Sign in to follow this  
Parma Ham's gone mouldy

Parma’s Tactics Masterclass 18

In the scenario of Jerome and Oliveira leaving, I just can''t see Murphy leading the line (being our Thierry Henry). There are times when we will always need to have an ''out ball'' when a strong striker will either need to head the ball or hold it up while others come and support him. I''m afraid I can''t see Josh doing either of those.

Giving him the ball when in possession to enable him to run at a defence is a different matter, I thought he did very well in the second half on New Year''s Day.

Wc

“Pinto seems reluctant to drive into the box himself”

We see Pinto making several energy sapping runs during a game down the righ flank but often he will not get the ball, even though he is in space. Even if he did get the ball in these positions he would end up having to check his run or cut inside to look for support as there is nobody busting a gut to get in the box. He is capable of getting in behind but there is little point when there is nobody to deliver a cross to.

I really can’t see the purpose in these runs if he is not going to get the ball, yes I guess it stretches the defence a bit,if indeed they pay any attention to him, but if we lose the ball in midfield we are exposed by the space he has left.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Murphy isn’t enough of a composed or clinical finisher to play up front. Ridiculous suggestion.[/quote]
One thing Murphy is, is a pretty good finisher.

Agree with Hogesar. The goals against Birmingham, Arsenal and Brentford demonstrate Murphy has the nous required in front of goal. Could he be better, sure, but that may well come with playing as a striker more often.

He is, after all, our top goalscorer this season despite not playing a fully central role.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]Agree with Hogesar. The goals against Birmingham, Arsenal and Brentford demonstrate Murphy has the nous required in front of goal. Could he be better, sure, but that may well come with playing as a striker more often.

He is, after all, our top goalscorer this season despite not playing a fully central role.[/quote]

Without taking away too much credit, his finishes against Arsenal and Birmingham looked a little awkward to me. He certainly didn''t look composed.

Genuinely no idea how you see his finish against Arsenal as ''a little awkward''. He stunts his run to draw the keeper out further, then dinks the ball in on the outside of his boot. And that''s not even mentioning the awareness to get back on side and in space for the initial run. You can watch it here, about 30 seconds in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfvSa_QoXiA

From earlier in this thread RTB:

I actually thought that Naismith would be a great signing for us. His three quarter, fluid positioning style, excellent off-field character references and ability to score goals running beyond from deep, coupled with a passionate will to win looked ideal for us. As with Klose we needed him in the summer to adjust, but that Naismith hasn’t worked out isn’t as damning in my view as ending up with arguably 8 number 10s (or wide-ish non-defending forward players) of whom only one or two maximum could ever really play (Wes, Naismith, Pritchard, Canos, Murphy, Murphy, Maddison, Wildschut) without compromising our defensive structure. As it repeatedly did. ”

As with Murphy, my analysis takes into account the current parameters that we face, not dreamworld scenarios where we can get our ‘druthers..

If Naismith can be found a home elsewhere, then it is highly likely that he will go. Should he not, then I would look not only at what he can do, but also what we need.

I believe Naismith is an intelligent, diligent, responsible player with a will to win. I believe he has the character to be influential. Thus he is paradoxically either fully excluded or completely central.

As Tettey leaves, as Reed may or may not be retained and the importance of the single or double CDM pivot (one who doesn’t move much from Station), then I have previously suggested he be re-trained to this role. We cannot afford to buy, if we cannot move him on, we simply must maximise what resources we have. Should this include coaching others (aiding Godfrey or Thompson say), then embrace that too. Football is full of realpolitik pragmatism and it was ever thus.

As for Murphy’s role, whilst Jacob was always a wide player, developing into a modern 3/4 fluid attacker, Josh was a more central player, often playing striking roles. He is not Grant Holt, he is maybe more false 9 (great), but he has nevertheless scored 8 goals in a season he has described as frustrating, disappointing and erratic. He makes runs like a striker, he thinks of scoring before creating like a striker, he instinctively heads towards goal upon receiving the ball, he is always looking to shoot, he doesn’t much like defending or tracking back and his first thought is to do everything himself......What kind of player does that identikit sound like?

Add that to potential sale of Oliveira, possible sale of Jerome, lack of finances to buy established strikers, Watkins being in my view less dangerous as a striker than Murphy, then available parameters make it a perfectly valid solution.

Given also that we have limited Crown Jewels - several of which will have to be sold - we must also polish saleable jewels for the near future. If it worked - and Murphy established himself as a decent striker - then his value would also increase dramatically. All at no cost.

Parma

This is one of the more interesting discussions I''ve seen on here...I don''t think Murphy is the perfect striker: he lacks composure at times as well as not being the most intelligent or creative in terms of his movement, positioning and decision making. However, he has terrifying pace, good control and pretty good finishing. I''m sure the weaker aspects of his game would improve with experience in the new role and it would certainly solve the problems caused by his occasional poor defensive positioning as a winger by absolving him of those responsibilities. Short of signing an actually good striker, I think this is a reasonable idea.Really, the club is paying the price for poor recruitment particularly with strikers. Not since Grant Holt has a forward we signed actually performed to a high enough standard. Arguably Jerome has performed OK in the championship previously but there have been a string of failures and generally too many mediocre players and definitely not enough forwards in the squad. Now it seems that there is only Olivera and he simply doesn''t perform to a high enough level on a consistent basis.There are no two ways about it, our shooting has been awful. We have the 2nd highest shots per game (14, behind only Brentford on 17.4) but are only 13th for shots on target (4) and shockingly we are 20th for goals per game (1) and 23rd for goals per shot (7%).

I come back to what I said earlier; Murphy would only be a consistent threat with the ball at his feet, running at defenders. He isn''t as effective with his back to goal or competing for a long/high ball and he''s not going to suddenly grow 3 or 4 inches and bulk out to become like Oliveira or Jerome.

It might work in the Premiership or in Spain, but it will never work in the Championship while teams set up (us included) with tall, strong centre halves.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]Genuinely no idea how you see his finish against Arsenal as ''a little awkward''. He stunts his run to draw the keeper out further, then dinks the ball in on the outside of his boot. And that''s not even mentioning the awareness to get back on side and in space for the initial run. You can watch it here, about 30 seconds in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfvSa_QoXiA[/quote]

Its just a very unusual finish. I''m not sold he completely meant to do what he did. A clean side foot strike would have done the job. Why would you choose to try and dink the ball at waist height past (not over) the keeper in that situation?

It was still a great goal, I just don''t think you can use that as an example of a confident, clinical finisher. You might counter that and say he was so confident he tried something audacious, like the true greats sometimes do. But I don''t think this was the case.

His finish against Birmingham wasn''t the most convincing.

Murphy''s better when he just puts his foot through the ball from range. His technique when hitting a ball is very good, so expect to see some long range crackers. But finishing in and around the box with only a split second to react is not something he will do well. He''s not a striker, especially in this division.

[quote user="Van wink"]Woodman, I don’t think the idea is that we would be pumping High balls to him.[/quote]

No, I accept that, but there are many times in games when the only out ball is a long pass/clearance out of defence - particularly when teams press high against our centre halves and goal keeper. We are not good enough - yet - at passing our way out of these situations and I doubt that this is going to change in the near future.

We''ve seen teams like Brentford, Derby, Leeds, Sheff Utd and many more press high against us, which inevitably results in a long clearance, but at least with Oliveira or Jerome, there is a chance of them holding the ball up to retain possession. Murphy can''t do that.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Legend Iwan"]Agree with Hogesar. The goals against Birmingham, Arsenal and Brentford demonstrate Murphy has the nous required in front of goal. Could he be better, sure, but that may well come with playing as a striker more often.

He is, after all, our top goalscorer this season despite not playing a fully central role.[/quote]

Without taking away too much credit, his finishes against Arsenal and Birmingham looked a little awkward to me. He certainly didn''t look composed.[/quote]
Give over.
He''s a good finisher. It''s the one attribute constantly praised to him by all the managers / coaches we''ve had whilst he''s been with us. He has two good feet and always tries to bend the ball rather than smash it. To say his finish against Arsenal was awkward is hysterical. But then again, Reading fans have always been a little odd.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Legend Iwan"]Agree with Hogesar. The goals against Birmingham, Arsenal and Brentford demonstrate Murphy has the nous required in front of goal. Could he be better, sure, but that may well come with playing as a striker more often.

Without taking away too much credit, his finishes against Arsenal and Birmingham looked a little awkward to me. He certainly didn''t look composed.[/quote]
Give over.
He''s a good finisher. It''s the one attribute constantly praised to him by all the managers / coaches we''ve had whilst he''s been with us. He has two good feet and always tries to bend the ball rather than smash it. To say his finish against Arsenal was awkward is hysterical. But then again, Reading fans have always been a little odd.
[/quote]

Wake up Hoggy.

Murphy is not what most footballing fans with any ounce of know how would describe as a ''finisher.''

Murphy misses too many guilt edge chances to fall into that category. If you can''t see that your obviously not too savvy when it comes to judging players. Mind, you do have plenty of history when it comes to poor player judgement.

Murphy as a striker will not work.

I don''t care what ''fans'' like you think. I do care a bit more about what the coaches and managers who have worked with him say. Oh, and if you look at other replies you''ll see that actual fans (not Reading fans) do seem to see him as a pretty good finisher.
I''m not saying if Murphy will work as a striker but knowing Parma''s previous experience in the game (more than you, I dare say), I reckon i''ll take his opinion and viewpoint on board over yours.

Woodman, one simple way around needing to go long and having Murphy upfront would be to kick it even further than usual, over the top of the defensive line and allow Murphy to run on to it. Having this as a method of attack would prove effective against high pressing teams, and create extra space against those that sit deep by stretching the play.

It worked well for Leicester in their title-winning season, and Pep Guardiola, who Farke models his own philosophy on, utilises the method at Man City. While many focus on Ederson''s ''fancy footwork'', it''s his kicking that is so impressive: long, hard and, most importantly, incredibly accurate. Here''s a thread with a bit more detail: https://twitter.com/David_Powderly/status/940319441103048704

Murphy is currently a bang average finisher. But there is potential there to have better coached into him

[quote user="Woodman"][quote user="Van wink"]Woodman, I don’t think the idea is that we would be pumping High balls to him.[/quote]

No, I accept that, but there are many times in games when the only out ball is a long pass/clearance out of defence - particularly when teams press high against our centre halves and goal keeper. We are not good enough - yet - at passing our way out of these situations and I doubt that this is going to change in the near future.

We''ve seen teams like Brentford, Derby, Leeds, Sheff Utd and many more press high against us, which inevitably results in a long clearance, but at least with Oliveira or Jerome, there is a chance of them holding the ball up to retain possession. Murphy can''t do that.[/quote] The answer lies in playing the right type of long clearance; there is the whole width of the pitch, and a lot of space behind the back line of a team pressing high up. The ball to play is the one that allows Murphy to get on to it first, before any defender (including the goalkeeper). Plenty of teams utilise that strategy, with small but quick central attackers. How many balls do Leicester play expecting Vardy to receive back to goal with a big CB breathing down his neck?

Thanks westcoast and legend iwan - that''s more appropriate to his playing style & the Leicester analogy is fair. I''m not sure it fits totally with Farke''s possession based mantra though. He seems to have spent a whole pre-season and first half of the league trying to get players to pass to each other rather than play percentages with longer passes.

I would be interested in whether Parma agrees with the theory - and indeed his opinion of the Leicester style.

Pace in behind is all well and good but we''ve already seen this season that teams are happy to sit deep and let us play in front of them, particularly at Carrow Road. So having Murphy up top isn''t going to help break that down.

[quote user="Woodman"] ..........  I''m not sure it fits totally with Farke''s possession based mantra though. He seems to have spent a whole pre-season and first half of the league trying to get players to pass to each other rather than play percentages with longer passes.......[/quote]I don''t think Farke''s intention is to build one-dimensionality into the team; more likely he aims for a team who collectively do what is optimum for the moment, and there are moments when a long clearance is the optimum (attack-wise as well as defensively speaking).

Hoola Han Solo wrote the following post at 03/01/2018 12:31 PM:

Murphy isn’t enough of a composed or clinical finisher to play up front. Ridiculous suggestion.

🤔

[quote user="Van wink"]Hoola Han Solo wrote the following post at 03/01/2018 12:31 PM:

Murphy isn’t enough of a composed or clinical finisher to play up front. Ridiculous suggestion.

🤔[/quote]

Parma, you must be very pleased with that performance. I was watching the overloading down the left with great interest.

I''m surprised chelsea didn''t switch it about more.