Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Bristol City Match Thread

[quote user="ron obvious"]What on earth were all the yellow cards about? Tettey''s in particular seemed to come out of nowhere.[/quote]Tettey was incensed by something said to him and had to be held back by teammates; he had lost it and got himself booked in consequence. The extra extra time was understandable given City time wasting. Just go back and time how long it took Gunn to take a goal kick (at about 90 + 4). Actually I was surprised he didn''t get booked.

[quote user="hogesar"]Apart from its not idiotic, because Vrancic regularly gets picked out by certain posters on here when we lose despite never being the worst player on the pitch.[/quote]

It was a fairly typical Vrancic display. Was a passenger for long periods but interspersed with some moments of quality and some good passes. That’s what you seem to get from him. His quality on the ball is not in doubt but he still needs more presence and to improve defensively.

Ref was woefully home biased. Pathetic display from Hooper.

Vrancic has the passing vision that opened up Bristol and led to the goal. He also put in the hard yards so fair play to him.

I loved the return to three at the back which looks so much better with Klose, Zims and Hanley, I was particularly impressed by Zims leadership and Klose''s positioning on the left.

Gunn was brilliant.

Tetty essential.

Nelson responsible for preventing the second goal. Knob.

Great win.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="hogesar"]Apart from its not idiotic, because Vrancic regularly gets picked out by certain posters on here when we lose despite never being the worst player on the pitch.[/quote]

It was a fairly typical Vrancic display. Was a passenger for long periods but interspersed with some moments of quality and some good passes. That’s what you seem to get from him. His quality on the ball is not in doubt but he still needs more presence and to improve defensively.[/quote]A passenger for long periods? Unlike the more eye-catching ball-chasers, Vrancic has good appreciation of how play is developing and positions himself accordingly. Just check out how often he turns up in exactly the right position to influence the next but one passage of play, including defensively. "Presence" shows itself in different ways. 

Some posters, when attacked for their negativity, come up with the defence that they are positive when it is warranted. So I compared the match thread for the Brentford home defeat with the totality of  the match thread and the team news thread - because they covered the same ground  - for this win at Bristol City.Despite it being a home game, with many posters at Carrow Road, and perhaps less able to post, the Brentford match thread ran to five pages during the game, with no fewer than 10 posts - not hard to guess whether they were positive or unfailingly negative - from the Mylene Farmer fan (otherwise known as Making Plans).Today the match thread, despite being being for an away game, ran to just one page during the game, with the team news thread running to just over two pages. And the sole contribution from Mylene''s admirer was one post:"Maddison - will be tough without him when he''s gone."I must say it is a kind of a talent to see only a negative in such a good result.. To be fair (why I cannot imagine but...)  others of these "I am postive when warranted" posters (they tend to reference Dean Coney for some reason) have made themselves scare or even disappeared altogether. While one poster - and not for the first time - is seemingly away in the Highlands unable to get an internet connection.

There are many Highlands in Norwich Purple. Just Home from the M4, M25, M11 move. MOM Gunn, champagne moment Maddison, special mention to Tettey. Expect none of these to help in next season’s relegation battle Purple:-)

Good post Purple.

Westcoast, thanks for doing the responding on Vrancic for me. Ive had a few drinks so you have certainly put it far more eloquently than i would have!

45th wedding anniversary Saturday and Mrs KG''s 64th birthday Sunday so copious amounts of the Black Stuff and Pinot Grigio meant I didn''t know anything other than the result.

But totally happy with a good result and probably an end to any real lingering relegation fears.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]@hogesar
Drinks? I celebrate by having my favourite breakfast, a green smoothie. Great start to the day [:D]
[/quote]
That''s all part of the long-distant plastic routine though [;)]