewis to push forward knowing we still have cover if needed at the back.

Great stat and fingers crossed Godfrey & Thompson are ready for next season.[/quote]

what''s has happened to Thompson???? as an under 23 watcher he was the pick of our youth imo

@westcoast

Got any stats, or evidence, to back up your argument?

Because we haven’t really tried anything different between August international break and today in terms of styles of play?

When Tettey hasn’t been fit it’s been like for like changes, the difference without Tettey has been noticeable.

@Rogue Baboon
My post was a response to lincoln, who compared Tettey this season with how he was in the previous two seasons. I''ve no quarrel with comments about what we''ve seen from him this season. I think Farke has altered how Tettey (along with others) plays though; he is less prone to chase the ball, more disciplined positionally, etc.

[quote user="mastoola"]

what''s has happened to Thompson???? as an under 23 watcher he was the pick of our youth imo[/quote]Second Achilles injury - might be out for the whole season

Wonderful player at this level we must do our best to keep him here albeit he would have to accept the new wage regime. Still remember him being introduced to the fans after signing

Pure legend for us, deffo need to get him a year extension. As for the Godfrey overlap, it’s no coincidence that Maddison has come on leaps and bounds with Wes to learn off, tettey could do the same for Godfrey next season.

I thought this might be one season too many for Alex at the start of this campaign, but I could not have been more wrong. He’s been tremendous for us this season, and a really integral part of our best performances. Just goes to show how important it is to remember that class is permanent, and form temporary. That’s why I remain a big Nelson Oliveira fan, so before you want shot, be careful what you wish for.

Re: Alex Tettey, the Newcastle debacle springs to mind when he was taken off by Alex Neil in that disastrous tactical change (with hindsight!). Dilemma for Farke this Wednesday - strong team = Tettey starting. But perhaps the three points next Saturday against a highly motivated Sheffield United team should be prioritised, and beyond that. Another injury to Tettey; we all know what that means. With a fully fit squad, we''re very competitive, but that''s a rarity. If we lose the likes of Gunn, Pinto, Klose, Lewis, Tettey, Maddison or Murphy, suddenly things look thin. Maybe everyone bar Wolves is like that, I don''t know.

Re: Oliveira, unless a ridiculous offer, e.g. £8m+ is on the table, I think we should try to keep him (assuming he wants to be here). Form can indeed go through peaks & troughs and he is right up there with the best at Championship level when he''s on his game. As much as I like him, perhaps it''s time to bank a million for Big Cam and bring in a ''younger model''. Sorry CJ! It happens to us all!

Been our best player for years yet some of our idiot crowd moan constantly because he doesn''t play 50 yard passes all over the pitch, if I had a pound for every time some nob in the snakepit shouted out "sideways tettey" I wouldn''t have to work. Since his arrival whenever he''s not in the team we look much worse defensively, even the dumbest football fan should realise how important he is in the roll he plays, I just hope when Godfrey gets blooded in next season the crowd don''t start giving him grief because he''s not as instantly affective.